NY: Ulster County fire dispatching system needs upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Bluewings ideas were on the Ulster county site i dont know if they still are. Back then there were a lot of mixes for the county splitting in 800 uhf or vhf 800 etc....County highway has moved to a private motobo system vacating a working VHF highband system.....so that leaves a few freqs for them to move to.

Spec

A perfect example of procrastination in up grading has created a mess ie: lack of frequencies along with vendors looking for long term income. A lot of folks think 700/800 is the cure all. This is what happens when people loose foresight. Dutchess ,light years ahead, grabbed and built a great system. Now in Ulster you have departments such as Highland FD running 3 systems to coordinate with other departments, New Paltz 2 systems and on and on. What is even worse many of these agencies don't have the money to change their existing equipment. Accord is prime example. My gripe is we are getting to see how a vendor is pushing a system that will continually cost the user to operate.. Look what happened with GE/MaCom/Harris and the EDACS. Need the system...you pay for each unit. The a few years later it's time to change to another system. Goodness I can go on and on about this ineptness we are experiencing. Look at the pdf links Mtnrider posted and you can see the push this vendor is pushing. Do a google search as there are more parts to this proposal. If you do you'll see the mixed up confusion. The vendor/proposer never impressed me. Okay I have my fire suit on and a hose near by to cool me down :)

Tech1

I agree with this topic and the Ulster County Fire Dispatching does need a upgrade. I have been been a scanner hobbyist for many years and the radio system is getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.