Springfield MA- Federal investigators probe on-air threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDM

Premium Subscriber
Any thouhgts on this?

So what do the pro's out there think on how the Springfield Police Pirate is broadcasting?
1. Programmed his own radio for the freq?
2. Has police radio they are unaware of?
3. Has SDR and is experimenting?
4. Something else?

Laters

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
So what do the pro's out there think on how the Springfield Police Pirate is broadcasting?
1. Programmed his own radio for the freq?
2. Has police radio they are unaware of?
3. Has SDR and is experimenting?
4. Something else?

Laters

"Express" version of my guesses here :).
1. mabey/likely
2. somewhat mabey
3. kinda mabey
4. good guess.

What do i mean here? Layman version, as to no 1, that would be a likely, given that there`s all these radios comming out that are already, as we used to say when i got started in scanning/ham radio, "opened up" for out of band TX/RX. As to no. 2, would cost to get an SDR (even a cheap one), as to 3, change that to a more mabey, as if ya know where to look ya can find a used radio that`ll do conventional PS channels with just a few mods that can be found on the web, and lastly as to 4, that is a good guess, without knowing what type of system they`re using it would be nothing more than a educated guess. N9NRA P.S. The radios i refer to are the chinese ones we keep hearing about, but that`s not part of the topic here, and was left out for that reason :).

fdscan

MotoTRBO, NXDN or even P25 phase 1 with radio authentication and encryption would easily put the brakes on these Baoturd bandits.

It's really unbelievable to think about how easy it actually is if you have the least bit of knowledge on the topic...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's really unbelievable to think about how easy it actually is if you have the least bit of knowledge on the topic...

Right, and the availability of that information is easy for the untrained to obtain, and the vast amount of equipment being sold to unqualified and unauthorized users is feeding the need for more advanced, secured systems that prevent intrusions like this.

It's why vendors from have stepped up the game, and standards like P25, NXDN and DMR support subscriber authentication/validation, and encryption.

and everytime one of these Baoturd Bandits show up, you can bet this will be another "encouragement" for that agency to replace said venerable infrastructure with something more secure from intruders.

In the UK, they solved the problem of unauthorized radios on public safety radio by migrating to encrypted TETRA.

Downside is there is nothing left to scan.

Last edited:

prcguy

This has been going on forever (30+yrs in So Cal) and from some caught around here its not Baofeng radios but modified Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood or Alinco amateur radios. So, instead of propagating your known hate for the cute and useful little Baofeng radios why not call the pirates YaeKenIcomicoturds?
prcguy

Right, and the availability of that information is easy for the untrained to obtain, and the vast amount of equipment being sold to unqualified and unauthorized users is feeding the need for more advanced, secured systems that prevent intrusions like this.

It's why vendors from have stepped up the game, and standards like P25, NXDN and DMR support subscriber authentication/validation, and encryption.

and everytime one of these Baoturd Bandits show up, you can bet this will be another "encouragement" for that agency to replace said venerable infrastructure with something more secure from intruders.

In the UK, they solved the problem of unauthorized radios on public safety radio by migrating to encrypted TETRA.

Downside is there is nothing left to scan.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
because any idiot with a $22 baofeng can program analog UHF repeaters and get on their system

kb1ejw

Local Idiot
Feed Provider
MotoTRBO, NXDN or even P25 phase 1 with radio authentication and encryption would easily put the brakes on these Baoturd bandits.

Easy to promote all the technology (which you are very good at, as I've seen many of your past responses to other posts) when it's not your money the city has to spend to upgrade

Last edited:

What dose bashing the MFR of a radio do?...Would it be better if the do-er got a surplus moto
or EF radio..

Ive got a BAO...Im no turd sir.

And to follow,,Is it reasonable to have a city make the transition to a system that may be more
detrimental,,to both the city budget and the safety of the LEO's...cause we all know interops work
Soooo great when under pressure...

Case by case basis,find the culprit, prosecute vigorously, and wait another 4-5 or 6 years for another
fool to get the fun idea to key up on public safety bands...then do all over again!...Yay!

Gotta love overreaction to a situation..Ahhh...a SPIDER....We Gotta BURN the House Down to get rid of it!!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Easy to promote all the technology (which you are very good at, as I've seen many of your past responses to other posts) when it's not your money the city has to spend to upgrade

I want the best for our fellow public safety employees. you see, some of us rely on this stuff for our work, it's not just fun and games, like these Baofeng bandits make it out to be when they are busy making catcalls and CB sound effects.

