RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News Announcements and News of interest to the RadioReference.com Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. Members are encouraged to post news and information here for the community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 2:15 PM

I always liked there shortwave utility monitoring logs.

Last edited by WayneH; 08-16-2013 at 8:28 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2013, 8:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is Popular Communications staying in business? I just got a renewal card in today.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 8:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Monitoring Times magazine to cease publication

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Is Popular Communications staying in business? I just got a renewal card in today.

Thanks
I don't think anyone here as anything that would be considered "inside information" on that.

Chances are pretty good that they are not going anywhere for awhile, especially since they are now "the only game in town", so to speak.

I would renew without thinking twice.
Old 08-31-2013, 8:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Jim one thing i Found out there at M.T. is that through the end of Oct. and maybe past that Date there going to have Copies of the Magazine on CD or DVD format as they have in years past and they may put the 2013 year on CD or DVD as Well

I'm getting mine Soon as I want to throw some of my old M.T. Mags away and get there one DVD they offer it covers years 1999 -- 2008 I'm also getting the years 2009 -- 2012 on DVD..
Old 09-01-2013, 8:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yeah, I may do the same, Ra. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 09-01-2013, 1:07 PM

I used to pick up MT from time to time, back in the days when there were newstand and magazine stores that didn't cater to best sellers and 'hits.'

I am sure it that MT will be remembered fondly and its contribution will be missed.
Old 09-07-2013, 9:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Angry Monitoring Times refund (if you can call it a refund)

after asking I received my $9 and change refund for 6 or 7 issues left on my subscription after the planned cease in publication.

I had asked for access to online back issues to fill in my collection.
the way I see it I had paid for a years subscription and they supplied/ will be supplying 6 issues by the time of the cessation of publication and they refunded the cost of 1 and a half issues at cover price. after I had asked for access to past online issues instead of a refund.

I enjoyed MT for years but it was their choice to cease publication while still having obligations to fulfill was a lack in responsibility and judgment. if they were planning to cease operations the should not have taken subscriptions past the date of planned cessation.

I considered the refund an unsatisfactory compensation for an unfilled obligation

While I enjoyed and looked forward to every issue of Monitoring Times, and Bob Grove is so concerned about keeping control of his legacy and reputation he will not sell or otherwise dispose of the Monitoring Times or Grove Enterprises names websites etc..., the fist thing that will come to mind for myself and I am sure quite a few others is how we got stiffed as he ceased publication by CHOOSING to retire.

If there were circumstances beyond their control forcing retirement I would not gripe, but he made a choice and decided to skip out on obligations and decided how much of a refund he was going to part with instead of giving back the full value of what was paid for.

I know this is a lot of BS over a stupid magazine subscription, its not the actual money that is at issue it is the principal and the fact that I had asked for access to older issues instead of a refund and it fell on deaf ears, as grove enterprises decided how much of the subscription money he was going to retire with without fulfilling the obligations.

Well Bob is concerned about his legacy and reputation how is this for a start?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Very sad news indeed to us hobbyist. However, the timing could not be better. With the economy in the tank and some parts of the hobby shrinking it's the perfect time for Bob and Judy to enjoy a well deserved rest. The Grove dynasty will always be cherished, respected, and well remembered. I need to make one last visit to Brasstown.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:55 AM

Default New Online Publication to Replace Monitoring Times

In the November issue of Monitoring Times, Ken Reitz, the managing editor, announced that he (along with other members of the Monitoring Times staff) will be launching a replacement magazine online (in PDF format), beginning in January. The new publication is called The Spectrum Monitor. Its website, which is not yet up and running, will be The Spectrum Monitor. There is no information regarding subscription cost in the announcement - Ken Reitz refers the reader to the new website (which, as I noted, isn't running yet) for more information.

I don't want to copy and paste the entire announcement because (1) it's long, and (2) it's copyrighted. For those who are currently receiving Monitoring Times, you can read the whole thing in the "Communications" column on page 7 of the November issue.

Since the new publication will be from the same staff as Monitoring Times, I'm optimistic that it will be a good publication worth subscribing to.
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2013, 6:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

This is good news, indeed!
Old 10-10-2013, 7:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool Burned by Grove

although I feel I got burned by Bob Grove I don't think anyone should hold it against the new start up by the staff of Monitoring Times

The information provided by Monitoring Times and their staff was excellent I just disagreed with the way Bob ended the magazine and his poor choice in accepting subscriptions beyond his PLANNED retirement and the way refunds were given back to those that did subscribe I feel it was Bobs way of padding his retirement with unearned income on his way out of the business.

I wish Ken Reitz, the managing editor and everyone in the new start up at The Spectrum Monitor good luck and look foreword to the launch of the new magazine.
Old 10-10-2013, 2:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thumbs up Great News to Hear..

Well that is :EXCELLENT news to hear and with Monitoring Times Anthology now going to Include the Full year of 2013 as well as the other years past It makes things seem kind of Bright again..

Last edited by bear780ks; 10-10-2013 at 2:20 PM..
Old 10-14-2013, 1:49 PM

In case anyone here missed it, a new thread was started regarding the new publication:

Monitoring Times Staff to Publish New Magazine

That thread was just updated with additional information, including subscription cost.
Old 10-14-2013, 2:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracavon View Post
In case anyone here missed it, a new thread was started regarding the new publication:

Monitoring Times Staff to Publish New Magazine

That thread was just updated with additional information, including subscription cost.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 2:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the updates!