Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Whistler Group, Inc.
Phone: (479) 464-3504
Email: kcallison@whistlergroup.com

Whistler Announces Entry into Radio Scanner Market

Bentonville, AR – (September 23, 2013) – The Whistler Group, Inc., a leading industry supplier of Laser/Radar Detectors, is announcing entry into the radio scanner market. Whistler has purchased the intellectual property of scanner industry leader, GRE America, Inc., and plans to launch a complete line of scanners under the Whistler brand.

Whistler is proud to enter the scanning receiver business, picking up popular scanner models often characterized by hobbyists as easiest to program and use. Whistler scanners will include: handheld and desktop/mobile digital scanners with full keyboard, a handheld scanner with USA/Canada database built in, and two models of VHF/UHF non-trunking scanners. The assortment will include the first and only scanner that works on newer modulation protocols including P25-Phase II.

Models feature an Object Oriented User Interface, context sensitive help menus and three soft keys for easy programming, Digital AGC and superfast DSP for clearest possible audio on digital signals, user upgradable CPU and DSP firmware and an alert LED which can be programmed to light when any object goes active.

Whistler is committed to advancing state of the art technology in scanning receivers. “This is an exciting opportunity to produce quality product that keeps up with changing industry technology. We look forward to making positive contributions to this industry”, states Jesse Hopkins, President/CEO of Whistler.

Whistler brand scanners will be available for retail and distribution in the first quarter of 2014.

About Whistler

Whistler has been a leader in automotive laser/radar detection systems for over 40 years. Throughout the years Whistler has innovated and patented important product advances, resulting in first-to-market accomplishments and top performance rankings. Whistler also offers a complete line of Power Inverters and Diagnostic Inspection Cameras. For more information please visit Whistler Group | High Performance Radar Detectors and Electronics.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
This is great news for scanner buffs and I'm looking forward to the reveal of the new models. The specs, features, options, accessories, and price points are what most of us are waiting for (IMO).

Thank you Lindsay, for keeping us in the loop about this.

Russell

daneg

Ohhh nice!

GRE radios never appealed to me for some reason. The interface of Uniden is easy and nice. Wonder what they will look like?

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Lindsay this is such great news wonder if the scanner stores out here will carry the Whistler line of scanners.

bear780ks

Thanks for the Info..

Hey that is some Big great news Mr. B :) ) It will be interesting to see the Radios, I use to use there Radar Detectors and they had some good Quality built into them.

SCPD

QRT
Hey that is some Big great news Mr. B :) ) It will be interesting to see the Radios, I use to use there Radar Detectors and they had some good Quality built into them.

Bear I prefer a scanner to know where the cops are LOL IMO

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Very Exciting News

I am quite impressed with you keeping us informed about this newest development, particularly with detailed information. Not only are they taking over the line, they will be advancing the hobby. I am very excited about this, particularly the part about the Phase II. Again, thanks for all that you do to keep us informed and looking out for our shared hobby.

SCPD

QRT
Hey Lindsay will there be a forum for whistler scanners? And what will happen to the GRE forum

SquierStrat

Excellent news! Looks like we'll have several choices for a new scanner in the first quarter of next year! Is it safe to assume the handheld with the USA/Canada database is the one that does the Phase II? If so, i hope it has louder audio then the 800

SCPD

QRT
Excellent news! Looks like we'll have several choices for a new scanner in the first quarter of next year! Is it safe to assume the handheld with the USA/Canada database is the one that does the Phase II? If so, i hope it has louder audio then the 800

I hope so too!!

bear780ks

Found some info through the Examiner..

Well on a Google search that i done.. I wrote it out Like this ( whistler getting into Scanners)

I came across and Article from the Examiner but since the writer in the piece doesn't want one's to Copy and paste the Article it's best to search as I did and Read the Article there I'm not one to walk on Hot Water :roll: and burn my feet :lol: So if you find the Article enjoy the information that was shed by the Guy him self)

Update: In re-reading the Article it says it can be Linked so i guess I could of Linked it here into the Forum but for Now I'll leave it as it is If someone wan't to go a head and Link it on here It's Ok by me..:)

Ra..

Last edited:

DPD1

Sounds like another brand for users to lobby, for some of the unavailable protocols. Maybe they'll be interested.

Salvation

I would assume they would replicate some of the newer, more popular GRE scanners at first and then start building new models.. Look forward to it as I like my Pro-197 and would love to get a Phase II scanner to replace my old 785D.

bear780ks

Christmas just Three months Away!

Well Kids we have 3 months and some Change till Christmas, Make Momma happy do your chores outside and those Honey Doo's inside Cleaning the House:roll: :p and she just might surprise ya with a new Radio if they Whistler or Uniden happen's to re-lease one before Christmas, But if one doesn't come at Christmas time hey we have Valentine's Day if no Radio by then.. there's Easter to look forward too..

So hey Guys come on get those List ready! As we all might have something great to look forward too.. :p Ra

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
I hope they make these new scanners avaible for less than 400 dollars so people can buy them. anything over 500 for anything p-25 is crazy these scanners have been out for some time now. even if they do the p-25 phase 2 there now reason to make them over 500 dollars.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Great news...I just hope that these new radios will actually properly demodulate CQPSK. If they do, then Whistler will have NO PROBLEM moving them, heck, I bet if they went on sale at a retail store you'd see a line outside the night before like the iPhone 5S...yeah right.

But seriously, good that another player has stepped into this market and is putting (at least from their press release) some serious R&D. If they play their cards right, they will have no problem but they need to stay on top of technology to be successful. With other digital systems like NXDN and DMR (MotoTRBO) being rolled out across the country, they should not just stick to P25 alone.

as far as cost, I think it fair to say a great number of not just hobbyist but professionals from volunteer fire/EMS/LE to news gathering folks would have no problem shelling out a $600-800 radio IF it was:

1)-built better than some cheap plastic pocket radio
2)-supported the digital air interfaces of today and the future
3)-had good PERFORMANCE (read: PROPER CQPSK demodulation)

I know I would not have a problem spending that kind of money or more, if the product actually does what I need it to and does it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.