Washington, DC - Protest delays FBI’s huge sole-source deal with Motorola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
WASHINGTON — A protest by a small two-way radio manufacturer has stalled an FBI plan to hand a sole-source contract worth up to $500 million to emergency communications giant Motorola Solutions Inc., mainly to upgrade the bureau’s 30-year-old network.

WASHINGTON: Protest delays FBI’s huge sole-source deal with Motorola | National Security & Defense | McClatchy DC

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
Interesting read. Maybe moneyrola finally went too far.

This whole "homeland security" fiasco truly does make me want to puke when
I read of the outrageous sums of money squandered on un-needed goods throughout the nation in recent years, yet these agencies are more inept then ever.
This has been the biggest pork barrel I have ever seen or heard of.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Typical abuse

This is typical of the abusive nature of companies and agencies that push encryption. Right now would be the perfect time for a hero hacker to post some software that would emulate that 40 bit ADP so the average Joe could listen in. That would further embarrass Motorola.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
WASHINGTON — A protest by a small two-way radio manufacturer has stalled an FBI plan to hand a sole-source contract worth up to $500 million to emergency communications giant Motorola Solutions Inc., mainly to upgrade the bureau’s 30-year-old network.

WASHINGTON: Protest delays FBI’s huge sole-source deal with Motorola | National Security & Defense | McClatchy DC

Thanks for posting this article. I'm not sure why the FBI would propose a sole-source deal with Motorola or any other radio manufacture. They should request a solicitation of equipment needed and the approved vendors would place bids on it. This is a 60 month contract worth 500 million. I hope this was a mistake by the contracting officer. If it wasn't a mistake, then the Government Accounting Office needs to look into this.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...24b4f8c7ba1f1e356ec958cc5d7&tab=core&_cview=0

Squad10

Maybe it's a cooperation purchase reward. Makes me wonder if MO (still?) provides "back door" or "how to" information that allows a never say anything three letter agency to conveniently access MO's proprietary technology for purpose of intelligence.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I am glad to see people standing up to the big M. The company, like many others, has gotten too large of an ego.

Sent via Tapatalk

There is only 1 thing that needs to be said... At the end of the day EVERY SINGLE municipality had the choice and made the decision to go with Moto. How on Gods green Earth is that Motos fault? Everybody could have gone with somebody else, but THEY the ones who decided on the purchase didn't. Absolutely amazing how everybody is so quick to blame the bigger company for this or that. Not to mention it was quite funny how Relm Wireless, compared itself to Moto. I'd like to see a Relm portable dropped from the 2nd floor on to concrete and survive!!!!!!!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
There is only 1 thing that needs to be said... At the end of the day EVERY SINGLE municipality had the choice and made the decision to go with Moto. How on Gods green Earth is that Motos fault? Everybody could have gone with somebody else, but THEY the ones who decided on the purchase didn't. Absolutely amazing how everybody is so quick to blame the bigger company for this or that. Not to mention it was quite funny how Relm Wireless, compared itself to Moto. I'd like to see a Relm portable dropped from the 2nd floor on to concrete and survive!!!!!!!

Have you read the other thread, about the "questionable" bid practices? Those are likely to be M's fault, leaving clueless manager's thinking they must purchase M products.

Sent via Tapatalk

bailly2

re: washington dc protest delays fbi's huge sole source deal with motorola

yeah businesses like relm wireless protest........with their lawyers filing motions, not exactly standing in the cold for hours, possibly getting assaulted by the people your protesting or cops macing you. reminds me of when the wall street journal says someone is an "activist", they don't mean someone trying to fix an injustice, they mean some greedy businessperson mad that a company is not making enough money

Have you read the other thread, about the "questionable" bid practices? Those are likely to be M's fault, leaving clueless manager's thinking they must purchase M products.

Sent via Tapatalk

At the end of the end of the day, as a TRS manager, one should have more intelligence and shop around. Ignorance is no excuse. So are you going to blame the salesmen at a car dealership for having the most sales in the region or are they just going to be considered good at there job?

w4rez

How does that Motorola-flavored Kool-Aid taste? Does it taste as bad as Chicago-style pizza?

That Relm portable might not survive that fall, but I bet you there's quite a few Kenwood, Harris, and Icom radios that could.

kklyberg

Relm=BK Radio

How does that Motorola-flavored Kool-Aid taste? Does it taste as bad as Chicago-style pizza?

That Relm portable might not survive that fall, but I bet you there's quite a few Kenwood, Harris, and Icom radios that could.

There are quite a few Wild land Fire Fighters who would claim that the durability of the BK Radio is without question.
The BK Radio in the law enforcement community is a relative new comer, but just because we are relatively unknown does not mean we are not durable.

Interesting question you propose. The Moto Kool-Aid is actually not to bad. You can definitely take some Trbo in it, along with some CP, XTS and some APX in it. Kinda like the Dr Pepper 21! And why you dissing on Chicago style pizza?

There are quite a few Wild land Fire Fighters who would claim that the durability of the BK Radio is without question.
The BK Radio in the law enforcement community is a relative new comer, but just because we are relatively unknown does not mean we are not durable.

I personally cant comment on iCom. Don't believe I have ever used one, however I have used Harris (P7100), Kenwood (TK380) and more Motos (then can be listed).

DPD1

When you charge 4k for a handheld, I guess that's why you can afford to give up lucrative niches like the rail industry. Is the APX6000 and other P25 models even made in the US? That would at least be some sort of justification for higher prices, but I don't think they are.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber

Sent via Tapatalk

I have seen first hand Kenwood and Harris rig RFP's and contract bids to favor them. I saw this first hand.

When a RFP is written to only favor NXDN, or a Harris bid is written to be fully compatible with a M/A Com legacy product, yea I'd say that's rigging.

So, the "other" guys are guilty of rigging bids, but you never hear talk about that on RR. Nope.

Interesting.

+1 !! they're also a little big to be carrying around for an everyday radio ! But they work great for WLFF

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have seen first hand Kenwood and Harris rig RFP's and contract bids to favor them. I saw this first hand.

When a RFP is written to only favor NXDN, or a Harris bid is written to be fully compatible with a M/A Com legacy product, yea I'd say that's rigging.

So, the "other" guys are guilty of rigging bids, but you never hear talk about that on RR. Nope.

Interesting.

If/when any company is using shady practices, I hope they are called out.

Fiscally, I can understand a certain amount of compatibility concerns, or not wanting to purchase new programming equipment, new accessories, etc...

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.