RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News - Announcements and News of interest to the entire RadioReference/Broadcastify Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. *** Please post regional and manufacturer specific news in the appropriate regional or manufacturer forum. Thanks. ***

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBassman View Post
Hello to the group. I am new to scanning and my next scanner will be my first.

I enjoy listening to HF Shortwave Radio Stations on my Ten Tec Radio at home. Though I would also like something that is portable that I may take away on holidays to our caravan park cabin by the sea.

I was thinking of purchasing a UNIDEN UBCD-325PT Trunking Scanner to listen to local emergency services on P25, phase 1 and phase 2. At home and by the sea side holiday getaway.

I face a bit of a conundrum.

1. Do I purchase the UBCD-325PT?

2. Do I purchase the IC-R30?

3. Do I purchase a Sangean 909x?

4. Do I purchase a Commradio CTX-10?

I am hoping that the IC-R30 will be the answer to my dreams and all my needs could be handled by one radio purchase. Though it does not do Trunking, or as far as we know. I must say I do not understand Trunking and do not know if I will be missing out on anything? How do you listen to a Trunking radio please?

Or would I be better off purchasing a UBCD-325PT and a Sangean 909x or a yet to be released Commradio CTX-10?

Thank you for your time reading this far.

Warm regards,

Mitch.
Considering your location Mitch, within the Regional Mobile Radio trunked network footprint and close to metro Melbourne with Metropolitan Mobile Radio trunked network, the UBCD325P2-AU will be the better option. With CFA moving onto the RMR, and ASV, SES and VicPol (not that you can listen to them) apparently doing the same, you really need a trunking scanner is you want to listen to emergency services communications in your area.
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2017, 6:20 PM

This IS an SDR, but the computing power is built in so the receiver does not need an outboard laptop or PC. This appeals to me, but I'll hold fire until more details are released. What ADC is used, 14-bit or 16? No doubt it is direct-sampling up to a certain frequency, above which it becomes a down-conversion receiver with a digitally-sampled IF. At what frequency does it change over?
How much instantaneous b/w can it digitise - 200KHz, 5 MHz, 10 MHz?
Can the display be changed to show a full-screen spectrum/waterfall with the tuned frequency displayed readably in a corner?
I like the idea of a fully-featured 'SDR-with-digital-modes-in-a-box', but I need to know more before I pre-order.

Last edited by Andy3; 02-02-2017 at 6:26 PM..
Old 02-03-2017, 8:46 AM

I checked the FCC's equipment authorization site for anything new from iCOM and I still don't see the I-30. We should see something on the FCC's site at least a few weeks but more likely a few months before it is released. I will check periodically and post here if anything shows up. Their FCC grantee code is AFJ and you can find the equip authorization search here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm

A few others to watch:

AOR's code is NVJ
Whistler is HSX
Uniden is AMW

What's cool is that you can see external pictures of every side and read the owners manual long before the item is released.
Old 02-14-2017, 5:16 PM

This turned up on the Icom Japan website yesterday (today US time).

10kHz~3GHzの広帯域・デジタル波対応の 信機 IC-R8600 新発売。|プレスリリース|アイコ **式会社
Old 02-14-2017, 5:35 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air490 View Post
Hello,

Thanks! Suggested Retail Price is 228, 000 Yen or 1995.50 US Dollars. Scheduled to be released at the end of March 2017.

Here is the google translate of the page:
Broad band of 10 kHz to 3 GHz Newly released receiver IC-R 8600 compatible with digital wave.

IP 501 H
Product name / type name Communication receiver / IC - R 8600
Suggested retail price 228,000 yen + tax
Release date Scheduled to be released at the end of March 2017
Scheduled to be sold annually 250 units

Icom Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Osaka-shi Hirano Ward, President: Tsutomu Fukui) will release a communications receiver-compatible receiver, IC-R 8600 for communication that covers an ultra-wideband of 10 kHz to 3 GHz * from the end of March 2017 .

The IC - R 8600 covers a broadband of 10 kHz to 3 GHz * with various analog modes (USB / LSB, FSK, CW, AM, FM / WFM). In addition to supporting reception of Digital Communication Radio (DCR) for the first time as our receiver, we are also working on digital communications such as D - STAR digital communication recommended by Japan Amateur Radio Association, NXDN for overseas business radio standards, dPMR , P25 It is possible to receive radio waves of the system. It is a broadband receiver with not only reception as a hobby, such as radio wave detection, listening to communication contents, recording of reception contents, but also performance and function necessary for advanced radio wave monitoring / analysis of business use.

