DSL & WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele_lpd

I recently switched from a cable internet service to a DSL service. I have a Netgear WGR614 v6 wireless router. When I had the internet from the cable company I had a short network cable running from the modem to the internet jack on the router. I also had a short cable from LAN 1 to the ethernet jack on my desktop. I set up the router and everything worked great.

When I installed my DSL modem I was unable to get the internet to work at all when I plugged the network cable into the internet jack on the router. I called the company (Fairpoint) and they quickly told me that they could not help because it was a problem with my router and not their modem.

I found that if I plugged the cable from the modem into one of the 4 LAN ports and my desktop into one of the remaining ports it worked fine. The only downside to doing that is I don't have wireless now.

Having a brainstorm, Googleing, and enjoying several of my favorite adult beverages (because by now I'm so frustrated I might as well start drinking) I have figured out a work around... I'm not sure why I have to do it this way but it works...

I plugged the network cable from the modem into LAN 2. My desktop is plugged into LAN 3. I have a short patch cord that I ran from LAN 1 to the internet jack on the router. Now my WiFi works!

The down side to that is now I'm down to one free LAN port on my router. I don't ever see that being an issue though.

Do my ramblings make sense? And does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thayne

It kinda sounds like your DSL modem may also be a router and you probably should disable one of the routers; but it is late & maybe I didn't understand the setup too well--

K

kb0nly

The DSL modem needs to be set as a gateway instead of a router. Pretty common problem with DSL, i run into that with new installs all the time.

CapStar362

the DSL Modem isnt even a router first of all. its just a ADSL2+ MODEM. that model does not have any routing capabilities at all. he needs to activate BRIDGING MODE, not anything else.

you will need to call your ISP and tell them that you have a router and you need to set the modem to bridging mode. after your ISP walks you through the menus, goto your router, set the Connection Type to PPPoE, enter the credentials of the account into the ROUTER connection page, and tell it to login through the router and passthrough the modem. then connect the DSL modem to the WAN "Internet" RJ45 port. then rewire any PC's that were wired back into the LAN ports. and configure your wireless as needed.

if you have any problems come back and ill help as best i can from there.

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
Plug your PC direct into the modem.....see what you get for an IP. My guess is a 192.168.1.X Then check what you get as an IP from your router. I bet you are getting the same thing. You have a double NAT situation going on (2 routers). To get around this change the IP on the LAN side of your router to 192.168.2.1 I see this trouble all the time on DSL installs. My company just changed all of our modems to 192.168.2.1 to avoid having to mess with the default IP scheme on customer routers.

Kevin

SCPD

QRT
I can only think of one thing... have you power cycled the router/firewall? If you changed service its IP maybe be set to the old setup, and it is unable to grab a new ip from the new setup. Power cycling that should take care of it.

I'd do it in this order though.

Power off router/firewall
Power off DSL modem - let sit 10-20 seconds
Power on DSL modem
Power on Router/Firewall

If it is an IP scheme sort of problem, this should resolve it. If not, then it is likely an issue with the router serving as a router and needs to be set to function as a gateway.

CapStar362

what if he hasnt changed over his Router settings from Cable DHCP to DSL PPPoE?

remember people, cable modems ( most of them ) use DHCP Addressing within the ISP System. DSL modems use PPPoE Login and then is assigned an address after authenticating.

these two are NOT interchangeable..... you cannot use PPPoE on cable and you cannot ( unless you have a DSL/Router Combo Unit in which the DSL Modem/Router are combined and do the functions for you) use DHCP Addressing when PPPoE is required.

Last edited:

mpddigital

Ditto on PPOE setup. You will probably need to give your router the info such as Password and login to pass to the phone company for an IP address. The protocol used to connect between the cable company and DSL is different and your router will work with either but needs to have the setting changed in your admin software (Firmware) for your router.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.