Seattle WA region upgrades to digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prplehz

Most likely because it's a matter of if and when they choose. It has the capability. Will they use it? That is up to them. I am betting they will, but only for the more sensitive groups. They could encrypt them now as it is and they don't. I am guessing just type 2 digital in the clear. They can turn encryption and off at will from what I understand though. That's what I don't like.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
Most likely because it's a matter of if and when they choose. It has the capability. Will they use it? That is up to them. I am betting they will, but only for the more sensitive groups. They could encrypt them now as it is and they don't. I am guessing just type 2 digital in the clear. They can turn encryption and off at will from what I understand though. That's what I don't like.

Selectable encryption IMHO is better than full-time encryption. That's just my 2¢.

2wayfreq

I have never seen a "User Selectable" option for a talk group in public safety. It is either "Strapped" to the talk group full time or it is a designated Clear TG. They don't want officers accidentally switching off encryption and mistakenly believing they have a Secure Comm.

SCPD

QRT
Some places strap, others allow user selectable unless it's a restricted channel or talkgroup. Of there is proper training which lacks in allot areas they instruct on all that. A user hears a normal beep prior the affiliation tone this tells the user your in clear non secure. No beep then affiliation tone your secure. Most the restricted stuff like your swat and detectives would be strapped. Othe non sensitive stuff csn be user defined but it really depends what region your in. To one admin it works this way, while another admin will say no way Jose that is clearly not what I want in my system. The techs and admins are particular in each region how they like it and what protocols are best. Some very strict and secure oriented while others vary.

2wayfreq

I am hoping they keep the Dispatch channels clear. Out here, Phoenix PD, Glendale, Peoria etc. have Clear Primary Dispatch but the Tacticals, Chase, Swat, Special Enforcement etc. are encrypted.

PACNWDude

King Co upgrades.

I just hope the system actually works for that amount of money. Other systems that have been upgraded have been painfully overpriced, fraught with problems and if you look at some of the public safety vehicles near the Canadian border, those whips are crazy.

Some of the vehicles have three whip antennas on fender/hood mounts. The rest of their infrastructure installs went about the same way.

So it is also important to have the right people do the work. Good luck to King County.

I know, pictures or it didn't happen.

Attachments

• 10300783_10204139781643106_5301324769442328951_n.jpg
    10300783_10204139781643106_5301324769442328951_n.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 443

superfreak

I just hope the system actually works for that amount of money. Other systems that have been upgraded have been painfully overpriced, fraught with problems and if you look at some of the public safety vehicles near the Canadian border, those whips are crazy.

Some of the vehicles have three whip antennas on fender/hood mounts. The rest of their infrastructure installs went about the same way.

So it is also important to have the right people do the work. Good luck to King County.

I know, pictures or it didn't happen.

Well looking at that vehicle, I can tell you it is not from King County and more than likely that forward antenna on the driver's side is "ham" crap..

A ham must of installed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.