Startech 1 port ftdi usb to rs232 serial null modem adapter cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

se

Hi All.

Ive made postings in the Uniden forums recently and now it seems Im not getting many replies back. But I bought the accessory mentioned in the title of this message so that I can use third party software with my BCD536hp such as the ARC536PRO full version. I want to be able to use the Virtual Control of the software. I think I have all required drivers and software installed in my 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium desktop computer. But I am still not able to use it...Is there a specific location that the UNIDEN serial drivers are supposed to go? Are there settings in the ARC software I need to adjust?

Sheldon.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Hi All.

Ive made postings in the Uniden forums recently and now it seems Im not getting many replies back. But I bought the accessory mentioned in the title of this message so that I can use third party software with my BCD536hp such as the ARC536PRO full version. I want to be able to use the Virtual Control of the software. I think I have all required drivers and software installed in my 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium desktop computer. But I am still not able to use it...Is there a specific location that the UNIDEN serial drivers are supposed to go? Are there settings in the ARC software I need to adjust?

Sheldon.

Doesn't a "NULL Modem Cable" transpose the TX and RX lines, amongst other things. I am sure you need a "straight through" cable.

--
Comint

se

Hello lost_in_maine.

Im using Windows 7 Home premium on the computer the BCD536hp is connected to. I even installed an update this morning for this cable from Windows Update. And the ARC virtual control still did not come alive.

Sheldon.

lost_in_maine

Hello lost_in_maine.

Im using Windows 7 Home premium on the computer the BCD536hp is connected to. I even installed an update this morning for this cable from Windows Update. And the ARC virtual control still did not come alive.

Sheldon.
have you looked in Device Manager-Ports to see what Comm Port Windows has set it as, you have to let Arc Virtual Control know that as well....Once you find it in "Device Manger"
Go to Port Settings, and set the speed to 115200 like in my photo
(Your Comm port # will be different, Than Mine)
Then you have another step to do on the 536 itself...
Not to overwhelm you I will wait until you get this far...

Attachments

• port settings.jpg
    port settings.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

lost_in_maine

in device manager click on ports, (Comm & LPT click on the little > to the left and you should see the assigned ports, then when you see it listed, right-click and select properties...then the "port settings" tab

lost_in_maine

Once you have this done you will need to set it up in the radio
Hit the Menu button, select "set you location"
"Setup GPS" Hit enter (I know it's in a strange place)
Select "Set Serial Port" change that to match what you had setup through device manager 115200
Exit out of the menus
At this point I would reboot,
Then go into ARC536 and tell it what comm port to use...
let us know if you get stuck....

se

AWESOME!

I DID IT! I can now use the virtual control in my ARC software FINALLY! But when I have the virtual control running and the scanner is ID scanning and a transmission happens, the scanner starts scanning within a second or so during the transmission, I guess I need to adjust the delay time...Do I use the keyboard to enter in my postal code for when I want to scan by that method?

Sheldon.

se

HI.

Hi.

THANKS to all the people who helped me to configure things so that I can use ARC536pro WITH MY bcd536hp. I need to read more on gowto use more of the featires now.

Sheldon.

lost_in_maine

All of this is easier achieved using Sentinel...Go to Edit menu, edit profile, location settings...
Can't help you with Arc536, as I use Proscan, and my ARC demo long expired...

lost_in_maine

Hi.

Ok I followed your instructions in Sentinel. Now howdo I let the scanner know my zip code?

Sheldon.

In Sentinel, Click on the "Scanner" Menu...Write to scanner...
To do all these basic steps, you are better off using Sentinel...
You would need to use it for Firmware Updates, as well
Here is a link to an easier to read Sentinel Manual.....http://marksscanners.com/536/X36 HP Sentinel.shtml
A lot of your questions, the answers may also found by search right here in the forum...
And for you to get a better response, You would be better to start a new thread in the Uniden Forum, as the subject of this post is still about the Serial Cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.