Western Maryland police agencies moving to encrypted radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

By DON AINESdona@herald-mail.com
10:03 p.m. EDT, August 21, 2013

The Hagerstown Police Department announced Wednesday that it is going to a fully encrypted radio system — a move prompted, in part, by downloadable applications that make police calls available on cellphones, Police Chief Mark Holtzman said.

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is using encrypted channels for its communications, while its primary communications channel is expected to be reprogrammed for encryption by about Sept. 1, Deputy 1st Class Carly Hose said.

State police communications might become fully encrypted once a statewide 700-megahertz digital system is adopted in 2015-16, Summers said.

More at: Western Maryland police agencies moving to encrypted radios - herald-mail.com

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

jparks29

John McClane
HAGERSTOWN, Md. — Hagerstown Police Chief Mark Holtzman says the department is moving to a fully encrypted radio system because the proliferation of wireless technology allows criminals to listen on their cellphones.

Read more here: HAGERSTOWN, Md.: Hagerstown police moving to encrypted radio system - Business Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com

Yeah, because Hagerstown is such a major city and has SUCH a problem with banks being knocked over by people using scanners.

In MD, it's illegal to use a scanner in the furtherance of a crime.....

Who wants to bet how many prosecutions there have been for it........?

Just another way to hide from the public.

MdListener

State police communications might become fully encrypted once a statewide 700-megahertz digital system is adopted in 2015-16, Summers said.

I think Mr Summers in incorrect about MSP fully encrypting on the 700 system. While they will have some encrypted talkgroups, they plan to leave the dispatch channel in the clear at all barracks.

SCPD

QRT
Like Australia and others APCO suggests it and as technology is available and regions capable eventually all police will be going secure. The modern age of homeland security is priority whether many agree with it. So I read. Make no mistake those who say it'll never happen it'll take time wont happen over night but for sure eventually it will. Not saying I disagree or agree but it's a fact many like to deny or make excuse otherwise.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and what a handy excuse it is. what is sad is how the dumb general public does not care. They will take whatever the bloated, ineffective government throws at them, and open up their wallets to pay for it. "Homeland security theater" is the most expensive fraud ever perpetrated on this county, and it just goes on and on and on.

People are gladly submitting to unlawful search and seizure, unwarranted surveillance of their daily activities, their private records- and yet they are totally okay with it.

I guess those "terrorists" won didn't they. After all, the goal of terrorism is to change our way of life. Looks like that was successful, not to mention a great benefit of trillions of dollars flow into companies who's names end in "solutions" and a few you might not even think of, like Lockheed Martin- are now in the information business. All of course, to keep us safe...right.

It didn't stop Boston. It didn't stop the shoe bomber. It won't stop the next act. Neither will encryption stop the next burglary down the street, carjacking, or financial fraud crimes perpetrated by the banksters.

But hey, you want to feel safe, so it sounds good right? Who cares how much it costs, or what it really impacts...it's to keep us "safe".

But I do agree, to deny that unauthorized streaming is having a direct impact on our hobby means one is living in denial.

and denial is a popular state of mind these days.

w2txb

Maybe, if we all just stop the streaming, the police will suddenly just stop the encryption, and we can all just get along?

That would happen at the same time the Pope converts to Judaism. Seriously, the encryption will happen, regardless of the excuses, because we (not just the scannerheads) tolerate it. After all, is giving up some freedoms not a worthwhile price to pay for a guarantee of increased security? ;)

One13Truck

Feed Provider
UUUuuummmmm in the years before RR existed I had my own feed for the area that was loved by the departments that it covered. They were upset when I was unable to continue to broadcast it after a former computer crashed. Now that I have it on RR/Broadcasity they regularly listen to it and I will get texts or emails from them asking why it's down when I have to shut it down to do computer maintenance. Heck when something is going on they will pass it on as part of their announcement so people can use it to listen. They GET that it's helpful to people that don't have the ability to listen otherwise and they also know there are certain channels that I don't broadcast that are used as TAC channels so anything sensitive goes on those channels. So not everywhere is using it as an excuse to encrypt.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT
I wouldn't blame rr. Encryption issue is due to the world we live in, bad economy and allot of fear of the next tragedy what if etc and public unrest. I noticed only. Couple or so use the feeds as excuse. The majority who do utilize encryption neer say a word regarding feeds and mos liked it for public awareness or tips. But we live in. Bad times crimes up due to economy issues. I think the issues on it should be out to rest. Because complaining here isn't going to get It anywhere. I guarantee prior to most encrypting there was commission votes and meetings and I guarantee majority of folks never bothered to attend these meetings knowin what there local governments nex agenda is. On a added note I know of several Pds considering it not due to feeds but other reasons and APCO eventually requiring anyone wanting grants for new equipment to follow the federal guidelines. Many are saving time and just going to it now as later it will be mandated from above I you want funds. But the added note issue they are considering blocking many vol fire depts did to fact there is lack of accountability. Example is several vol ha issued radios others takin extra. The near by pd was in them with there secure channels and keys. Someone savy read the radios and another came across a key loader and read it. Obviously someone above in fire command allowed lack of security and admin with radios but I also see more Pds encoding there own locking state an near by towns out later in due to things like this and then either going to a central dispatch or relying on the interop freqs for clear comms to communicate. Not hijacking sorry if it seems but there are many reasons encoding is becoming more in use. If it happens it happens. Only way to chnge it is to attend local commission meetings and large numbers locally gather to resolve it prove how the scanner user helps. Blaming Lindsey is not the way to go. I find the feeds are welcomed by many agencies.

