RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News Announcements and News of interest to the RadioReference.com Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. Members are encouraged to post news and information here for the community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 1:06 PM

Default Motorola Accuses Ex-VP Of Stealing Trade Secrets

Law360, New York (September 04, 2013, 1:39 PM ET) -- Motorola Solutions Inc. sued one of its former vice presidents in Illinois state court Tuesday for allegedly violating a confidentiality agreement by trying to take trade secrets related to the company's two-way radio and broadband businesses with him to (Harris) a direct competitor.

Motorola Accuses Ex-VP Of Stealing Trade Secrets - Law360
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2013, 7:16 PM
Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

gotta better link, I don't feel like I should have to sign up for law360 to see the artical

HH
Old 09-19-2013, 8:53 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrharry View Post
gotta better link, I don't feel like I should have to sign up for law360 to see the artical

HH
Amazing What you can find with Google!

30 seconds of searching:

Motorola sues top exec recruited by rival

Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR

Last edited by KE4ZNR; 09-19-2013 at 8:53 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 09-19-2013, 9:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrharry View Post

HH
Motorola Solutions sues to stop former exec from working for rival - chicagotribune.com
Old 09-20-2013, 9:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

Wonder if I could sue some of my former employees who took my companies trade secrets to my competitor here in North Carolina. Or sue my competitors for saying we were going out of business. Seems to me whats fair is fair
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2013, 9:39 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

Hmmm, thought it was SOP to sign a legally binding piece of paper called a NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT that usually says if I work for you, I will keep my big mouth shut about everything we do at this corporate entity for up to X years after my employment ends or I will be sued for everything I own, used to own, will ever own, including my firstborn children so help me God?

Oh forgot clause B: If I die before said legal action is final, then my family up til the Nth generation will be liable???
Old 09-20-2013, 1:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: Motorola Accuses Ex-VP Of Stealing Trade Secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinwall7 View Post
Wonder if I could sue some of my former employees who took my companies trade secrets to my competitor here in North Carolina. Or sue my competitors for saying we were going out of business. Seems to me whats fair is fair
If you have a signed non-disclosure and/or non-competition document/clause, it should be an open and shut case.
Old 09-20-2013, 2:03 PM
Multistate DB Admin
Database Admin

The inital link headline is misleading... According to several other articles, they are suing him to prevent him to taking the Harris job and not accusing him (yet) of actually giving away trade secrets.

"The company says Darren McQueen resigned Aug. 23 to take a job with Melbourne, Fla.-based Harris Corp. as head of its public-safety business. Motorola Solutions, whose primary business is making police radios and other public-safety equipment, says Mr. McQueen is violating his noncompete agreement by taking the job.

Motorola fears Mr. McQueen could use its trade secrets, including product road maps or pricing strategies, to provide Harris “a virtual playbook of Motorola Solutions' competitive and market strategies,” says the lawsuit, filed Sept. 3 in Cook County Circuit Court.

Mr. McQueen, 53, had worked for Schaumburg-based Motorola since 2004. Most recently, he was a corporate vice president in charge of its most advanced public-safety products, which combine fourth-generation wireless phone technology. Motorola sees the market for such products, which it estimates to be worth up to $1 billion annually over the next five years, as crucial to its business. "

"Motorola says in the lawsuit that it assumed Mr. McQueen was going to work for a partner, such as Ericsson or Verizon, but was shocked when he informed management at 5:21 p.m. on a Friday that he was leaving for a competitor."
Old 09-20-2013, 3:23 PM
Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin

Thumbs up

Thanks Marshall and others who did that bit of leg work.

Apparently when I had done just that I had not got very many hits.

It may have taken a bit for it to propagate the web or at least to me anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
Amazing What you can find with Google!

30 seconds of searching:

Motorola sues top exec recruited by rival

Marshall KE4ZNR
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2013, 3:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default First Article Misleading

This was sensationalized to draw in the reader. These types of law suites happen all of the time. The burden is on Motorola to show that he has caused damage to their business (no) or is in breach of contract (possibly). Usually these are suites brought after the person has taken the job and worked 3-6 months or more. That way they can show a clear cause for losing a contract or missing a delivery. If Harris really wants this guy they should have had him lay low for 6 months to a year and then quietly hired him.
Old 09-20-2013, 7:47 PM

It all boils down to the agreement he signed with Motorola. Many noncompete agreements state that you can't go to work for a competitor within X number of years after you quit the company you signed the agreement with. Since Harris is a major competitor of Motorola and noncompete clause would certainly prevent him from going to work for them.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Question

Let me guess, Moto has never done this. I have seem several top execs come from Moto to Harris and then back to Moto at a convient time!! hummmm!!!