RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News


Community Announcements and News - Announcements and News of interest to the entire RadioReference/Broadcastify Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. *** Please post regional and manufacturer specific news in the appropriate regional or manufacturer forum. Thanks. ***

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 PM
IdleMonitor's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Ottawa Valley - Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,133
Default BearCom Acquires Turris Communications

Strategic acquisition expands BearCom’s operations across Canada


September 7, 2018: Dallas, TX — BearCom Group, Inc. (“BearCom”), North America’s largest and pre-eminent provider of wireless*communications equipment and solutions for two-way radios as well as other voice and data technologies, today announced the acquisition of Turris Communications Ltd. – a subsidiary of Turris Group in partnership*with Red Jasper Capital.

Turris Communications has offices in Burnaby, BC; Calgary, Edmonton, and Medicine Hat, AB; Saskatoon, SK; Woodstock, Peterborough, Belleville, Kingston, Ottawa, and Cornwall, ON; and Gatineau, QC.

https://bearcom.com/press-release/be...nt-integrator/
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2018, 4:05 PM
iamhere300's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chappell Hill TX
Posts: 1,291
Default

Nice. This will add significantly to their footprint
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2018, 7:17 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,130
Default

Also bought a Motorola Partner shop in Tampa Florida last week too.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2018, 8:41 PM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,804
Default

Ha, I worked for Bearcom in the early 80s when it was owned by Mr. "Bear" and before it was sold to Jerry and current partners. I must say they have done well.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: pittsboro in / mesa az
Posts: 430
Default

I first met Jerry and Brent at an Indy car race in the mid 80s. I worked for them twice over he last 15 years.
__________________
jay thompson / CETsr, GROL
COML, COMT trainee
KC9VTT / COML DMAT CA-4
you must be really bored to be reading this far down
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2018, 6:35 AM
Forts's Avatar
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Strathroy, Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,442
Default

....And they also bought Spectrum Communications out of London.

https://www.spectrum-communications....communications

They've been busy!
__________________
Middlesex County/Strathroy-Caradoc Fire Paging Alerts: http://groups.google.com/group/middlesex-fire
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2018, 7:50 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,663
Default

And Mobile Business Communications...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2018, 7:51 AM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,804
Default

If you met them at the Long Beach Grand Prix I did that for about 5yrs in the 80s handing out hundreds of radios and trying to keep them all working.



Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway_navigator View Post
I first met Jerry and Brent at an Indy car race in the mid 80s. I worked for them twice over he last 15 years.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2018, 9:49 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,058
Default

As a current Bearcom employee who came to work for them through an acquirement, I can say it is not a place for the technically skilled. Their structure is entirely numbers driven. If something doesn't make at least 35% margins, they don't do it. What this equates to, a lot of quick sales, half-assed installations and high repair bills. Part of this is due to a complete and utter lack of pre-sales engineering (Bearcom didn't acquire their first PE until they acquired Staley the other year).

Many of the setups Bearcom likes to sell are multi-channel systems on co-located masts using the absolute bear minimums for equipment. For example, a lot of SLR57000s get installed in conventional and/or Capacity Plus arrangements with nothing more than a mobile duplexer and antenna with 3 ft of vertical separation. Another special something that is often seen at Amazon DCs…6 to 10 non-pens in a circle for a Capacity Plus setup on the roof…you guessed it, using mobile duplexers, Laird FG4500s and LMR400.

Field service is a next to non-existent term. Many Bearcom technicians don't have the proper training or equipment to be working the stuff they work on. Their acquisitions have more digital capable test equipment than corporate does and there is next to no diagnostics. If a unit doesn't make power in the field, it is pulled to be sent to repair's (which is a flat rate structure and actually costs the customer more than just shipping a unit to depot). It's just a general lack of detail in their commercial LMR sales/deployments that worry me now that corporate is trying to get heavy into the MR game. This has been problematic for me because of the lines that were drawn in central Texas (shops with overlapping coverage and not pooling resources to send the most efficient service representative).

Advice to any customer who's vendor of choice was acquired by Bearcom, make sure you hold Bearcom to the same quality standards as the company that acquired them. They may say "Always On" but in my experience, they can't yet deliver that motto and until they actually figure out how to appropriately manage their service regions and properly employ pre-sales practices, the company is not going to be doing much in terms of moving forward, especially at this time since they can't tell if they want to be in the IoT industry, the two-way industry, the security camera industry, or what.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2018, 10:01 AM
mtindor's Avatar
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
Posts: 6,854
Default

Because I'm clueless, but interested, I'll ask:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
Part of this is due to a complete and utter lack of pre-sales engineering (Bearcom didn't acquire their first PE until they acquired Staley the other year).
What is PE ?

Quote:
Another special something that is often seen at Amazon DCs…6 to 10 non-pens in a circle for a Capacity Plus setup on the roof…you guessed it, using mobile duplexers, Laird FG4500s and LMR400.
What are non-pens ?

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Because I'm clueless, but interested, I'll ask:



What is PE ?


What are non-pens ?

Mike
A PE is a Professional Engineer, someone licensed by the state they are operating in as an engineer.

Non-pens are non-penetrating masts. Essentially held down by cinder blocks. While acceptable, it's a bit of a joke to see it done that way when you have multiples on the same roof for the same radio system.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2018, 10:14 AM
krokus's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 3,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Because I'm clueless, but interested, I'll ask:

What is PE ?
Professional Engineer

That is a certification for engineers, to demonstrate that they are competent in their field.