jparks29

John McClane
Fine with me.

Encrypted systems are easier to take off line, more prone to failure, thanks to Mr Murphy.

Multipath FTMFW, watch the BER climb and watch the radios go silent.

They'll learn their lesson, eventually.

Hopefully, when it happens, it won't cost anyone their life.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

I have a stupid question.

What happened to the whole interoperability thing? You know... the police officers could talk to the street sweepers... The garbage trucks can talk to the FD... Town A could talk to town B. At what point did Hagerstown say, we just spent all this money for this system for interoperability so when Al Qaeda strikes again we'll be prepared but now it's more important that nobody can hear the police (and now all that is out the window)?!

Last edited:

JoeyC

I have a stupid question.

What happened to the whole interoperability thing? You know... the police officers could talk to the street sweepers... The garbage trucks can talk to the FD... Town A could talk to town B. At what point did Hagerstown say, we just spent all this money for this system for interoperability so when Al Qaeda strikes again we'll be prepared but now it's more important that nobody can hear the police (and now all that is out the window)?!

You haven't learned anything after all the trolling you do on these forums? They go to an unencrypted common channel.

rapidcharger

You haven't learned anything after all the trolling you do on these forums? They go to an unencrypted common channel.

They could do that before.
The idea was to dial up the agency on your radio that you wanted and press the PTT button. Not to switch to a mutual aid channel and hope someone you want to talk to has done the same.

JoeyC

They could do that before.
The idea was to dial up the agency on your radio that you wanted and press the PTT button. Not to switch to a mutual aid channel and hope someone you want to talk to has done the same.

Welcome to the 21st century. Times have changed, systems have evolved. Maybe you should too.

Go learn about interoperability and you might find there is more to it than chatting on the radio.

slicerwizard

Fine with me.

Encrypted systems are easier to take off line, more prone to failure, thanks to Mr Murphy.

Multipath FTMFW, watch the BER climb and watch the radios go silent.

They'll learn their lesson, eventually.

Hopefully, when it happens, it won't cost anyone their life.
Nice uninformed rant you've got there.

BER has no more effect on encrypted comms than it does on clear comms.

rapidcharger

Welcome to the 21st century. Times have changed, systems have evolved. Maybe you should too.

Go learn about interoperability and you might find there is more to it than chatting on the radio.

Instead of being persnickety, why don't you explain it to me?
I come to this site to learn.

There is another forum that excludes people for not having an advanced knowledge of everything. They constantly make fun of this forum and the members and I think that's awful. It was my understanding that newbie questions were allowed here, not criticized. I think I asked a fair question and people only seem to want to rehash the same old arguments about streaming and encryption but not discuss the actual consequences of encryption.

Although maybe it's not such a newbie question after all because I know from first hand experience when my hometown encrypted, none of the surrounding agencies could converse with them. Are you saying they are using ESP or telepathy to communicate in the 21st century? Please fill me in. If you don't know the answers either, that's fine but don't be rude, okay?

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I was in Hagerstown this morning and noticed the PD traffic was silent . Has the change been made? I didn't even hear any encrypted traffic ......or see any TGIDs associated with LE even MSP lowband was quiet.

jparks29

John McClane
Nice uninformed rant you've got there.

BER has no more effect on encrypted comms than it does on clear comms.

I'm very well aware of how the systems work. Not every encrypted system is based on a P25/digital system.

You should try a cool trick sometime, if you got a /\/\...

Hold down the top side button and your emergency button at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.