FAA will now allow gadgets on planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay34654

Gadgets

I have been using my uniden 396 on air craft for yrs and never been bothered all you have to do is not wave it around that is how people get caught, hey look what I got.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Hey they were almost going to allow small pocket knifes that were not spring loaded on airplanes. Why not this right?

JoeyC

Interesting that Delta Airlines, in their new personal electronic devices policy, now allows GPS and AM/FM radios to be used on board, but NOT scanners or two way radios.

Personal Electronic Devices (PEDs) | Delta Air Lines

- Chris

Interestingly enough, they are only prohibiting VHF scanner receivers. I guess this means you can use your UHF and higher frequency scanners freely. :roll:

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I would check with the appropriate airline before using any device. These are only FAA "guidelines". Each airline can allow, or prohibit, whatever they want.

True. The "below 10,000 feet" rule is still alive and well on Southwest (applies to laptops, ipad, etc). Cell phones are still a no-no over there.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
It will be intresting to see where, and how far, this goes (allowing people to use electronic stuff on an airliner). I do hope they DON`T ever allow use of cellphones though, reason is not the RFI thingy, let`s put it this way, ya wanna hafta listen to someine (or someones) yakking away on their cellphones for the entire flight (possaibly)? I can see a potential problem if they allow use of a cell in-flight...that air-rage thingy ya know :). Just my two cents. N9NRA

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I was flying (delta) back home late after noon 11/7. They allowed phones, ipads, and other gadgets be on. But Cell phones can not be on network service it has to be on plane mode. I had my camera with me but had it in the bag thought of taking pictures out of the window while taking off but didn't had a window seat. I also had my psr800 with me I had that in the bag. I forgot to bring my headphones see what I can pick up there like the 800/700 or vhf/uhf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.