Winamp Shutting Down On December 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I am sad to see it go, really, AOL, you couldn't just leave the files up to download? Oh well, get it while you can. I am sure they will available from other sites like cNet's download.com, but the coolest part of Winamp are all the skins and DSP plug-ins.

It's just a sign of the "dumbing down" of the Internet and computers in general. Just like the scanners which are being tailored to consumers and not hobbyists, Winamp is a great program that doesn't require a multi-core CPU and 5GB of RAM to run, nor does it need 20GB of hard disk space. I still have it on my old P3 programming laptop with few hundred MP3, hooked up to a C Crane FM Transmitter II, and I have a nice "radio station" to fill my house with the music I want to hear, devoid of all the motor mouth DJs and scammy commercials for mortgage refinancing and penis pumps.

Sure, there is Windows Media Player, Itunes and dozens of apps/programs more "refined" for the end user. But Winamp was and is "the boss" as far as I am concerned. With DSP plug-ins like Sound Solution, my little micro power part 15 FM sounds as good as the big boys, organizing playlists is easy, crossfading is supported, a great EQ...

oh well, last call for Winamp- download it (and all the DSP/skins you want) before it's pulled from the shelves, like standalone MP3 players, cassette decks and DVD players, soon to be a thing of the past.

it's all "cloud" pay to play now. This is what the industry has wanted for decades, complete control of content and delivery, at a pay per use model.

sfd119

It sucks. I've been a member over there since 2005 with 9k of posts. Mostly SHOUTcast tech support, but more fun in other forums. It is a sad day and we're all scrambling to move the forums somewhere.

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

What a shame, it really DOES whoop the llama's *** :(

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately that is how it goes. Really good programs just get taken away. But I guess its the sign of the computer world, time for something new and better.

sfd119

Foobar does. I switched to Foobar years ago and it's very simple and customizable.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WinAmp

I am running a very early version of WinAmp, without ANY bells or whistles. Not having new downloads is OK by by but 'tis sad that it will no longer be supported (by web sites).

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

I hope there are archives of the install files. It has been a great program, for a long time.

gtriever

Premium Subscriber
MediaMonkey is also a good replacement, but I'm sorry to see such a good program as Winamp go.

bear780ks

Hate to see it Go...

Glad i stumble on this I'm Listening to it Right Now have off N on for a course of 5 years and to me it was now one of the best.. I guess for me my alternative is Slacker..

Or one of the one's listed in the thread.

Last edited:

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

Guys, make sure you understand that the software itself is not going away. If you have it and keep it, you can keep using it. They are just stopping future development and web features. It bot going to disappear from your computer! I get the sense that some people think that is the case.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

Guys, make sure you understand that the software itself is not going away. If you have it and keep it, you can keep using it. They are just stopping future development and web features. It bot going to disappear from your computer! I get the sense that some people think that is the case.

That is true, many of us still run MS-DOS 6.22 on our 486 programming laptops for relic radios-

but you don't expect to see Microsoft coming out with any patches, device drivers or support for the O/S either. Yet IBM PC-DOS 7 (circa 2000) was (and may still be) available for free public download off the IBM/Lenovo PC Support site, along with all the documentation and many utilities like the DOS shell, even though DOS was "dead" by Y2K for the most part.

The biggest downside is that no new versions will be developed, and what will happen to the library of hundreds of skins and cool DSP plug-ins? Sure, they are all over the net, scattered about, but I guess it would cost AOL queen bee Arianna too much to keep the last version and the DSP/plug in library online for downloads.

AOL sucks. They are the ones who need to die. Seriously.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Just saw an article on TechCrunch that Microsoft is in talks to buy WinAmp and Shoutcast.
Link: Source from TechCrunch
Source: Microsoft In Talks To Buy Shoutcast And Winamp From AOL | TechCrunch

Oh goody, goody! MicroSoft buying the rights to WinAmp is a fate worse than death.

The best thing about WinAmp is it simplicity. It just works. I use it constantly to monitor my own scanner feeds and play whatever files I want without the b.s. that the majority of players go through scanning my whole computer for files and creating their own proprietary library.

The developers of VLC have no time for you unless you are using it to distribute video throughout your home, plus VLC crashes half the time I use it so I'm not impressed.

I use Icecast as the server for my scanner feeds, so there is an alternative if Shoutcast dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.