In addition, FPGA (Field-Programmable Gate Array) + DSP method is adopted, demodulation is all processed by software. It realizes a circuit configuration that is advantageous for image reception, making it possible to receive clearer audio. In addition, the accuracy and display speed of the spectrum scope also achieved remarkably higher performance than those including the analog circuit in the demodulation section.

In addition, we have excellent receiving sensitivity and multi-signal characteristics such as adopting 11 band split (HF band) and 13 band split (V / U band) band pass filter at front end of RF section.

Extensibility is also a major feature. It supports operation from PC and remote control via LAN. Moreover, by providing I / Q output (corresponding to firmware up) terminal, it can be used for advanced radio wave analysis etc.

In terms of operability, 4.3 inch color TFT liquid crystal corresponding to touch operation is equipped as a user interface. High-precision spectroscope and high-resolution display that draw out the power of waterfall are possible. In addition, there are three multifunction dials, which realized quick access to the desired function. In addition to having a large capacity memory of 2400 ch capable of writing the channel name using Kanji, various scanning functions (up to 100 ch per second) are possible, so we will not miss the emergence of the target radio wave.

Other features such as sound recording to SD card, absolute value indication of signal intensity and other features that can withstand professional installation. In addition, as an optional option, an external speaker SP - 39AD with built - in power supply is also available.
【Main features】

Cover the broadband of 10 kHz to 3 GHz * in various modes.
Adopt 4.3 inch color TFT liquid crystal display compatible with touch operation.
It supports reception of digital waves (DCR, D - STAR , NXDN , dPMR , P25).
Equipped with real-time spectrum scope and waterfall for visualizing radio wave conditions.
It corresponds to operation by PC and remote operation via LAN.
Absolute value indication of signal strength, etc. We have a rich set of functions that can withstand professional use.

※ ... Except for some frequencies.
D - STAR is a registered trademark of the Japan Amateur Radio Association. Icom Inc., ICOM, ICOM logo are registered trademarks of Icom corporation. NXDN is a registered trademark of ICOM Co., Ltd. and JVC KENWOOD Corporation. DPMR is a registered trademark of dPMR MoU Association.

73 Eric
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2017, 7:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes but its ICOM so you know the must have left out something important!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack103 View Post
Yes but its ICOM so you know the must have left out something important!
Hello,

Yes,they left off DMR.

73 Eric
Old 02-15-2017, 5:39 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
Hello,

Yes,they left off DMR.

73 Eric
That's a shame they left out DMR but with Color Codes and TS1 and TS2. Just buy a TYT MD380 and you get it all.
Old 02-15-2017, 6:50 PM

I'm wondering what the reference to DCR is about.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2017, 9:47 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air490 View Post
I'm wondering what the reference to DCR is about.
Hello,

Likely STD-T98 Digital Convenience Radio. It is a Japanese standard similar to NXDN.

73 Eric
Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 PM

That makes sense.
Old 02-16-2017, 3:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No trunking. I know, as the president of AOR said about AR-DV1, it's not a scanner, its a receiver. OK, I get it. But still for VHF/UHF/800 Mhz monitoring in North America, pretty useless. Is trunking that difficult. Uniden and GRE/Whistler have had it for years in much lower priced scanners. Also no DMR and looks like no P25 phase 2 from what I read on Japanese web sites.
I won't be in line to be one of the first to buy the 8600. Only 250 units per year expected also concerns me. With that small number, how committed will ICOM be to devoting tech staff to work out inevitable bugs and problems that are inherent in any radio. Will they be committed to FW updates?
That said, I do like the IC-R20 that I have had for many years and take for overseas travel. So the IC R30 does sound interesting for portable carry use on vacations.
A radio like the R8500 was certainly a step-up radio back in the day. Never would think of spending the money for an R9000. But these days with trunking scanners like 536HP and TRX-2 that now have DMR and NXDN (hopefully Uniden will soon), and having SDRs like Perseus, ELAD, and more recently AirSpy and RSP2Pro tied into DSD-Plus, one must really consider whether they are going to get much added features with these newer ICOM, or any other, more traditional high-end radios. At least I feel that way.
So 250/year for ICOM is probably a realistic number. Likely much higher if all these other SDR/scanner/DSDPlus options never existed.
Old 02-16-2017, 5:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
With that small number, how committed will ICOM be to devoting tech staff to work out inevitable bugs and problems that are inherent in any radio. Will they be committed to FW updates?
You're right there.

With the IC-R9500 they've only ever done two firmware updates, both in 2007. Ever since, they've studiously ignored input re updates to add modes & features, which one would think would share some commonality programming-wise with their high end transceivers IC-7700 IC-7800.
Old 02-17-2017, 2:54 PM

I was seriously thinking about getting one of these, but if it ain't got DMR it's not a lot of good in the UK. NXDN and DMR are the two main digital modes here.