RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News - Announcements and News of interest to the entire RadioReference/Broadcastify Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. *** Please post regional and manufacturer specific news in the appropriate regional or manufacturer forum. Thanks. ***

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 AM

Lightbulb Sweden's Ambulances Can Block Your Radio Signal

"Three students from KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden have invented a program that jams FM radio waves in civilian vehicles and warns them of an approaching ambulance or firetruck."

Sweden's Ambulances Can Block Your Radio Signal
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2017, 9:47 AM

This seams like a really neat idea but not super practical. People will still be claiming that they didn't know about the ambulance even if there radio turns off.
Old 01-18-2017, 9:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What about CD players, mp3 players and satellite radio?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Don't we have something similar in the form of RDS alerts?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I actually invented the same thing 20 years ago, called it the Yelper Helper. Built from off the shelf parts from radioshack. hard part was getting it to broadcast a signal strong enough to cover the spectrum without breaking FCC laws without getting permission to test. Then looking at satellite radio becoming a thing, and knowing then that a large percentage of people wouldn't be listening to FM radio, gave up on it.
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2017, 10:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
What about CD players, mp3 players and satellite radio?
The article contains this phrase:
"According to Evam System, the device will also block the use of auxiliary cords and Bluetooth."
Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetervonB View Post
The article contains this phrase:
"According to Evam System, the device will also block the use of auxiliary cords and Bluetooth."
I call BS on it jamming wired audio connections.
Old 01-19-2017, 2:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Many years ago I worked as an EMT for Beacon Ambulance Service in Raleigh, NC. One evening, my driver (John) and I were responding to an emergency call in our old reliable chariot, "Beacon 5."

Looking in a rear view mirror, there were a total of 15 flashing red lights, plus the two headlights wig-wagging. On the roof was a Federal Q2 mechanical siren operated by a foot switch. The torque on that monster would literally twist the front end on spin up.

Adding to the audio mayhem was an electronic Federal siren, for which I have forgotten the precise model number.

Any way, eventually our way was blocked by a very slow moving Cadillac battle tank being driven by a little old lady. She was completely oblivious to both the sirens and the lights. We could see the "wash of red light" that was illuminating her car's interior.

After a few frustrating minutes, I reached over and blew the unit's anemic horn. That she heard! In any event, it startled her so much that she jerked the wheel, ran off the road directly into a tree. We had to stop to aid her and call for a backup unit to take over our original call.

Beacon #5 was in the center:
Old 01-19-2017, 3:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
I gotta agree with you on this one. Bluetooth, maybe, but wired connections? I can see the headlights going off, the emergency flashers coming on, the GPS taking you down a boat ramp and your trunk lid opening at the same time your mp3 player goes silent.
Sponsored links

Old 01-19-2017, 6:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
I though so too, but looking at the system description it appears the designers are exploiting a feature of the RDS/RBDS system found in many car stereos.

Many car stereos will continue to monitor the radio receiver during other modes such as CD, tape, aux in or Bluetooth looking for RDS traffic alerts. When a traffic alert is received the stereo switches over to the FM receiver to hear the bulletin, including possibly switching frequency to hear the bulletin.

By transmitting a FM jamming signal from the ambulance with the TA flag set in the RDS stream it's possible to affect these 'aux in' users.

I imagine that this system includes a second FM transmitter to act as the 'bulletin' transmitter on an unused FM channel. The jamming transmitter RDS stream would include an EON command for car stereos to tune to this bulletin frequency.
Old 01-19-2017, 8:53 PM

Check out smartphone app " Haas Alert". Seems to do same / similar thing.
Old 01-19-2017, 8:54 PM

About 20 years ago I had thought of this concept and how it would be nice to have. Since people don't pay attention I thought wouldn't it be nice if the fm and am radio muted and a loud beep played and a audio voice saying warning emergency vehicle or pull over emergency vehicle. Ideally it would be a feature or required feature in automobiles. I'm sure many have had similiar ideas the last 30 years. It sure would help allot when you get clowns holding up a line of engines or a medic and first responder.

I'll add I like that someone has taken the step to open a door and get the foot in for this finally.
Old 01-20-2017, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf8yk View Post
I though so too, but looking at the system description it appears the designers are exploiting a feature of the RDS/RBDS system found in many car stereos.
Which is not universal, especially in older vehicles.
Old 01-20-2017, 1:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Better is on the horizon.

This is nifty, but Intelligent Traffic Systems offer a far superior solution and will be part of the American driving experience pretty soon. Plug in IEEE, ITS, and emergency vehicle into your favorite search engine if you'd like to see the developments.
Old 01-20-2017, 4:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I can already hear people complaining about the inconvenience but as a former LEO, I welcome it. In more than 3 decades of police and Homeland Security work, I've found that fewer and fewer people pull over for public safety vehicles with emergency equipment on.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2017, 7:38 PM

Many devices operate in the Industrial-Scientific-Medical bands.

Seems unlikely that any regulatory agency in the US would approve of a jamming device which could interfere with a medical device.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkpair View Post
Many devices operate in the Industrial-Scientific-Medical bands.

Seems unlikely that any regulatory agency in the US would approve of a jamming device which could interfere with a medical device.
When dealing with RF, there is only one regulatory agency that matters. FCC has a firm policy against radio jamming in any situation.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
When dealing with RF, there is only one regulatory agency that matters. FCC has a firm policy against radio jamming in any situation.
You make a great point. I don't think they allow cell phone jamming in correctional institutions either.
Old 01-22-2017, 6:45 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Actually when it comes to any matter legally there is only one final word in it, and that will be from an judge in an courtroom, or from an Supreme Court Justice ten years after the original judge says his piece. What the FCC says or is told to say by Congress is only valid on paper til it gets its day in court. What is written in black and white is actually gray as we find out time and again in our nation.
Old 01-22-2017, 7:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Except when it The Secret Service - this is done during Presidential convoys. No idea as to how much or how often.