Belgium - Antwerp Police chooses Sepura

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

Amazing how the rest of the world chooses radios that are considerably smaller, lighter and cheaper. Not APX P25!
Belgium is a highly developed, stable country. Makes you wonder what makes their needs so vastly different from in the US.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Amazing how the rest of the world chooses radios that are considerably smaller, lighter and cheaper. Not APX P25!
Belgium is a highly developed, stable country. Makes you wonder what makes their needs so vastly different from in the US.

What is your source for the "cheaper" part of the claim?

ASAD

I don’t know how much APX is but I’d like to share the prices I was quoted when I was in the market for digital radios. This is for analysis only and may have changed already. These are non-bulk prices per unit (each). I had to put a lot of time in this project, hopefully it will save others sometime in comparison.

SEPURA:

I reached out to Sepura to inquire about TETRA terminals in 2011, their marketing director quoted me the following prices. Back then they didn’t have dealer in the U.S.

SRG3500 mobile $800 - $1,200 - now discontinued
STP8000 portable $800 - $1,000 - now discontinued

As of 2014 Sepura does have dealers in the U.S. One of them quote me the following prices this summer. The above two TETRA models were succeeded by the following two, which are still in production.

SRG3900 mobile $1,690
STP8100 portable with battery, antenna and GPS is $1,350

TAIT:

TM9135 mobile with LCD and keypad mic 400-470M 25W $1,800
TP9140 portable $1,793
TP9440 portable $2,186

NEXEDGE:

Kenwood NX-800HK2 45 watts $561
Kenwood NX-800K2 30 watts $478
Kenwood NX-300G - LCD and full keypad, built-in GPS, WITHOUT battery, charger, antenna $462
- battery, antenna, and charger would add another $150 to NX-300 price

SEPURA DMR:

SEM8040 mobile 400-470 MHz 45 watts built-in GPS $614
SEP8040 portable 400-470 MHz full keypad, LCD, battery, charger, antenna, GPS $614

rapidcharger

I don’t know how much APX is

Well the attached PDF will shed some light on that. It's the state of Colorado contract pricing.

You will see that the most commonly ordered APX portables, the 6000 runs a little over $4,000USD with options and the 7000 runs a little over $4600 USD with options.

That's a lot more than the tetra terminals but subscriber units is only the tip of the iceberg. It's the infrastructure costs of covering wide areas over crazy terrain with 700-800 mhz bands that they don't do in Europe. And here in America we have a tendency to buy more than one DTRS. We buy the first one that doesn't work then we buy another one.

There is this notion in America that public safety must wear their radio close to their body and use an audio accessory on their shoulder, many of which cost nearly as much and weigh nearly as an entire decent analog radio. That means the networks need to be built out to accommodate "body-worn coverage" because public safety in America does not wear these large bulky radios on their shoulders like the rest of the world does with tetra terminals and the practice of holding the radio upright in front of your face while transmitting is no longer in use despite being satisfactory for eons. Thus, it seems the lighter shoulder worn tetra radios seems to make a lot more sense to me. The problem is they don't cost enough apparently.

Attachments

• Motorola Price List 2012.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 7,458
Last edited:

2wayfreq

I would not want to wear something that is constantly pulsing RF into an area of my body. There have been reports of tumors and cancer with the Tetra Devices. A P25 Trunking radio Affiliates once to "Log On" to the system.

12dbsinad

I would not want to wear something that is constantly pulsing RF into an area of my body. There have been reports of tumors and cancer with the Tetra Devices. A P25 Trunking radio Affiliates once to "Log On" to the system.

Yet millions of people walk around everyday with bluetooth devices jammed in their ear all day long and think nothing of it...

Raccon

I would not want to wear something that is constantly pulsing RF into an area of my body. There have been reports of tumors and cancer with the Tetra Devices.
Should't that read "There have been reports of rumors ..." ;)

A P25 Trunking radio Affiliates once to "Log On" to the system.
The "Log On" is called registration. Affiliation follows registration. Anyway, if you are trying to imply the radio only transmits by itself during "Log On" I think you are mistaken.

2wayfreq

Ahh Yes..here we go with the "Technical Correctors" on the soapbox. I guess that was expected.

Raccon

Ahh Yes..here we go with the "Technical Correctors" on the soapbox. I guess that was expected.
You should have read the rest of the post, too, but perhaps you can give a clear answer to the question below related to the following statement of yours:

I would not want to wear something that is constantly pulsing RF into an area of my body. [...] A P25 Trunking radio Affiliates once to "Log On" to the system.

So did you want to state or imply that a P25 radio transmits by itself only during "Log on" while a TETRA radio transmits constantly by itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.