Tor browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Does anyone use the Tor browser? If so, what do you think of it? Pros and cons? Given how it bounces communications over distributed relays, is it slower than, say, Firefox? Any thoughts?

questnz

Yes I do, just download latest install and try it. https://www.torproject.org/ Tor using its own browser based on Firefox with some security and anonymity add ons. Yes it is a bit slower but definitely useable. Some depends on your PC speed and home Internet connection speed. Detailed specification is available on internet and Tor web site. Primary Tor will mask your home IP address. Other option is to use Tor Tails https://tails.boum.org/ similar function but you can install on USB or CD. It is Linux based and self boot-able. I am using Tails primary when travel and use someone else network and internet connection. Tails contain all you need to communicate securely over internet, browser, mail clients, word processor etc all include on install .ISO file. You need also download and install Universal USB installer Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux to create boot-able USB, (4 GB recommended)

Have fun
Chris

Last edited:

questnz

Sorry forgot to add some other ways to protect your privacy on Internet. For basic protection you could use one of the secure search engines eg. duckduckgo, ixquick or startpage. Another very secure option is to use VPN connection, some of them paid some free SoftEther VPN Project - SoftEther VPN Project. Also have some read here 10 Best VPN Service Providers - Updated February 2015 — Security Gladiators or Anonymous Browsing: Tor vs VPNs vs Web Proxies vs Anonymous Remailers — Security Gladiators

ps Personally I use SoftEther VPN a lot

Chris

questnz

Glenn, No problem, glad to be in any help. Feel free to email me PM for more info if required.

Chris

CapStar362

tor is a good project, and it DOES affect latency while minor, some applications will see a much larger effect, especially online games.

because of the way it bounces your signal around, each additional hop adds latency to the connection from point a to b.

moonbounce

I had a paid Tor account for a year, I used it for about three months before I deleted it and went back to being Tor free. The reason I cancelled my account was because they treated me like they would treat someone who was using the free version. Every time I logged into the internet I would end up with the non paying version of Tor with the advertisement at the top. I would email them and they would tell me I had to log off my computer restart and sign back in! What a pain for a paid subscription

The good news was that when I paid for my subscription I paid for it using one of those Mastercard prepaid cards. When my Tor account expired, I got an email from Tor saying my credit card defaulted and that they were unable to renew my subscription. So had I paid with a regular Mastercard they would have just deducted another years subscription whether I wanted it or not. Needless to say I live without Tor.

Status
Not open for further replies.