New malware program targets POS systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapStar362

correct me if im wrong, but coming from having a POS Certification with 7 and XP CE versions ( which are used in POS )...

the only time a POS machine even goes beyond a LAN is for credit card sales, everything else is guarded by LAN Side restrictions, like operator user names and passwords.

i see no viable method of a malware getting information from a POS machine and sending it out over WAN when its restricted by the POS Server, which all POS Clients are operated from, like thin client environments.

i wonder how they executed that. the POS Server controls all. the routing functions from the server specifically restrict LAN to WAN for any user/pass information even if elevated in privilege. and that is a built in function.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
correct me if im wrong, but coming from having a POS Certification with 7 and XP CE versions ( which are used in POS )...

the only time a POS machine even goes beyond a LAN is for credit card sales, everything else is guarded by LAN Side restrictions, like operator user names and passwords.

i see no viable method of a malware getting information from a POS machine and sending it out over WAN when its restricted by the POS Server, which all POS Clients are operated from, like thin client environments.

i wonder how they executed that. the POS Server controls all. the routing functions from the server specifically restrict LAN to WAN for any user/pass information even if elevated in privilege. and that is a built in function.

I was thinking the same.

Now of course if an dirty employee injected the malware, it's the only way I could see something like this working.

CapStar362

even at that, no Owner would give a employee his admin account credentials, or else suffer the darwin like fate for doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.