RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Computer

Computer Why pay for computer support when you can find it here

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2014, 5:46 PM
N9JIG's Avatar
Master of my domain
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 2,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapStar362 View Post
ummm yeah, how many times have i said that already? i see 2 so far? need another it looks like......



*roll eyes *

Yeah, but I say it with style!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 PM
CapStar362's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Conyers GA, USA!
Posts: 452
Default

mind telling me which company this is? why, would they disable the WiFi of both 2.4 and 5.0 ( not 5.8 BTW )GHz and not allow the user to control them?


never said comcast is the ONLY company.... just the most prominent one.

" Multimedia over Coax Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "

look at who is on the BoD - Comcast

look at also who is in this list, that is now Owned by Comcast or is either in acquisition by Comcast!!

The Whole List:

Promoters (Board of Directors): Arris, Broadcom, Cisco, Comcast, Cox Communications, DirecTV, Echostar, Entropic Communications, Intel, Verizon.

Contributors: Alcatel-Lucent, ComplexIQ, MStar Semiconductor, Pace, STMicroelectronics, Technicolor, Time Warner Cable, ViXS Systems.

Associates: Actiontec, ADB, CableLabs, Cal Comp, Cogeco, D-Link, Hitron Technologies, Holland Electronics, Huawei, Humax, JDSU, Jebsee, LG, Macom, Marvell, MaxLinear, MultiChoice, NDS, Netgear, NXP, PPC, PDI Communications, Prime, Sagemcom, Samsung, SMC Networks, Spirent, TiVo, Ubee Interactive, Unihan, WITS Corporation, WNC, Zinwell, ZTE, ZyXEL.




i see 2 names, now associated as Comcast Owned in that list. the most obvious... TWC




your last comment: I also didn't want to be a "host" site for their public network without some kind of compensation (other than being ripped for cable a little less).


sorry doesnt work that way, it doesnt allow compensation for "Public" Advertising through secondary IP's not tying to your private account. they are not using YOUR privately owned bandwidth.... they are not even attached to your privately owned IP. they are simply broadcasting service in that area by means of giving a email to spam the guest with, you have a email and want to try their service, good, you get 24 hours to use it, see how you like, then its cut off. if you want more, you pay THEM as a ISP more......
__________________
Whats a Signature?!?!

Whats a Profile?!?!

HELP ME!! I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT THOSE ARE!!!

Semper Fi my Marine Corps Brothers!

OOOOORAH!!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the 'patch
Posts: 2,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapStar362 View Post

sorry doesnt work that way, it doesnt allow compensation for "Public" Advertising through secondary IP's not tying to your private account. they are not using YOUR privately owned bandwidth.... they are not even attached to your privately owned IP. they are simply broadcasting service in that area by means of giving a email to spam the guest with, you have a email and want to try their service, good, you get 24 hours to use it, see how you like, then its cut off. if you want more, you pay THEM as a ISP more......

Well then they can PAY for the power the device uses to provide that "public" service... I would never allow a company to use my modem to provide service to people. Why the hell would I want a company to allow others, others that I do not know, or want using my WI-FI(even if they are not using 'my' bandwidth) it is not like they are compensating me for the energy I'm paying for to let strangers use their service.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Interoperatablity is not a technology it is an attitude!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2014, 3:31 AM
CapStar362's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Conyers GA, USA!
Posts: 452
Default

i could theoretically see the "power" part.

the wifi though, again, its not even a part of your wifi even.

for the Comcast Xfinity Gateway's it works like this:

for most of these gateway's you will see 2 or 3 discreet SSID's one is going to be the public MoCA based 2.4 GHz Wifi-N. fixed to "xfinitywifi" and CANNOT be user edited.

then come your two WiFi's, in both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands, user controlled, and user maintained.

notice there are 2 discreet WiFi SSID's per band for certain models when the 5.0 GHz is turned on for public and private.

one of my customers has a business class gateway, there are 2x 2.4GHz SSID's being broadcasted and 2x 5.0 GHz SSID's being broadcasted from HER business gateway. one of those 2.4 and 5.0 are her PRIVATE SSID's and 2 of those are Comcast's "Ad for Public" SSID's both respectively titled "xfinitywifi" but add a 5 for the 5.0 GHz band.



her WiFi, has a private name and WPA2 AES Enabled for both 24. and 5.0 GHz Bands.

the name of the public Wifi nets? xfinity & xfinity5 first being the 2.4 and second being the 5.0 band. they are both separated from eachother with no possible way to connect to eachother by means of V-LAN IP's. the firmware specifically prevents any cross talk from private to public and vise versa.

when you connect to the xifnity, want to take a stab at what your gateway IP is going to be? it wont even resolve a Comcast IP, but a GOOGLE AD Server IP!! <-- interesting ?

your Private network though... WILL resolve to the IP provided by Comcast that is local to your area.


your comment:

"Why the hell would I want a company to allow others, others that I do not know, or want using my WI-FI(even if they are not using 'my' bandwidth) "

does not apply, they are not even connecting to "YOUR" WiFi either.


honestly, you don't even own the device. you rent it, thus whatever TOS/EULA comes with it, INCLUDING providing that public WiFi, you have no choice about it. if you dont want it, get your own devices that comply with their approved list of network gear.

go ahead, argue that with them, see how fast they cut ALL your service off without warning, and flag your account and address for "Violation and Non-Compliance of written legal TOS" once you get that "flag" on your name, social, current address...whatever they choose to mark it on, your done you will NEVER get service from them again. they stick a large full spectrum scrambler on your drop line at the street ( or CO Box for condo/apartment ) take it off, let them find out.... you probably know what comes next, those metal things they call handcuffs.
__________________
Whats a Signature?!?!

Whats a Profile?!?!

HELP ME!! I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT THOSE ARE!!!

Semper Fi my Marine Corps Brothers!

OOOOORAH!!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2014, 8:30 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the 'patch
Posts: 2,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapStar362 View Post
i could theoretically see the "power" part.

the wifi though, again, its not even a part of your wifi even.

for the Comcast Xfinity Gateway's it works like this:

for most of these gateway's you will see 2 or 3 discreet SSID's one is going to be the public MoCA based 2.4 GHz Wifi-N. fixed to "xfinitywifi" and CANNOT be user edited.

then come your two WiFi's, in both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands, user controlled, and user maintained.

notice there are 2 discreet WiFi SSID's per band for certain models when the 5.0 GHz is turned on for public and private.

one of my customers has a business class gateway, there are 2x 2.4GHz SSID's being broadcasted and 2x 5.0 GHz SSID's being broadcasted from HER business gateway. one of those 2.4 and 5.0 are her PRIVATE SSID's and 2 of those are Comcast's "Ad for Public" SSID's both respectively titled "xfinitywifi" but add a 5 for the 5.0 GHz band.



her WiFi, has a private name and WPA2 AES Enabled for both 24. and 5.0 GHz Bands.

the name of the public Wifi nets? xfinity & xfinity5 first being the 2.4 and second being the 5.0 band. they are both separated from eachother with no possible way to connect to eachother by means of V-LAN IP's. the firmware specifically prevents any cross talk from private to public and vise versa.

when you connect to the xifnity, want to take a stab at what your gateway IP is going to be? it wont even resolve a Comcast IP, but a GOOGLE AD Server IP!! <-- interesting ?

your Private network though... WILL resolve to the IP provided by Comcast that is local to your area.


your comment:

"Why the hell would I want a company to allow others, others that I do not know, or want using my WI-FI(even if they are not using 'my' bandwidth) "

does not apply, they are not even connecting to "YOUR" WiFi either.


honestly, you don't even own the device. you rent it, thus whatever TOS/EULA comes with it, INCLUDING providing that public WiFi, you have no choice about it. if you dont want it, get your own devices that comply with their approved list of network gear.

go ahead, argue that with them, see how fast they cut ALL your service off without warning, and flag your account and address for "Violation and Non-Compliance of written legal TOS" once you get that "flag" on your name, social, current address...whatever they choose to mark it on, your done you will NEVER get service from them again. they stick a large full spectrum scrambler on your drop line at the street ( or CO Box for condo/apartment ) take it off, let them find out.... you probably know what comes next, those metal things they call handcuffs.

Regardless, they are allowing the public to use the AP, that I would be providing power to... Yea, would never happen, would deal with SAT service, or WISP before I would allow them to let anyone use the AP I provide power to.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Interoperatablity is not a technology it is an attitude!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 PM
lgentle's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lutherville, Maryland
Posts: 171
Default

I'd love to know how much money this device costs you a month in electricity.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the 'patch
Posts: 2,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgentle View Post
I'd love to know how much money this device costs you a month in electricity.

The actual cost is not relevant, it is the principle of the whole idea of paying the company to have a public AP in your house...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Interoperatablity is not a technology it is an attitude!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2014, 6:42 PM
lgentle's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lutherville, Maryland
Posts: 171
Default

Then, like so many others have stated in this post......BUY YOUR OWN STUFF & STOP COMPLAINING.

This thread should be closed.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2014, 9:12 PM
CapStar362's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Conyers GA, USA!
Posts: 452
Default

agreed. im done arguing this... i laid it out in plain as i could english....
__________________
Whats a Signature?!?!

Whats a Profile?!?!

HELP ME!! I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT THOSE ARE!!!

Semper Fi my Marine Corps Brothers!

OOOOORAH!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
        
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2014, 9:11 AM
Dude111's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG
There is a second one that is open to the public (or at least other Comcast subscribers) that supposedly does not affect your bandwidth or usage and does not allow access to your network. AFAIK there is no way for one to adjust this, restrict it or turn it off. I have read elsewhere that you could call Comcast support and they can turn it off.
That would suck!!!!

Time to ppl to get THIER OWN STUFF!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions