Long Branch, NJ: Man Dies After Tower Jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Man dies after jumping from Long Branch radio tower, authorities say | NJ.com

"Witnesses at the scene said the man was on the top of the tower for at least an hour, during which time they could see him “swinging” around parts of the tower and could hear him yelling something that was undecipherable"

My question is, why did no one call for police/fire...after an hour you would think that something is wrong and the guy needs help.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
My question is, why did no one call for police/fire...after an hour you would think that something is wrong and the guy needs help.

Funny thing is when I worked as a Paramedic, we would always have to "Uh-Oh Squad" standing around and yelling at us "What took you so long?" I would always quiet them down simply by asking "What time did YOU call us?"

Just hope they send the next of kin a bill for the cost of the job..Ive gotten tired of the -Extreme- sports crowd pushing the safety limit then When it go's bad they start screaming for help...When they succeed they boast the premise of going where they Do Not belong...
No real sympathy for the jumper..I mean really,,,its tantamount to committing faux suicide...How many time are you gonna tempt fate..Become Army Airborne...Youll get all the jump time you can handle.

Last edited:

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)

A report I saw on this said it was in fact a suicide.

sfd119

Just hope they send the next of kin a bill for the cost of the job..

...because that really promotes your agency in a great light when it hits the media: "NEXT AT 10: GUY DIES OFF OF TOWER, FIRE DEPT SENDS BILL TO FAMILY"

...because that really promotes your agency in a great light when it hits the media: "NEXT AT 10: GUY DIES OFF OF TOWER, FIRE DEPT SENDS BILL TO FAMILY"

Sounds like a Politicians Problem!

How about the follow up piece after the break,,

Cuts to public safety budgets are causing more equipment to be out of service longer,,,Putting FF and LEOs at risk on patrol,,or causing delays in response time..Mmm.. Yeah,,That seems like a real issue..

Cuts to public safety budgets are causing more equipment to be out of service longer,,,Putting FF and LEOs at risk on patrol,,or causing delays in response time..Mmm.. Yeah,,That seems like a real issue..

SCPD

QRT
I dont get it

Honestly why should the family pay for a suicide?They sure didnt want him to do it.....

sfd119

Honestly why should the family pay for a suicide?They sure didnt want him to do it.....

Exactly my point.

Your taxes pay for responses. FF and LEOs are put in dangerous spots all the time, doesn't mean the family should have to pay for it. We can't pick and choose our calls. A call for service is a call for service.

someone actually videotaped this event. the guy stopped about 1/2 way up to have a cigarette then continued all the way to the top. he was under the warning light and had a safety belt on holding on with one hand at one point.

Exactly my point.

Your taxes pay for responses. FF and LEOs are put in dangerous spots all the time, doesn't mean the family should have to pay for it. We can't pick and choose our calls. A call for service is a call for service.

Yep..and theres a name for this sort of behavior..Its called Wreckless Endangerment.Which carries Civil and Criminal penalties.
And I disagree.All calls for service are Not the same.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Real life isn't like the old "Emergency" episodes, and first responders will not climb a 400 foot tower to rescue someone at the top. In that sense, response time to this incident is a moot point. Had this person needed rescue, maybe a specialized rope team or a helicopter?

Last edited:

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)

No, they tell the fool to climb down on his own

sfd119

Yep..and theres a name for this sort of behavior..Its called Wreckless Endangerment.Which carries Civil and Criminal penalties.

A call is a call. Doesn't matter if it's a structure fire, a medical, a rescue, a false, etc. You still get paged out for it, it's a call for service that the tax payers expect. Fire Departments shouldn't (and can't) pick and choose what they want to go to.

And how do you know it was a suicide attempt? Of course we know that after the fact but during the incident you can't just go "Hmm, probably a suicide we'll cancel resources". It could have been a radio repair guy or tower light replacer stuck.

ridgescan

All this extreme stuff happening now-I am very sad:( A suicide? What kind of mental pain do these poor souls have to do something so far up the suffering scale..like that rapper who frikkin cuts off his thing-then jumps? Wow. I'm not getting it.

mikepdx

Civil and Criminal penalties ordered upon a mental case?
Swing the mighty sword of the Government.
That's what you'd call justice?

Last edited:

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

I absolutely do not agree with the Fire Department sending his family a bill.

But when an individual or group of individuals set a dumpster on fire, make false emergency calls, and use the Fire, Police and EMS agencies as characters for their "Pranks" ; then I believe something needs to be done about it.

When you misuse Public Safety resources you endanger lives. Starting a brush fire, or setting an abandoned building on fire..... that causes six or seven departments to respond to, takes resources and manpower away from a potential serious emergency that may cause lives to be in danger.

Example (1) = Station 555 is on the scene of a fire at an abandoned building. There is a call for a cardiac arrest in their response area, but since Station 555 is on a fire ( arson ) at an abandoned building ; station 557 has to respond, and their response will take them about six minutes longer since they are responding to another stations area.

That is six minutes longer without CPR , or Effective CPR , that the patient may have not neded to suffer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Example (2) = Station 555 is on the scene of multiple dumpster fires ( arsons ) that are near buildings. A call is dispatched to Station 557 to respond to Station 555's area for a two vehicle MVA with entrapement. Station 557 responds, and their response time takes about ten minutes longer than it would if Station 555 had responded...because it is on the very edge of Station 555's response area. The driver of one of the vehicles is entrapped, and partially conscious from the collision. Now keeping in mind "The Golden Hour ", Bystanders stand neart the accident, gasping and waiting in "Awe" till Fire Department Personnel arrive.

EMS units beat the Fire Department by a few minutes and starts triaging the patients - and stating Basic Life Support the best they can, and await a Rescue Truck to arrive, so the one entrapped driver can be extricated.

After the patients are all loaded, the tow trucks do their job, and the scene is cleared, the citizens are in ire over the response time of the Fire Department, and all agree that the next city council meeting they will voice their concerns and demand changes be made. All are angered, not knowing that two of their fellow citizens were responsible for the prolonged arrival of a distant Fire Station....because their fellow citizens set two dumpsters on fire that were next to occupied structures. The primary station responsible for their area.....was fighting two arson fires that should not have occurred.

-------------------------------------------------------

Example (3) = EMS unit 555 is called to 99999 Jones Street. The EMS crew walks in the house and finds a 41 year old female complaining about pain to the left leg, it has been hurting for the past five days. She wants to go to the hospital. The EMS crew asks the woman to stand up off of the couch and walk to the cot ( EMS crew studies her walk, posture and ability to ambulate as she "walks" from the couch to the cot ). She stands up off of the couch and walks with no difficulty, no strain or stress, and does not "Protect" her left left leg, not does she "favor" her right leg. Smiling at the EMS crew she sets down on the cot and crosses her arms across her chest, awaiting for the EMS crew to strap her down on the cot. The patient, stil smiling mentions to the EMS crew that it is just such a nice day.

During transport to the hospital emergency room, the patients vital signs are found to be with in normal limits. The left leg is examined = Pulse - Motor - Sensory is normal, Negative on DCAP-BTLS and further detailed examination is unremarkable.

Upon arrival to the hospital the patient is loaded onto the hospital cot, and the EMS crew briefs the nurse on the patient, vital signs, history, leg examination. The nurse thanks the EMS crew, and as the EMS crew is finishing their documentation ( time they briefed the nurse and turned the patient over to the hospital ) the Nurse walks in and greets the patient with a warm smile on her face.

"Hi...I am nurse Avery....I will be your nurse. What is wrong with you today Ms.Cauhill?

"Well Nurse......My stomach has been giving me problems, and I feel lightheaded? Is that cute Doctor.....Dr.Kildare working today?

We all run the "Ignorant calls". But there is no excuse....ABSOLUTELY no excuse for misusing or abusing Emergency Services.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
Civil and Criminal penalties ordered upon a mental case?

I agree that this ( fall from tower / mental case ) is not one one of those times when Civil and Crimnial penalties need to be handed out.

But that being said, there is a place and a time for civil and criminal penalties to be handed down.

And most every penality that occurs, should be publisized in the newpapers and evening news broadcast, in an effort to curb "false" emergency broadcast.

