RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News Announcements and News of interest to the RadioReference.com Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. Members are encouraged to post news and information here for the community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Default Crossville, TN - Deputies dissatisfied with radio system coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechRadio View Post
Nope!

Agreed. The problem occurs when the vendor says for 95/95 on belt portable, in building coverage will cost xxxx dollars(gold standard) 95/95 on belt street coverage will cost xxx dollars(Silver) and 95/95 mobile on street coverage will cost xx dollars(Bronxe), 95/95 major highway mobile coverage will cost x dollars(Participation ribbon)

First responders want, and expect 95/95 on belt, In building coverage(Gold) but the bean counters think it costs too much, so rather than buying a system for xxxx dollars they buy the 95/95 major highway coverage for x dollars(Participation ribbon) Then when the first responders go to PTT in a building with their portable on their belt they get a out of coverage bonk...

What happens next is that everyone starts pointing fingers at why the system does not work to the gold standard, when the participation ribbon system was what was bought.

That is where I would guess majority of the system 'problem' occur not because it is digital. The systems, for the most part work as designed, they were just not funded to the standard first responders deserve. But the bean counters 'saved' money.

When an police officer is in a building on a domestic, and the perp starts being stupid with the officer, he/she absolutely needs to have that E-trig/call for help heard. The first time EVERY TIME.

In this situation I would guess that they bought the bronze or participation ribbon system, but the first responders are expecting gold standard performance...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2014, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
Yep.

It also doesn't help when a municipality that is broke and doesn't have the money to do a proper build out or hire competent, experienced technicians to oversee the administration and maintenance of a complex system.
There are countless many digital systems working fine out there. Just like the news, no news is good news. When there is an issue, OH BOY do we here about it.

I would say it is the second part of your answer, is the more likley the answer.

Alot of systems had problems before they went digital, and thinking digital will fix those problems is (and that is some dealer's sales pitch) is wrong. The issues will still have to be fixed.

Kind of like a radio shop that supposedly fixed on frequency interference by changing the PL setting for a customer to always on hook. After still having the problem they hired a different company, and the other company found the interference was coming from the customers own RV. The inverter on the RV that he keep plugged in all the time to keep the batteries charged. Bought a new inverter. Problem solved.

Problems need to be identified and fixed first. A poor designed system and then upgrading the poor designed system to the latest and greatest still = a Poor system.

Last edited by hitechRadio; 02-19-2014 at 1:31 PM..
Old 07-09-2014, 9:30 AM

County to send out RFP for radio system upgrades Area News Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN
Old 07-10-2014, 7:04 PM

So, if i'm reading this correctly, some of the recomendations are, scrap P25 and return to analog narrow, or use a different digital system. What does any of those have to do with poor RF coverage? No matter what type of modualation you use you need good RF saturation in the given area you want to cover... No 2 ways around that it is what it is. I'd love to have the money that is wasted in PS systems around the country. Build a new system, then build a new one again, then add to it, then upgrade it because it still stinks, then its obselete.

Last edited by 12dbsinad; 07-10-2014 at 7:09 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 11:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Really, you think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioinst View Post
The Motorola starcom system is working in Illinois, maybe they could look into that.
You are sadly miss informed. Does it work, yes it works. Is it as good as it could be, nowhere wear its needs to be. Still lots of drop out, poor in building coverage, encryption failures. Etc The new issue that's coming into to play is system overload and allocation of frequencies. You never put all your eggs in one basket and u don't get solid on a fail poof system. Stop drinking the salesmen koolaid, I'm not choosing a vendor as it really depends on system design and its limitations. 500sq miles seems like an easy task, but not until you consider prorogation of signals, high ground, blocked signals or loss in db in buildings. I know of a particular agency here in il on starcom21 that had a **** ton of issues with in building db loss. The moral of the story is build based on your agencies needs, rx sites, in building amps, etc.
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2014, 2:02 AM

Default Stay Put

If I was planning this one out, I would stay on VHF. One repeater, highest spot in the county. some voting recievers. Would work fine.

I've said it before. It's a mistake to go up into UHF and 800 in the mountains.
It just don't play right in the deep hills and valleys.
Many of the KY and TN towns and counties are staying put on VHF for good reason.
Old 07-11-2014, 9:51 AM

They want to take the system they have now from multicast to simulcast. They have too much money invested into the system to scrap it.
Old 07-11-2014, 9:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123easy View Post
They want to take the system they have now from multicast to simulcast. They have too much money invested into the system to scrap it.
They saddled a one-trick pony to ride and now think it would be better with black and white stripes. Nothing new to see here, move along...SSDD