Sent using Tapatalk
__________________
Generic radio geek, in southeast Michigan.
PSR-500, TM-742, TM-V71,TH-78, HTX-420, IC-2AT, IC-2E (clone), Pro-39, BC-235XLT, TK-290, XTS-5000
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2018, 11:17 AM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,804
Default

Fortunately I worked with Bearcom before and a little during the time they were growing and expanding. Bearcom started as a radio rental outfit and a few big contracts like the Long Beach Grand Prix got them over the hump and recognized.

Then Jerry Denham came along with some marketing smarts and pointed the company in new directions and eventually bought out the founder, Mr. Bear. Not sure if the other current partner was part of that acquisition but Jerry and company have made Bearcom huge and a profit making machine.

When Bearcom was expanding and had a number of locations I knew a few of the techs and they were fully capable of most anything, but I have no knowledge of the current pool of techs or their abilities. I'm actually visiting Dallas, TX this week and have been meaning to give Jerry a call and see how business is doing, but that will have to wait till my next trip to Dallas. Its been quite a few years since I've chatted with Jerry.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
As a current Bearcom employee who came to work for them through an acquirement, I can say it is not a place for the technically skilled. Their structure is entirely numbers driven. If something doesn't make at least 35% margins, they don't do it. What this equates to, a lot of quick sales, half-assed installations and high repair bills. Part of this is due to a complete and utter lack of pre-sales engineering (Bearcom didn't acquire their first PE until they acquired Staley the other year).

Many of the setups Bearcom likes to sell are multi-channel systems on co-located masts using the absolute bear minimums for equipment. For example, a lot of SLR57000s get installed in conventional and/or Capacity Plus arrangements with nothing more than a mobile duplexer and antenna with 3 ft of vertical separation. Another special something that is often seen at Amazon DCs…6 to 10 non-pens in a circle for a Capacity Plus setup on the roof…you guessed it, using mobile duplexers, Laird FG4500s and LMR400.

Field service is a next to non-existent term. Many Bearcom technicians don't have the proper training or equipment to be working the stuff they work on. Their acquisitions have more digital capable test equipment than corporate does and there is next to no diagnostics. If a unit doesn't make power in the field, it is pulled to be sent to repair's (which is a flat rate structure and actually costs the customer more than just shipping a unit to depot). It's just a general lack of detail in their commercial LMR sales/deployments that worry me now that corporate is trying to get heavy into the MR game. This has been problematic for me because of the lines that were drawn in central Texas (shops with overlapping coverage and not pooling resources to send the most efficient service representative).

Advice to any customer who's vendor of choice was acquired by Bearcom, make sure you hold Bearcom to the same quality standards as the company that acquired them. They may say "Always On" but in my experience, they can't yet deliver that motto and until they actually figure out how to appropriately manage their service regions and properly employ pre-sales practices, the company is not going to be doing much in terms of moving forward, especially at this time since they can't tell if they want to be in the IoT industry, the two-way industry, the security camera industry, or what.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2018, 12:02 PM
mtindor's Avatar
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
Posts: 6,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
A PE is a Professional Engineer, someone licensed by the state they are operating in as an engineer.

Non-pens are non-penetrating masts. Essentially held down by cinder blocks. While acceptable, it's a bit of a joke to see it done that way when you have multiples on the same roof for the same radio system.
Thank you.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2018, 1:46 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,663
Default

A Bearcom acquisition means long term employees losing their jobs. I view the company as a cancer. And yes, the non-pens are a sad joke.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2018, 9:43 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 927
Default

Bearcom is the Walmart of radio systems and buildouts. Cheap prices, crap end product.

Stick to the brick and mortar (local) radio shop.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2018, 4:17 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,663
Default

Spectrum and Mobile Business were solid shops. The buyouts are definitely a loss for their current and future clients.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2018, 5:33 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,058
Default

I would like to apologize to those people on this message board for my earlier comments on BearCom. I was not in a right state of mind on Saturday when I posted. It was a bit of a rough time at the outset when my former company was first acquired, but in retrospect, the company really is a solid company and has been good to me. They care about their employees and their customers and are the leader in their space. We all have differing opinions on designs and the technology we deploy, and I am no different, but I have to say that BearCom does consistently deliver for its customers. I really like what I am doing and really think BearCom’s management is taking the company in the right direction. It’s a great place to work at this time in this industry. Again, apologies to those I may have offended.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2018, 11:04 PM
62Truck's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Uranus
Posts: 1,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
I would like to apologize to those people on this message board for my earlier comments on BearCom. I was not in a right state of mind on Saturday when I posted. It was a bit of a rough time at the outset when my former company was first acquired, but in retrospect, the company really is a solid company and has been good to me. They care about their employees and their customers and are the leader in their space. We all have differing opinions on designs and the technology we deploy, and I am no different, but I have to say that BearCom does consistently deliver for its customers. I really like what I am doing and really think BearCom’s management is taking the company in the right direction. It’s a great place to work at this time in this industry. Again, apologies to those I may have offended.
Nice attempt at damage control...get jammed up at work, huh?
__________________
Lions, Tigers, Bears....
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2018, 12:07 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: pittsboro in / mesa az
Posts: 430
Default

I had a great time working there and only left when a PE in Dallas promised me a 6 figure income and more challenges. If I had know the 6 figures included the decimal point I would have declined his offer.
__________________
jay thompson / CETsr, GROL
COML, COMT trainee
KC9VTT / COML DMAT CA-4
you must be really bored to be reading this far down
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions