All private WIFI logged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
Let them log away! If you have your wifi security set up properly then you have nothing to worry about. :wink:

Now, if your wifi network is unsecured (or poorly encrypted with WEP) then you only have yourself to blame.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Let them log away! If you have your wifi security set up properly then you have nothing to worry about. :wink:

Now, if your wifi network is unsecured (or poorly encrypted with WEP) then you only have yourself to blame.

Well put, Google, While doing photography for street view where i live, was also logging locations of unencrypted Wi-Fi, and got a whole lot more data then they were supposed to, all the more reason to secure ones home network, besides, i donot like to share with people i donot know!! I have had my home network AES secured since day one. I pay way too much for my internet service and i will be damned if im gonna let anyone else use it with out my consent!!!

kilowa22

Many wireless routers offer the ability to not broadcast your SSID which will slowdown drive-by detection.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
Many wireless routers offer the ability to not broadcast your SSID which will slowdown drive-by detection.

True but that will only work up to a point, such as preventing a neighbor from seeing your network. A determined hacker, wardriver or for that matter anyone that really wants to find or use your wifi, will use a packet sniffer to capture the SSID.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber

+1.

Also, my network is encrypted, hidden SSID, and even after all that, if your hardware's MAC address isn't on the approved list, the network would be useless to you anyways.

JoeyC

That map is worthless. Its a generalization of where wifi signals potentially exist. I looked in my heavily populated area, and the only wifi signals are generated from the major roads. Not a one in a residential area. Yeah right...

Edit: After further review of the site, I see that there are network names as you zoom in. But my network, and friends that I've known had them for years also do not exist on the map. So I still don't see what the problem is.

Last edited:

CapStar362

doesnt show my network? how is this a threat?

i zoomed down right on top of my house, and nothing came up. i know of 9 networks in my 1/2 mile range already! not a single one is showing on that map

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
No currently available WiFi technology is 100% secure. Some are harder to crack than others, but all can be penetrated.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Not mine either. Channel 13. :twisted:

I use this to generate a password using AES. Hidinng SSID for me was a pain. For me I had to connect to the router without SSID hidden first, then have the WIFI connection software remember the profile. After that I could hide SSID and then make subsequent connections. The encryption scheme was a pain, too until I chose mixed mode in the router. But sense this sucker is on a channel that most people can't use, what am I worried about? :lol:

Haxxing the WIFI card to prevent haxxing.

Last edited:

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
kilowa22 said:
Yes but doesnt this make it hard FOR EVEN YOU to connect?

This is just (IMO) a way for hackers to know where a connection is so they can drive over and try to get on!! (Not good)

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Uhhh, no. If they want to get in your system, that website isn't going to be the reason.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
THIS CRAP IS ONE REASON ITS GOOD TURNING YOUR SIGNAL OFF WHEN NOT USING IT!

That's a little inconvenient to say the least...

Not so much, no. With some good firmware like Tomato, you can setup rules that automatically enable/disable wireless access based on time of day and/or day of week. I have my home system setup to kill the wireless radio during the hours I never use it. I can easily override that by pressing the button on the front of the router. Not only does it keep the connection completely secure (can't connect to what's not broadcasting), but the router uses less power (CPU and electrical), and it arguably extends the life of the radio/router if it's off 50% of the time.

Not mine either. Channel 13. :twisted:

I use this to generate a password using AES. Hidinng SSID for me was a pain. For me I had to connect to the router without SSID hidden first, then have the WIFI connection software remember the profile. After that I could hide SSID and then make subsequent connections. The encryption scheme was a pain, too until I chose mixed mode in the router. But sense this sucker is on a channel that most people can't use, what am I worried about? :lol:

Haxxing the WIFI card to prevent haxxing.

Wow, you installed Tomato or DD-WRT and changed the country to Japan, then changed it to Ch 13...what a crazy haxxor you are!!!1!!! Do you truly believe that they don't scan every single WiFi frequency when they look for these routers/AP's, even the "secret" ones that "most people can't use"? :roll:

Encryption scheme was a pain? How so? Get the router setup for WPA2/AES, generate a completely random 63 character string for the key, make the SSID something cryptic, disable the broadcasting of the SSID, enable wireless filtering by MAC address...and you have about the best security you're going to hope for from a consumer grade device.

Yes but doesnt this make it hard FOR EVEN YOU to connect

One would hope you'd remember your own SSID. :twisted:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I can easily override that by pressing the button on the front of the router.

I'm looking for "the button" on the front of my router, and/or where to set the tomato, and coming up empty.

ts548

Get the router setup for WPA2/AES, generate a completely random 63 character string for the key, make the SSID something cryptic, disable the broadcasting of the SSID, enable wireless filtering by MAC address...and you have about the best security you're going to hope for from a consumer grade device.

This is about as good as your going to get from a consumer grade device as stated above. Unless you want spend the money on enterprise wireless security setups and learn Cisco/Juniper OS and Active Directory you will never really be 100% secure.

poltergeisty

Banned
Wow, you installed Tomato or DD-WRT and changed the country to Japan, then changed it to Ch 13...what a crazy haxxor you are!!!1!!! Do you truly believe that they don't scan every single WiFi frequency when they look for these routers/AP's, even the "secret" ones that "most people can't use"? :roll:

Encryption scheme was a pain? How so? Get the router setup for WPA2/AES, generate a completely random 63 character string for the key, make the SSID something cryptic, disable the broadcasting of the SSID, enable wireless filtering by MAC address...and you have about the best security you're going to hope for from a consumer grade device.

A) If the firmware of said haxxer's WIFI card doesn't allow for those "secret channels", than you won't scan it.

B) I pointed out the PITA it was for me to use AES2 for my setup just so others will know what to do if they encounter the save issue. For me I had to chose mixed mode AES/WPA2 for it to work. Yes, I have DD-WRT. Like I pointed out with SSID, I had to store the WIFI profile with the connection software before I could hide the SSID in the router.

MAC address filtering was never meant to be a security feature, but rather a hardware filter aid., although I do use it.

poltergeisty

Banned
Yes but doesnt this make it hard FOR EVEN YOU to connect?

I suppose it depends on your hardware. Like I pointed out, for me I had to store the WIFI profile first before hiding SSID. That way auto connection worked.

I suspect hiding the BSSID could be a problem if a printer or other piece of hardware can't store WIFI profiles. Further more, the encryption used. Mixed mode, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.