Anti-virus any good ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Looking for a new anti-virus software to buy for all my PCs for the next 3 year protection.

What do you think is the best? And please, Don't bother saying Norton. lol

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Norton Sucks

I too avoid Norton like the plauge. I also have used AVG Free for several years (I think since 6.0) and have never had a virus whille it was running. And I often dabble in some dangerous internet areas. It catches them every time. The newest version has added spyware protection and other nice features too. It doesn't try to take over your whole puter like Norton does and it is not a resource hog either.

racen7

I use AVG I get it a year at a time about $65.00 it really works well.
Racen7

Thayne

I agree with the AVG.
Norton & McAfee have turned into bloated monsters. Been there done that.
Also programs like Zone alarm are good because I like to know when my computer suddenly wants to call home---

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
This topic spawns in every forum on the Internet and never gets anywhere.

Comparatives Read the reports!

Virus Bulletin : News - AV-Test release latest results

SANS Institute - SANS Top-20 2007 Security Risks (2007 Annual Update)

Results and comments - matousec.com

Which anti virus software do you think I use?

Avira has a slow connection on updating sometimes though, but its engine can detect crap it doesn't have a sig. for. Avast is pretty good, although the web shield will slow the connection. Go to speedtest.net and compare with it on and off.

I mentioned this before, but if you want to increase protection check out OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet and NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction No script is cumbersome, but once you figure it all out it will prevent a lot of maleware.

In fact, Avira never alerts me much at all.I hardly ever run across a site that contains maleware. The one thing that is considerable threat are rootkits. I can off load a dozen links to nerdware apps to scan for such things if you want.

Use a virtual machine or Linux.

Last edited:

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
Norton has been making a come back. So I've read.

I am currently using Norton 2009 Internet security and it works great for me on an XP OS. The older version were known for being resource hogs and it appears the new version works fine. Some people have had issues with it, but everyone has special configurations and one of the major issues appears to be having additional protection software already installed on the computer before installing Norton can create conflicts.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"No script is cumbersome, but once you figure it all out it will prevent a lot of maleware."
Yeah, but what about femaleware?

ESSET, Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes here, so far so good.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned

AVK by G-Data looks pretty good considering it's currently ranked first from that site and always shows up second in AVcomparatives I linked to. I've noticed this trend for about a year now. The only thing I notice with the comparisons in the link you post is that the results vary greatly at different periods with different anti virus programs. So one month you have a terrific scanner and the next you don't. :lol: That's why I rely on the best overall engine. Have to read about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.