New social media company rolling out platform for scanner enthusiasts to break news

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Received from the NowMachine team:

======
Ever slept next to a police scanner? Listen up, you know who you are! A new social media company, NowMachine, is launching a FREE platform for scanner enthusiasts to collaborate together on breaking news. Through NowMachine you can interact with a tribe of people like you-- people passionate about always knowing what’s going on.

In the NowMachine community you can:
Post breaking news reports
Collaborate on reports posted by others
Follow other members
Build your own following
Analyze the traffic your posts generate
Give a virtual “high five” to other users who post great content.

Working together on NowMachine you can race to be the first to uncover credible, reliable and newsworthy information. Want to be among the first to sign up for this FREE service? Go to: http://signup.nowmachine.com.

Members of the media are welcome to email us with additional questions at signup@nowmachine.com

NowMachine: Let’s break news, together!

=====

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I personally know the owners and operators of this new startup - it is a true site and I can vouch for it being legit.

Disclaimer: I don't have any financial interest or formal business ties with this organization - I just happen to know the owner/operators and have done some business exploration in the past with the owners.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Went to the site, entered my email address, they then asked for other peoples email addresses, I said no. I received an email with a four page long survey, filled out the survey, entered my email address again, now I wait for a response.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
They want to incorporate LinkedIn with the site to help prevent fake profiles and alerts. This will require everyone signing up to have a LinkedIn profile, something I do not support.

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
New social media company rolling out platform for scanner enthusiasts to bre...

They want to incorporate LinkedIn with the site to help prevent fake profiles and alerts. This will require everyone signing up to have a LinkedIn profile, something I do not support.

Got a beef with LinkedIn or just having to sign up to access the other?

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Just beef with LinkedIn. Their servers have been hacked a couple times and they're being sued for hacking users e-mail accounts. They also spam users friends/acquaintances, I get invitations from people I barely know who I know wouldn't send me an invite.

N8OHU

Just beef with LinkedIn. Their servers have been hacked a couple times and they're being sued for hacking users e-mail accounts. They also spam users friends/acquaintances, I get invitations from people I barely know who I know wouldn't send me an invite.

It's no different than other sites that people let have access to their email address book; most people don't think to look at how many invites they are sending or which email addresses are being sent to, as I've seen the blasted invites on several of the mailing lists I'm on.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Whether it's different or not isn't the issue, I won't do anything involving LinkedIn for the reasons that were mentioned.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
If anyone from NowMachine is monitoring this post. Most sites allow authentication/sign-in via a choice of social media platforms. If you're going to go the LinkedIn route, add other sites including Facebook, Twitter, G+, Foursquare and Pinterest. I would gladly login via Twitter.

mibzzer15

If anyone from NowMachine is monitoring this post. Most sites allow authentication/sign-in via a choice of social media platforms. If you're going to go the LinkedIn route, add other sites including Facebook, Twitter, G+, Foursquare and Pinterest. I would gladly login via Twitter.

Agreed! I have a linkedin but NEVER use it, i would much rather use G+ or twitter. Rarely do I ever log into stuff with my facebook account.

Darth_vader

"Through Now Machine you can interact with a tribe of people like you -- people passionate about always knowing what’s going on.

*snip*

"Post breaking news reports, collaborate on reports posted by others follow other members, build your own following, analyse the traffic your posts generate and give a virtual 'high five' to other users who post great content. Working together on Now Machine, you can race to be the first to uncover credible, reliable and newsworthy information."

Meh, sounds like they're trying to reinvent the proverbial wheel.

I actually know of a pretty decent "social network" for scanner users, HAM ops, monitors and such that already can do almost all that stuff. Its URL is http://radioreference.com/, in case anybody wants to check it out. I understand it's been around for quite a few years and is pretty well-established and respected in its field. ;o)

Last edited:

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Maybe it's just me?

Hmmm, tried two web browsers, Firefox and IE Explorer 10, clicked on the link and get nothing but a blank page:confused:

Max:cool:

Attachments

• blank_browser.jpg
    blank_browser.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,817

Darth_vader

I just get a 404 error recording before a faded-out picture of a white long-hair cat.

All I can say about that is: what the ...?

blueonesparky

Premium Subscriber
I would be more intrigued by what is in it for the new owners. It sounds a lot like a way to generate news notifications via crowd sourcing. Something that could be rather lucrative if the media were to want access to that info and for that reason I am considering it dubious at best at the moment. I know I put a fair bit of time and effort into scanning as a hobby and I know I've felt betrayed when I have provided info to a site or system for free only to find them making pretty good money off of it later down the line... or in at least one case... later charging me a fee to access the database with outside software as a premium member.

I think I'll stay on the sidelines until I at least see how they plan on monetizing it and stick to RR for my forums and IRC for my real time breaking event discussions. (Yes I know IRC is pretty old, but it's also pretty hard to break that part of the interwebs.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.