Lakewood, NJ: Kids on 2-Way Radios Interfere With Emergency Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

This has been happening for YEARS.

The wisdom of those who have served in public safety positions before us has been to point these kids toward ham radio and getting involved in the public safety organizations that serve their community.

An old-timer who was the most senior volunteer fireman in my former department told me that he played with radios, jukeboxes, and electronics back in the early 30s when he was a teenager. He BUILT and installed a transmitter from parts and put a RECORD PLAYER in the first car he owned as a teenager - that's right, a record player in his car - and "somehow" ended up tuning across various local radio frequencies as he drove around town trying to impress the girls. The police were just above the AM band back then. The police chief, fire chief, and mayor at the time didn't think he was a criminal or a t*rr0rist. Instead, they recognized the kid as being very talented (but a little "off" - they wrote that off as him maybe electrocuting himself with high voltage a few times...) and pointed him toward ham radio and signed him up as a volunteer fireman. He didn't take to ham radio, but he did very well in the fire department. He and another similarly precocious kid in a neighboring department channeled their enthusiasm into building the first "real" radio system for an entire fire mutual aid area. That kid went on to become one of the volunteer fire chiefs and, after he physically could not work on the fireground anymore, would come in and dispatch overnight or during big fires. He was able to make a good living being a local businessman who owned and repaired coin jukeboxes and vending machines. Never stopped being a little off, though, but that was okay.

Fast forward to the late 70s, when he met another kid with a radio and got him hooked up as a volunteer and working for a local radio shop once he turned 18.

Moral of the story - guidance makes much more of a positive impact than reaction.

talkpair

I see this problem only increasing.

First it was the FRS/GMRS bubble packed radios, then the Marine blister packed radios.
And now the cheap imported radios capable of going into the public safety bands.

Complaints from the GMRS community should have been a early warning sign.

In one evening, the value of my GMRS repeater was reduced to zero by alert tones, whistling and kids babbling. At one point their dog even got in on the action as they tried to coax the dog to come to the radio.

I shouldn't complain though.....my $2K is only a drop in the bucket compared to the investment that the amateur radio and public safety communities have at stake.

Nobody saw this coming ?

Baofengs strike again!

It probably didn't help that they displayed what to look for and the frequency to use.

Yikes! Look at the ERP on WQQK520! Their coordinates are a little off from the water tank.

I also should point out (as the news report alludes to public safety) that this is a business frequency, not a public safety frequency. As such, just about anything can pop up on it, even legally.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
All the more reason to upgrade to more modern technology like DMR.

MotoTRBO with advanced privacy and RSA will put and end to the brats and their Baofengs and it would cost them no more than decent analog radios.

Time to upgrade...

T0mSmith

All the more reason to upgrade to more modern technology like DMR.

MotoTRBO with advanced privacy and RSA will put and end to the brats and their Baofengs and it would cost them no more than decent analog radios.

Time to upgrade...

LOL! You must be in sales... Going to DMR or MotoTRBO or any digital modulation will not stop interference from analog radios. FM modulation can still overpower the receiver of a digital radio if the signal is stronger than the other transmitters on the system. Just because the operator can not hear the analog radio, doesn't mean that there is not interference on the frequency they are trying to use.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
So a "Civilian Safety Watch" is considered to be "Emergency communications"?

Sounds so official.....

rapidcharger

LOL! You must be in sales... Going to DMR or MotoTRBO or any digital modulation will not stop interference from analog radios. FM modulation can still overpower the receiver of a digital radio if the signal is stronger than the other transmitters on the system. Just because the operator can not hear the analog radio, doesn't mean that there is not interference on the frequency they are trying to use.

This is the kind of interference that goes away when they stop getting a reaction which is exactly what would happen when they tried to get on a digital system. They wouldn't get a reaction and the baofeng would get boring in a hurry.

So a "Civilian Safety Watch" is considered to be "Emergency communications"?

Sounds so official.....

Civilian Safety Watch? :confused: What are you talking about? Where do you see that?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Civilian Safety Watch? :confused: What are you talking about? Where do you see that?

In the article in the link, second or third paragraph...

"The most recent incident took place Tuesday morning. Lakewood Police say they responded to Ridge Avenue because children were talking on a radio channel used by the Lakewood Civilian Safety Watch."

rapidcharger

In the article in the link, second or third paragraph...

"The most recent incident took place Tuesday morning. Lakewood Police say they responded to Ridge Avenue because children were talking on a radio channel used by the Lakewood Civilian Safety Watch."

Right, that is the most recent incident that occurred with the Lakewood Civilian Safety Watch. That is a separate entity from Hatzolah which is an EMS service and definitely emergency communications.

T0mSmith

This is the kind of interference that goes away when they stop getting a reaction which is exactly what would happen when they tried to get on a digital system. They wouldn't get a reaction and the baofeng would get boring in a hurry.

You are correct. But the transmit frequency of the Baofengs didn't just end on the EMS frequency (and certainly not the tone) by accident. The person responsible for that ought to see the inside of a correctional facility or a fine.

Last edited:

WB4CS

And this is why I will not ever support Baofang and the other cheap china radio manufacturers.

In this instance, I don't blame the kids or the parents. The kids didn't know they were doing anything wrong, and the parents that bought the radios probably had no idea what these radios are capable of doing. Almost ALL ads online for Baofang radios make no mention of a license being needed, or that they are Amateur and Public Service radios. I've seen them advertised online in the sporting goods section!!!

You know who I blame? Everyone that buys these damn radios, including fellow hams. Every purchase of them tells Baofang and the FCC that we support the idea of these cheap, unlocked radios being sold in the US.

And before someone jumps on that bandwagon that almost any 2/70 amateur radio could do this with modification - you're right, they can. The difference is the Baofang's come this way out of the box. Turn them on and punch in a frequency and go, no mods needed.

Last edited:

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well nothing surprises me anymore. With the internet you can buy anything you want anymore and there is no stopping it. Its the wild wild west and you don't even need to pay taxes on your goods. We all have bought things that we should not being having but thats the fun of it. I wish I had those kinds of radios when I was a kid.

This would of been a great story if the kids had radios with the keys loaded in a ENC radio and were transmitting. I would died laughing

As to this incident happening again.... Sure it will...

SquierStrat

the transmit frequency of the Baofengs didn't just end up on the EMS frequency (and certainly not the tone) by accident. The person responsible for that ought to see the inside of a correctional facility or a fine.

exactly what i was thinking! thats why i was so surprised to see the radios were just given back to the parents.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
They gave em back to the parents so they can transmit on the EMS band. That's how smart city and county officials are sometimes. Those radios should have been smashed with a sledge hammer or donated to a small island in the pacific ocean where the signals are not going to go anywhere anyways and not cause problems.

lep

Some years ago there used to be an FCC engineer who would come to ham gatherings and give folks he found using "illegal" radios the option of (a) receiving a citation or (b) letting him smash them with a hammer he carried in the trunk of the car. Unfortunately, he died a few years ago but not until he had personally destroyed quite a few modified radios.

jhooten

Some years ago there used to be an FCC engineer who would come to ham gatherings and give folks he found using "illegal" radios the option of (a) receiving a citation or (b) letting him smash them with a hammer he carried in the trunk of the car. Unfortunately, he died a few years ago but not until he had personally destroyed quite a few modified radios.

What is an illegal ham radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.