Just last month......six weeks ago I was working the grave yard shift ; and listening to the scanner. My local Law Enformcement agency was strained with domestics, burglary reports, serving warrants, jail transports, chasing suspicious vehicles from a citizens report of a strange car driving in front of their house in the early morning hours, and a host of other calls.

Then the scanner breaks loose. MVA ( Motor Vehicle Accident )....on the interstate. Car in the median.

Law Enforcement shows up, and they find no MVA. Five miles up the interstate and five miled down the interstate ( from the entrance ramp / overpass where they got on ) . Still nothing found.

This is not counting the 20 or 30 other bogus calls they get each month.....that I hear or am aware of.

You just have to know that on a percentage of these, someone is standing around watching and enjoying the flashing lights go up and down the road. From my observations.....the largest amount of false calls in "My neck of the woods" occur after sunset.

Making a false emergency call......maliciously, and / or just to see emergency vehicles "go down the road" should not occur.

Making false emergency calls for Ambulances should not occur either. What if the EMS attendant, in the performance of "treating the patient" per medical protocol (s).....really did make the "alledged" patient ( person abusing the "system" and are not injured or ill in any way ) sick or ill? It could make you find out real quick.....what drugs ( or drug components ) you really are allergic to? A person in good health, with nothing wrong has an allergic reaction or a cardiac episiode in an ambulance....when there was nothing wrong with them in the first place, and I have "heard" of this possibly occuring before. Routine drug administration and "Boom". From a low priority patient to a priority one patient.

Some people just do not understand what they do......when they misuse or abuse the system. They do not see the hidden dangers.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
And how do you know it was a suicide attempt?

It is hard to know what is in a persons mind, or what they were thinking. It is difficult to know what a persons reasoning or rationale is. We can not see inside another persons mind. According to my college education.....a sociologist or psychologist can hypothesize at times and guess.....but certain parts of medicine is not an exact science, and we there is a term called "false positive". Even the most capable, smartest and brightest cliniciticans get second opinions, and ask coleagues for help with medical cases, and ask for medical opinions. It is like EMS....One Paramedic can diagnose a 12 lead EKG strip totally different than another Paramedic. Heck....I have even seen Doctors ( one of my grandparents doctors ) get an EKG strip wrong. Medical mistakes ( medical field wide ) occur. Intentional or non-intentional they occur. Four or five years ago they were widely publicised = Surgeon cuts off the wrong leg - surgical instrument or gauze left inside a patient. And the list goes on. What we as Medical Professionals can do......is treat the patient the best way we know how....... with the time frame, and what he have to treat them with.

The only thing I can see with what I know about this particular situation...... that only thing that can occur is for Law Enformecement to do a thorough investigation of the scene, and quite possibly the persons past ( family and social life. Work history, education ). You want the documentation to be as factual as one can get. There are some investigations where you put yourself in the "victims" place, and come up with some really good theories. Placing yourself in the "Victims" shoes may even help you draw a picture of whom / what you are investigating and may.....MAY close the investigation sooner.

Suicide? Or was it murder because he was drugged ( PCP? ). Did he misuse inhalants? Was the fall ( or jumping ) really intentional? Did he really did not intend to fall.....but in his "joking around" he slipped and fell to his death?

Remember.....there are some things in life that are not what they seem or appear to be.

Car accidents, murders, suicides, arsons, and a broad host of other events......there most always will be speculation, conjecture and hypothesis. Most everyone will have an opinion.

Get accurate answers the best you can. The family that loved him so much would want correct and accurate answers ( wife - daughter - son ). Would you not want the truth if a loved one ( or close friend ) was lost, and there were no answers? I would.

Keep the prosecutor / district attorney up to date....and consult with them before releasing ANY information...to anyone, no matter how small - large - or trivial the information is.

Don't "blow" the investigation? Geting set back to square one occurs sometiimes, try not to let it occur because you ( investigator ) got careless. See the above statement ( releasing info ).

Investigations can be short.....or they can be long, but getting the right answers is key. The investigation and how it is handled / conducted... speaks volumes of the investigator(s).

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.