Radio Shack drops to $1 a share on renewed bankruptcy rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Another disconnect at RadioShack, shares drop below $1 | America's Markets

Wall Street continues to tune out RadioShack. Shares are off 10% to 93 cents in mid-day trading Friday, pushing RadioShack below $1 for the first time ever. It’s just the latest of 11 stocks to flush below $1 a share.

Hurt by plummeting sales, widening losses, disinterested shoppers, liquidity woes and a turnaround plan that’s failed to jolt the struggling specialty electronics retailer’s prospects, RadioShack’s now sinking on renewed bankruptcy rumors.

I think this is finally the "official" writing on the wall, folks. Most companies don't rebound from something like this. They will certainly NEVER be back at ther $100+ a share peak in the 80's. Sad to see 'em go, but as they say, that's progress.

-AZ

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
HAH! I know, right?

Seriously, fire the CEO and give me the job for half his pay. I certainly couldn't do any worse.

-AZ

Radio Shack was always one of those places to find electronic parts to re-build and fix things. But the cost to buy electronics these days are so cheap that you buy something it breaks, dump it and buy a new upgraded new one. Done Deal. No hassle.

Radio Shack had it's day in the Sun and with the stock dropping to under a buck I would say that they will shut their doors or mostly all of them will. Plus the people that work in those stores are kids that don't know anything. Just a warm body and pay them cheap to swipe credit cards and bag your merchandise. I see that they tried to push cell phones but I think that idea flopped too. Who buys a cell phone from RS. Nobody.

Please don't go into your local RS and ask them about scanner radios, they probably won't even know what those radio's are especially a Phase II TDMA capable radio and questions about programming the radio is not going to happen.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Please don't go into your local RS and ask them about scanner radios, they probably won't even know what those radio's are especially a Phase II TDMA capable radio and questions about programming the radio is not going to happen.

Yep. Most people have no reason these days to set foot in a Radio Shack store, and that's the problem. Those of us who still wander in from time to time are immediately beset upon by the salesdroids who quickly lose interest when I tell them I'm in their store for some oddball adapter or cable and not something more spendy. The last time I went there for a simple mono-to-stereo adapter, I had to buy a whole pack of adapters, most of which I will never use. That was the only way they sold the part I needed. Ridiculous! But I was already there and was too tired from a long day of shopping lots of other stores first (and not finding what I needed there either) to argue.

OK this will make you laugh. I just went looking at their site again - they have a new product protection plan called "It Happens". This is how they spelled "It": #!+*

LOL I had no idea "It" was a four-letter word.

Clever play on a popular phrase perhaps, but it's decisions like that one that result in sub $1 stock prices. Who's going to take you seriously when your flagship product looks like it's called "S*** Happens"? Good grief.

-AZ

w2xq

Mentor
The clock is running on delisting $RSH and moving to the OTC Pink Sheets, and comments on a reverse split are surfacing. That might delay the pain and suffering, but for how long? The pumpers are loose in the various stock forums.

judas12

Radio Shack was always one of those places to find electronic parts to re-build and fix things. But the cost to buy electronics these days are so cheap that you buy something it breaks, dump it and buy a new upgraded new one. Done Deal. No hassle.

Radio Shack had it's day in the Sun and with the stock dropping to under a buck I would say that they will shut their doors or mostly all of them will. Plus the people that work in those stores are kids that don't know anything. Just a warm body and pay them cheap to swipe credit cards and bag your merchandise. I see that they tried to push cell phones but I think that idea flopped too. Who buys a cell phone from RS. Nobody.

I went to my local RS here in LA and asked the employee if they had any police scanners. He looked at me like I was crazy and replied "umm no, those are illegal" right behind him on display was a pro-97 and a 528
lol.. I asked him what was the pro-97 and he replied with a smirk "it's a walkie talkie" hahaha

quarterwave

It's just sad to see them go. I cherished the annual catalog my dad would pick from our local store in strip mall of our small town. From the late 70's through the 80's those catalogs were awesome. I read them like a book, and I never misplaced my copy.

I went to work at our store in the 90's right after high school, when I started college. I would make a little better money than my job at my uncle's gas station where I had helped for about 3 years on the weekends. I did college the hard way, I drove an hour to classes and back 5 days a week.

I had met the new manager at the Shack on a trip in for parts, and basically told him I was going to a technical college for an electronics and communications degree, and I knew every item they sold. I asked him if he was hiring. We talked for an hour and he called me the next day and hired me.

I stayed about 3 years until I got my "real job". I went back the next Christmas to help them sell some big numbers for the holidays. I sold more computers in one weekend than had ever been sold at the store in one week, or come close to it. I' m no salesman, but I liked it. I got 2 of my buddies jobs there too.
I'm an Operations guy. I do technical, logistics, and people management...so having to sell was a downside that got overshadowed by the other great experience I got. I didn't feel like a salesman when I could stand at the counter and explain to someone how to make what they wanted out of parts.

I seldom go now at all. I am turned off by the emphasis on Cell Phones and basically junk that can be bought anywhere. When they started selling candy bars at the counter, I lost all faith. In my mind, my Radio Shack has stuff you can't get anywhere else. Those days are gone. I remember selling people all the stuff the department stores with "electronics" departments didn't sell. That's why Shacks patch cords and adapters cost so much...you had to get them from us!

I have been to the local store, which I actually helped move temporarily in the 90's so the space could be remodeled, once this year. I really hate to see it, but they may end up being just an online business only, as others have suggested, or die all together. But....Time marches on.

I still have the 20+ foot long, 4 foot tall acrylic sign panels from the old "Radio Shack + Computer Center" sign from being replaced over 20 years ago, in storage in my barn. Sorry for the memory lane trip!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Pretty soon Radio Shack will be trading as penny stock..lol.

Hope they have a good blow out sale and they're selling scanners for 80-90% off. Oh yeah!

wbswetnam

Pretty soon Radio Shack will be trading as penny stock..lol.

Hope they have a good blow out sale and they're selling scanners for 80-90% off. Oh yeah!

I also worked for RS... just for a year, back in the mid-1980s. I was the "scanner / CB go-to guy" at that store LOL. I remember one time a guy brought in a programmable Bearcat scanner (a 210 or 211 if I remember right) he had bought at an estate sale but it came without an instruction book, and he had no clue about how to program it. I asked him "Well, what do you want to listen to?" "Local cops, the fire department and the state patrol" he replied. I knew many of the local frequencies in my head so I started entering in all the frequencies for those agencies, then I wrote him a frequency / channel list on a piece of paper.

It was no charge but he tipped me $5 for programming it for him anyway.

AC2OY

Wow sad stuff the Radio Shack I went to in Clifton New Jersey had a sales girl and a manager who was very helpful a few years back when I bought my Pro-197. They told me about this little know website calked Radio Reference .com and even suggested that if I still couldn't get that scanner up and running to bring it back and they would help me program it!!

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack destroyed themselves when they became Cellphone Shack.

What was their alternative? Their demise was being carved in stone just before they went full-steam-ahead with the cell phones. The phones were a life line for them, but they never looked around to see what the cell phone providers were doing. Once Verizon and AT&T started opening up stores in every mall and every Main Street, they should have seen the light. But they didn't.

They would have been better off changing the whole business plan, like making it, "Frying Pan Shack," or something else totally unrelated to electronics.

RS = R.I.P.

w7mag

RS...
First job....
Hated wearing a tie..
Loved the real products back then.
Minimus 7's were the hot ticket.
TRS-80 Model 100 was cool when it came out too...

I still remember the store number.
#3502 in Mission Hills, Ca...

Status
Not open for further replies.