Anchorage AK -APD Completes Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

daverf3

Premium Subscriber
As of today 11/12/2013 Anchorage PD has encrypted it's North and South dispatch channels which had been in the clear on the Alaska P25 LMR system. Anchorage Fire now has encryption equipped radios to interoperate with APD, but are as of yet in the clear. These two dispatch channels now join the vast amount of encrypted traffic, including Alaska State Troupers, on the state P25 system. Medical service traffic remains in the clear on the P25 system, as is animal control. Other traffic such Anchorage city transportation "People Mover" busses, and city services are using the conventional city wide Motorola type 2 trunking system. The North and South dispatch channels remain available to monitor by the public via a 5 minute delay on the APD web site.

Dave

klarcr

RS Digital Scanners

So does my Pro 106 and Pro 197 still have the capability to receive them? Since I can't hear the Troopers, I'm going with "NO"?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The City of Anchorage is planning on hosting a feed on Broadcastify with the 5 minute delay (we've approved that for this official agency). If it isn't already up expect it soon.

szron

Premium Subscriber
Hey Lindsay a question.

Did you guys approach them or did they approach you with the feed?

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
They came to us - and I'm excited to see more agencies following this path.

Here is the official letter received from the department

Attachments

• Anchorage.pdf
    156.7 KB · Views: 449

szron

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting.

Big props to City of Anchorage for being so open. When I'll come to Alaska one day I'll spend my money there :D

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
While it totally sucks they've gone full-time encryption, I applaud them for allowing for a public feed. And that they came to you and not the other way around. :) Hopefully more agencies will follow.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I never have figured out why Alaska has Encryption anyways. Everybody that lives up there belongs to GOD country. If anybody has ever been to Alaska they would know that there is absolutely nothing up there except land and cold weather and radios that are Encrypted now.

Hey at least Alaska is on-board with a 5 minute delay and not locking out everybody completely. Whoever made that decision to stream their audio dispatch over the internet did a lot of research and reading.

They made the right choice for this day and age. Maybe it will send a message to the rest of the country saying "HEY" here we are and this is what we are doing. Anybody else want to follow and be transparent then jump on the train.

I see it this way.... After a 5 minute delay this does not compromise the safety of officers which I believe was always an excuse but o well. Plus anything that is said over the radio is old news after 5 minutes anyways and can be heard. So nothing is being hidden from the tax payers and the community. If the community wants to hear what is going on they can feel comfortable and there is "TRANSPARENCY" with local and state public safety.

Its a step in the right direction. Something that we have not seen in over 10 years since some departments started to use partial and full ENCRYPTION...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.