Asheville, NC - Buncombe’s emergency radio system gets update

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencer2223

hello i need help with this system EADS North America company, does that it means end to radio and to computers are is this new radio out buy harris plz let me know asap thank u

rapidcharger

Does anyone know how much this system is expected to cost?

Buncombe is a large county with terrain that not even the cell phone providers (including verizon) have managed to cover adequately. Someone yesterday told me they read that it was only $10mil but there's no way that can be.

spencer2223

is this a radio system and if it is how does it work cuz there only moble it sides no portabl4s or is it a computer system and does this mean radios will fade away if any bodu ca expline this new system to me thank u happy scaning

ts548

hello i need help with this system EADS North America company, does that it means end to radio and to computers are is this new radio out buy harris plz let me know asap thank u

Is this even English?

Does anyone know how much this system is expected to cost?

Buncombe is a large county with terrain that not even the cell phone providers (including verizon) have managed to cover adequately. Someone yesterday told me they read that it was only $10mil but there's no way that can be.

Total cost was 10.1 million with Cassidian giving them the core infrastructure so total out of pocket for Buncombe was around 6 million. 12 site system with 95% coverage.

is this a radio system and if it is how does it work cuz there only moble it sides no portabl4s or is it a computer system and does this mean radios will fade away if any bodu ca expline this new system to me thank u happy scaning

Again, I have no clue as to what your saying. Can someone translate?

rapidcharger

Total cost was 10.1 million with Cassidian giving them the core infrastructure so total out of pocket for Buncombe was around 6 million. 12 site system with 95% coverage.

This has got to be the first and only time, I've ever been dumbstruck as to how comparatively low that price tag is, well below the average, and we're talking about a county where you cannot even drive from one end of the county to the other and maintain a verizon cell phone conversation without it dropping multiple times.

95% percent coverage, I would have to see to believe though. I don't think that's realistic there even with 12 sites.

ts548

This has got to be the first and only time, I've ever been dumbstruck as to how comparatively low that price tag is, well below the average, and we're talking about a county where you cannot even drive from one end of the county to the other and maintain a verizon cell phone conversation without it dropping multiple times.

95% percent coverage, I would have to see to believe though. I don't think that's realistic there even with 12 sites.

"The system cost $10.2 million, but the county spent about $6 million on it. The company providing the equipment, California-based Cassidian Communications, provided “backbone equipment,” including equipment at the county communications center on Erwin Hills Road, worth about $4 million, VeHaun said."

That's why it was cheaper then most. It's my understanding that Cassidian wanted to test 700mhz in the mountains and somehow Buncombe won out and got the system for "free" I believe Cassidian also did the same with a P25 system in TX

spencer2223

is this actully a radio system are is this a more of cad computer system and can someone expline this system to me thank u

n4yek

is this actully a radio system are is this a more of cad computer system and can someone expline this system to me thank u

I know you have trouble with english, but your question should read this way:

From spencer2223:
Is this actually a radio system or is this more of a CAD computer system. Can someone explain this system to me, thank you.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Buncombe County Public Safety System Trunking System, Asheville, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

EADS was also in on the original TVR system in TN, that became the primary backbone for the TACN. They proved 700 works in mountains there. This is them proving to NC that it will work in basically the same mountainous terrain. This will help for them to sell to Japan, and maybe even South Korea also. (Hence someone hearing the Japanese on the system during the "showing off" part of the acceptance.)

Last edited by a moderator:

spencer2223

oh k but they just got moble computer do they got in portable radios i saw on site its moble radio so thats why i was wondering thank u for reapplying and can scanner pick it up

spencer2223

and yea some one listen to scanner hered japanse on the radio so thats maken sense and can they tie into buncomb p25 system or what porables can they use digital radios are coming out or new radio systems

INDY72

It is an ENTIRE RADIO SYSTEM. Consoles, Mobiles, HT's, computer data terminals, Repeaters...... The whole shebang! Yes an scanner that can do P25, trunk 700 MHz, will work on this system. It IS the Buncombe County P25 System. This entire thread is about ONLY the Buncombe County new P25 system. It just "officially" got it acceptance by the people in charge. Part of the acceptance process is a big public demonstration of the systems abilities. At the "demo" they allowed two users of Asian origins were allowed to talk to one another in differing parts of the county, thus demonstrating how well the system functions. Thus not only showing it off for the citizens of Buncombe County, NC, ad the State level folks, but also making a sales pitch to anyone interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

spencer2223

cool thank u i guess for portables thell use p25 and it cross over to that stuff so they can have portables

spencer2223

what portables are they use and thank u for telling me about it im new too this site so im learing about p25 digtal systems so sorry if i was hassel but fu can tell what portbles ashevill will use when they switch but im thikning buying scanner to listen to them so im glade i can happt scanning

ts548

cool thank u i guess for portables thell use p25 and it cross over to that stuff so they can have portables

what portables are they use and thank u for telling me about it im new too this site so im learing about p25 digtal systems so sorry if i was hassel but fu can tell what portbles ashevill will use when they switch but im thikning buying scanner to listen to them so im glade i can happt scanning

They are using a mixture which you can on a P25 system. SO is carrying Motorola's, EMS is carrying Harris. FD's can buy whatever they want.

INDY72

At this point there is no word on Asheville jumping on the 700 system. In the past, there has always been a huge political divide between Buncombe County, and city of Asheville. If BC wants to do it, A'ville says uh uhh nope. etc.... Not sure what will happen with this. Originally A'ville was going to upgrade their TRS to mixed mode ASTRO and link it to the VIPER. That apparently never went completely through. They may be waiting on the VIPER P25 upgrade before moving forward.

spencer2223

cool will i tell u i was on ems and viper radios are like cell phones half time they dont work lot of dept and as well as fire dont like it it cuz u cant talk on it half of time so not all digital stuff works i learned that out but thanks happy scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.