Sweden's Ambulances Can Block Your Radio Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

This seams like a really neat idea but not super practical. People will still be claiming that they didn't know about the ambulance even if there radio turns off.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
What about CD players, mp3 players and satellite radio?

N2JDS

I actually invented the same thing 20 years ago, called it the Yelper Helper. Built from off the shelf parts from radioshack. hard part was getting it to broadcast a signal strong enough to cover the spectrum without breaking FCC laws without getting permission to test. Then looking at satellite radio becoming a thing, and knowing then that a large percentage of people wouldn't be listening to FM radio, gave up on it.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago I worked as an EMT for Beacon Ambulance Service in Raleigh, NC. One evening, my driver (John) and I were responding to an emergency call in our old reliable chariot, "Beacon 5."

Looking in a rear view mirror, there were a total of 15 flashing red lights, plus the two headlights wig-wagging. On the roof was a Federal Q2 mechanical siren operated by a foot switch. The torque on that monster would literally twist the front end on spin up.

Adding to the audio mayhem was an electronic Federal siren, for which I have forgotten the precise model number.

Any way, eventually our way was blocked by a very slow moving Cadillac battle tank being driven by a little old lady. She was completely oblivious to both the sirens and the lights. We could see the "wash of red light" that was illuminating her car's interior.

After a few frustrating minutes, I reached over and blew the unit's anemic horn. That she heard! In any event, it startled her so much that she jerked the wheel, ran off the road directly into a tree. We had to stop to aid her and call for a backup unit to take over our original call.

Beacon #5 was in the center:
trZMA.jpg

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I call BS on it jamming wired audio connections.

I gotta agree with you on this one. Bluetooth, maybe, but wired connections? I can see the headlights going off, the emergency flashers coming on, the GPS taking you down a boat ramp and your trunk lid opening at the same time your mp3 player goes silent.

kf8yk

I call BS on it jamming wired audio connections.

I though so too, but looking at the system description it appears the designers are exploiting a feature of the RDS/RBDS system found in many car stereos.

Many car stereos will continue to monitor the radio receiver during other modes such as CD, tape, aux in or Bluetooth looking for RDS traffic alerts. When a traffic alert is received the stereo switches over to the FM receiver to hear the bulletin, including possibly switching frequency to hear the bulletin.

By transmitting a FM jamming signal from the ambulance with the TA flag set in the RDS stream it's possible to affect these 'aux in' users.

I imagine that this system includes a second FM transmitter to act as the 'bulletin' transmitter on an unused FM channel. The jamming transmitter RDS stream would include an EON command for car stereos to tune to this bulletin frequency.

SCPD

QRT
About 20 years ago I had thought of this concept and how it would be nice to have. Since people don't pay attention I thought wouldn't it be nice if the fm and am radio muted and a loud beep played and a audio voice saying warning emergency vehicle or pull over emergency vehicle. Ideally it would be a feature or required feature in automobiles. I'm sure many have had similiar ideas the last 30 years. It sure would help allot when you get clowns holding up a line of engines or a medic and first responder.

I'll add I like that someone has taken the step to open a door and get the foot in for this finally.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I though so too, but looking at the system description it appears the designers are exploiting a feature of the RDS/RBDS system found in many car stereos.

Which is not universal, especially in older vehicles.

Better is on the horizon.

This is nifty, but Intelligent Traffic Systems offer a far superior solution and will be part of the American driving experience pretty soon. Plug in IEEE, ITS, and emergency vehicle into your favorite search engine if you'd like to see the developments.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I can already hear people complaining about the inconvenience but as a former LEO, I welcome it. In more than 3 decades of police and Homeland Security work, I've found that fewer and fewer people pull over for public safety vehicles with emergency equipment on.

talkpair

Many devices operate in the Industrial-Scientific-Medical bands.

Seems unlikely that any regulatory agency in the US would approve of a jamming device which could interfere with a medical device.

D

DaveNF2G

Many devices operate in the Industrial-Scientific-Medical bands.

Seems unlikely that any regulatory agency in the US would approve of a jamming device which could interfere with a medical device.

When dealing with RF, there is only one regulatory agency that matters. FCC has a firm policy against radio jamming in any situation.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
When dealing with RF, there is only one regulatory agency that matters. FCC has a firm policy against radio jamming in any situation.

You make a great point. I don't think they allow cell phone jamming in correctional institutions either.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Actually when it comes to any matter legally there is only one final word in it, and that will be from an judge in an courtroom, or from an Supreme Court Justice ten years after the original judge says his piece. What the FCC says or is told to say by Congress is only valid on paper til it gets its day in court. What is written in black and white is actually gray as we find out time and again in our nation.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Except when it The Secret Service - this is done during Presidential convoys. No idea as to how much or how often.

Status
Not open for further replies.