Whittmore, MI - W-P selling buses, buying radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

LOL. This is so stoooooopid. How many kids can ride to school safely aboard a MotoTRBO digital radio?

JRayfield

How many kids can be hurt or die when a crummy old analog radio system doesn't work properly or give enough coverage?

There's two sides to every coin.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

LOL. This is so stoooooopid. How many kids can ride to school safely aboard a MotoTRBO digital radio?

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
I'm by no means an expert, but with all of the issues digital caused for Police and Fire agencies I think the bigger question might be "How many kids can get hurt when a new, expensive digital system doesn't work." Obviously all systems will have some problems, but it seems to me that analog has a statistically lower failure rate than the newer digital systems.

D

DaveNF2G

How many kids got hurt before every school bus in the country had a two-way radio in it?

JRayfield

Most schools (except maybe the smallest, most rural schools) have had two-way radio systems for many years, long before we had school shootings and other such serious problems like what we have to deal with now.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

How many kids got hurt before every school bus in the country had a two-way radio in it?

JRayfield

You're trying to lump all 'digital' into one big 'mold'. That doesn't work. When implemented properly, the current digital systems, such as MOTOTRBO, work extremely well for schools. In cases that I've seen personally, the MOTOTRBO systems have performed MUCH better than those schools' old analog system ever performed, even when new.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

I'm by no means an expert, but with all of the issues digital caused for Police and Fire agencies I think the bigger question might be "How many kids can get hurt when a new, expensive digital system doesn't work." Obviously all systems will have some problems, but it seems to me that analog has a statistically lower failure rate than the newer digital systems.

D

DaveNF2G

Most schools (except maybe the smallest, most rural schools) have had two-way radio systems for many years, long before we had school shootings and other such serious problems like what we have to deal with now.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

And yet those serious problems occurred in bigger school districts with lots of money. Technology is not the answer, especially when making choices between advanced radios and expenditures that might actually increase public safety.

JRayfield

The little boy who was kidnapped right off of a bus, sometime in the last year or so, was not in a big town. That happened in a rural area.

I agree, that technology is not always the answer to fixing everything. It sometimes even creates more problems. However, technology is the answer in some cases.

My father, earlier today, spoke with the Superintendent of a very small rural school in our area. This school has had an analog radio system for many years. It was working properly, as well as could be expected of an analog system.

It was replaced with a MOTOTRBO system not too many months ago.

They now have considerably better coverage than before (including better coverage in the school buildings themselves, with portables).

The Superintendent said that "they love their digital radios".

Having fast, reliable communications, throughout a school and to/from the buses, is extremely important, much more so now than in the past.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

And yet those serious problems occurred in bigger school districts with lots of money. Technology is not the answer, especially when making choices between advanced radios and expenditures that might actually increase public safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.