Monitoring Times Staff to Publish New Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
If you subscribe to Monitoring Times magazine, take a look at Communications by Ken Reitz on page 7 in the November issue. It appears all of the letters and forum comments regarding the demise of MT has done some good. Beginning in paragraph three is an announcement that the staff is NOT retiring and starting January 2014 there will be a new electronic magazine in PDF format titled The Spectrum Monitor. If you're interested in checking out the new publication, head on over to

The Spectrum Monitor - Store Offline

RRR

Premium Subscriber
There is so much on the internet now, that this seems kind of moot. There is a serious lack of printed material of interest now, especially with the demise of MT. There are a lot of us who still desire printed magazines.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
I love books and magazines but just don't have the room for more bookshelves, PDF really is the answer. I have a 15GB microSD card in my Android which allows me to carry in my pocket at least 3 years of Monitoring Times, 4 years of 10-10 newsletters, 12 novels, 43 technical and reference guides, plus 776 MP3s and still have 6GBs left. If I didn't have the MP3s on there Id have room for at least another hundred or so books.

There was a thread on the MilRadioComms reflector this afternoon about PopComm and how it's been going downhill by not featuring articles on scanning or milcom. Sadly that wasn't the first time I've seen negative posts about PopComm. Personally I'm tired of everything being on 'the cloud' and think we need more books and magazines in PDF format and am glad to see a new magazine about our hobby being published and solely in this format. If anything its stuff like this that keeps the fire in the hobby burning.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Well aware of the other post however if you notice the timestamps I posted this five hours before the other post. It just didn't show up until this evening because I posted it in News and Announcements and the message had to be approved.

cj5

This is great! =)

I love this publication, and regardless of the format I will still read it for its informational value.

Chris, KJ6BBS

Airboss

Silent Key
The Spectrum Monitor Magazine Website is Active

The website for the new electronic magazine replacing Monitoring Times is now active.

The Spectrum Monitor will begin publishing with the January issue due out on December 15. You can see the site now at The Spectrum Monitor.

We just received this press release from the TSM managing editor Ken Reitz:

The Spectrum Monitor is a monthly electronic magazine that delivers full-spectrum coverage of amateur radio, longwave and shortwave listening, public service scanning, AM/FM/TV broadcasting, satellites, WiFi radio, vintage radio and more. The Spectrum Monitor is a follow-on publication to Monitoring Times and is not associated with Grove Enterprises or Bob Grove. TSM’s columnists and feature writers come directly from the pages of Monitoring Times, bringing readers an in-depth look at every segment of the radio frequency spectrum.

Each month TSM readers will get reviews of the latest receivers, antennas, software and accessories needed to explore the spectrum, with tips for beginners and advanced hobbyists alike.

The Spectrum Monitor is available in PDF format that can be read worldwide on any desktop, laptop, iPad®, Kindle® Fire, or other device capable of opening a PDF file. The January 2014 issue will be available for download from http://www.thespectrummonitor.com/. The Spectrum Monitor[/url] on December 15, 2013. Charter subscribers can sign up now and save!

Special charter subscriber rate: $20 for twelve issues. After December 15, 2013, annual rate: $24 for twelve issues. Individual monthly issues will be available for $3 each. You can sign up on the magazine's secure website to become a charter subscriber. Mastercard™, VISA™ and Discover™ cards are accepted. Outside the U.S.? Contact editor@thespectrummonitor.com for subscription instructions.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There is so much on the internet now, that this seems kind of moot. There is a serious lack of printed material of interest now, especially with the demise of MT. There are a lot of us who still desire printed magazines.
There is nothing stopping you from printing out the PDF version so you can read it the old-fashioned way!

oracavon

There is nothing stopping you from printing out the PDF version so you can read it the old-fashioned way!

Except the prohibitively expensive cost of ink. I, too, prefer to kick back in my recliner chair and read physical magazines that I can hold in my hand, and I have printed out some smaller magazines that are online only, but the cost of ink is killing me. Things may change when they start making tablets big enough to display a page at full size and resolution (constantly zooming and scrolling to be able to read a magazine page completely destroys the experience of kicking back and reading).

Anyway, to avoid hijacking the thread, I'm looking forward to the new publication because MT was one of my favorites and definitely the best of its type. Although I would prefer a print version, I'll be glad that the Spectrum Monitor will be available in any format. I hope enough people subscribe to keep it in business. One of Bob Grove's comments regarding MT was that there were a lot of print subscribers, but very few electronic (PDF) subscribers, which kept the publishing costs high. I actually subscribed to both - the print version for my initial reading session, and the PDF version for long-term reference and searching capabilities. I won't be able to afford printing out every SM issue, but at least I'll have something to replace MT.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
So there's no possibility of a real "magazine" being printed with this, like Monitoring times, this is just being sent out on computer?

Bummer.

There are still many of us who desire the "real" printed magazines. I am not going to resort to printing a magazine from the internet and just be content with it. I'm surely not going to pay for a monthly magazine online, considering what all is available for free. Besides, I like to have my magazines come in the mail, and read them in my easy chair, at the Dr's office, etc.

Apparently a lot of others felt the same way, considering Mr. Grove's comments on the ratio of printed subscribers v/s electronic subscribers.

...Oh well, I can hope they will consider a printed version in the future!

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
My attitude is that it's "better than nothing"!

I would prefer a printed mag, too, but the articles in a well written, well edited magazine are going to be more informative than just getting "free" frequency listings online, even at a great place like the Radio Ref database.

I'm not just looking for a database, I want to read insights on the full "spectrum" and cutting edge technology. That's why I read every issue of MT cover to cover every month and I'll do the same with this publication.

I will have to alter my reading habits a bit, however; I've done most of my periodical reading on the "porcelain throne" over the years (ahem), now, with this mag, it'll be on the La-Z-Boy!

TMI? Sorry! ;)

bear780ks

I think this is kind of the trend for some Mags guys I know my Magazine PC world went in this Direction as long as they allow to Print it, Will it be even better as one could print say like the Frequencies in one article or print a the Review of a Radio of the Month.. :cool: Ra

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I think this is kind of the trend for some Mags guys I know my Magazine PC world went in this Direction as long as they allow to Print it, Will it be even better as one could print say like the Frequencies in one article or print a the Review of a Radio of the Month.. :cool: Ra

Right, there is always the option to print individual articles and lists, if need be. Like others here, I just can't afford to print out a whole issue each month.

If they eventually offer it in print, I will subscribe to that, too (or, instead?).

SquierStrat

I will have to alter my reading habits a bit, however; I've done most of my periodical reading on the "porcelain throne" over the years (ahem), now, with this mag, it'll be on the La-Z-Boy!

TMI? Sorry! ;)

It's going to come in .PDF format; dont you own a smartphone?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.