Home Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sq3hopeFD

I'm looking to buy a desktop to serve as a home server that I would be able to access via Splashtop or TeamViewer.

I want to be able to stream some audio from a couple scanners and acces an external hard drive.

The question is OS should try for Win7 or Xp. How much ram at least?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bgav

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to buy a desktop to serve as a home server that I would be able to access via Splashtop or TeamViewer.

I want to be able to stream some audio from a couple scanners and acces an external hard drive.

I bought a model similar to this for the same purpose. It's running XP SP3 and ProScan to stream a BC780XLT, BC796D, and run PlanePlotter and VirtualRadar Server. I have it set up headless (no monitor, keyboard, or mouse) and control it using 2X for iOS and LogMeIn. 2GB of RAM, it runs fine. Cheap to upgrade the RAM if you're not happy with the performance.I did get a great deal on a 320gb SSD to upgrade the HDD and keep it quieter and cooler as well as improving disk read/write performance.

y7yzajyr.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sq3hopeFD

Thanks fo input bgav. That's probably what I'll end up doing.

CapStar362

looks like a good suggestion bgav. i agree with it, for simple remoting and audio streams... you dont need much, just a good stable bandwidth

n5ims

Personally, I'd avoid XP at this point since Microsoft has announced the end of support for XP as of April 8, 2014 so there will be no patches made for XP after that date. If a new security issue is detected after that date XP will not be updated to correct the cause while newer versions will. Please note that you must be using XP SP3 (although the 64 bit version of SP2 is still supported since they didn't release SP3 in a 64 bit version) to receive updates until April. Since XP has been on extended support for the last several years, there is no expectation that the 2014 date will be extended.

Support ends in 2014 for Windows XP and Office 2003!

After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.

sq3hopeFD

The system's I'vee been browsing on NewEgg all come with Windows 7, so no issue there.

Last edited:

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I'd avoid XP at this point since Microsoft has announced the end of support for XP as of April 8, 2014 so there will be no patches made for XP after that date. If a new security issue is detected after that date XP will not be updated to correct the cause while newer versions will. Please note that you must be using XP SP3 (although the 64 bit version of SP2 is still supported since they didn't release SP3 in a 64 bit version) to receive updates until April. Since XP has been on extended support for the last several years, there is no expectation that the 2014 date will be extended.

Support ends in 2014 for Windows XP and Office 2003!

Not too concerned about running XP for how it's being used. Not using it for browsing the interwebs, but as it's been pointed out the new refurbs are shipping with OEM Win 7 installs.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I have a small computer running windows home server 2011 and love it. I also have a esata raid array for backups. You can use a browser to access or upload files as well as remote desktop via internet explorer (although I use 2x). That is if your looking to do a tad bit more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

lgentle

I'm also running a Windows Home Server 2011 setup on an OOOLLLLDDDD AMD Athlon XP CPU. Used as my FTP server and backup storage for my everyday PC's docs, e-mail, etc. In the years I've had it running, I've only had to so far replace the rear case fan.

CapStar362

i guess i should have elaborated..... i know what GTA means, i meant that in the expression as hosting a GTA server on something that small?

Status
Not open for further replies.