When your life is on the line, or you're trying to copy a PCR (patient care report) do your really want to have to listen to some 12 year old brat on some Chinese junk radio dropping F-bombs? That slows you down, that may cost someone their life.

Or if you are fighting a fire and some turd like this pops up on your fireground- need I say more?

Or you're on a traffic stop with a bunch of wanted felons packing more heat than you, do your really have time to hear some moron on your dispatch channel/talkgroup?

You're right, it's easy to want all this new technology when someone else pays for it. But the reality is, radios and infrastructure do not last forever. And many of those technologies I mentioned are no longer cost prohibitive to implement and these new digital systems can eliminate the dangerous and otherwise irritating problems of unauthorized radios access a life safety radio system.

It's one thing when people play on MURS and terrorize Wal-Mart staff making fart sounds. I personally get a chuckle (though this too, is illegal).

But playing around on public safety systems- they should be doing 20-25 years in club Fed and have their Baofengs or modified Yaesus smashed and destroyed in front of them on site.

In the meantime, implementing newer systems that offer superior coverage and voice quality (have you used DMR or NXDN compared to narrowband analog? Night and day my friend), more security (thanks to radio subscriber authentication and encryption), and despite what you may think, those radios are no more expensive than their analog counterparts. Same for the repeaters/infrastructure.

Yes, I realize that this takes the "scanning is fun" aspect away, but then, is it not more important to have the right tools to do your job?

Oh and, there are grants available, no need to raise taxes to pay for many upgrades if the process is planned and implemented correctly.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This has been going on forever (30+yrs in So Cal) and from some caught around here its not Baofeng radios but modified Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood or Alinco amateur radios. So, instead of propagating your known hate for the cute and useful little Baofeng radios why not call the pirates YaeKenIcomicoturds?
prcguy

what FFPM71 said. The Baoturds are sold completely "wide open" and somehow these radios even have FCC part 90 certification (how is this possible? No dongle? No software key?).

and unlike modifying a Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood hammy toy which takes a modicum of technical skill, buying a Chicomm radio off amazon for $22 and visiting a certain site, one can do everything without plugging in a soldering iron and knowing a diode from a 0 ohm resistor.

prcguy

If you buy radios from China on Ebay they might be wide open but from a reputable dealer like Import Communications the radios are ham band only on transmit unless opened with software.
prcguy

what FFPM71 said. The Baoturds are sold completely "wide open" and somehow these radios even have FCC part 90 certification (how is this possible? No dongle? No software key?).

and unlike modifying a Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood hammy toy which takes a modicum of technical skill, buying a Chicomm radio off amazon for $22 and visiting a certain site, one can do everything without plugging in a soldering iron and knowing a diode from a 0 ohm resistor.

Oh and, there are grants available, no need to raise taxes to pay for many upgrades if the process is planned and implemented correctly.

Great,So the locals are saved from the payout..
So we roll it onto the national?...Same friggin problem.

Not counting the roll out of a new system,the training..
Oh and then the bugs..then vendors declaring End Of Life
Status on their systems and wont service them anymore..

Again,,Sledgehammers are not used to drive finishing nails.
The problem Is Not the radio system..Its a Lone Criminal.

Guess we ought to put governors in all vehicles due to speeders.

Right..We can get the DOT to fund it,,the people wont pay a
Penny,,,Except on the toll roads,,taxes at the gas pumps..

Your argument is just not valid.

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Actually..its is a valid argument. public safety communications and infrastructure is important to the public and as you can see by all the threads about P25, encryption and so on it is being done, like it or not because of this and other reasons. You cant expect public safety to use antiquated gear and old technology just so you can listen.. its a privilege not a right.

prcguy

If anyone is looking for a solutuin to people jamming public service comms I don't think restricting the purchase of radios that can be opened up is the way to go. I would rather see the the ability to locate the transmitter be readily available to law enforcement.

A commo friend at a local PD quickly located a jammer several miles away using a van equipped with an OAR direction finder. He said it took about as long to drive there as if he already had a map to the house. He then notified uniformed officers who responded and witnessed the jammer in action.

I heard the jammer was roughed up quite a bit and arrested but the FCC refused to take part in any prosecution. The guy was using an a midified amateur radio, an Alinco mobile from what I remember.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.