Windows XP font question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Gah, I have been working with Windows since Windows 95
However i guess I have forgotten what to do here so I am curious if the Windows community has an solution for this issue.

I have a panasonic toughbook cf29 running Windows XP Pro and certain websites text are not displaying properly.
here is an example:
"See file attached below"

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    7.7 KB · Views: 183

CapStar362

that means the font is corrupted or not available. website is using a non-standard font. browse the source code and locate it.

br0adband

It's typically caused by Unicode more often than not - not every web browser can handle the vast number of potential characters that Unicode is capable of supporting, and yes if the particular font isn't part of what the operating system has or the browser natively supports internally then what you end up with are those tiny little ideogram boxes with numbers that don't really mean much of anything (the number doesn't necessarily correspond to a specific Unicode character, I mean).

There's not much you can do about it other than to make sure your browser of choice is the latest version available, and then there's always the recommendation to move on from XP itself since it's simply so far behind the times now that it really should be dismissed as a viable option.

I say that knowing there are a lot of people in a lot of various situations that may simply not be able to upgrade out of hand for whatever reasons they have - some people just like XP, I get that, I do, but when you decide to stick with such an old operating system the simple fact is that you're stuck with the problems it has (that are more than likely resolved by newer versions of operating systems and even the browsers).

Hope this helps...

SCPD

QRT
It's typically caused by Unicode more often than not - not every web browser can handle the vast number of potential characters that Unicode is capable of supporting, and yes if the particular font isn't part of what the operating system has or the browser natively supports internally then what you end up with are those tiny little ideogram boxes with numbers that don't really mean much of anything (the number doesn't necessarily correspond to a specific Unicode character, I mean).

There's not much you can do about it other than to make sure your browser of choice is the latest version available, and then there's always the recommendation to move on from XP itself since it's simply so far behind the times now that it really should be dismissed as a viable option.

I say that knowing there are a lot of people in a lot of various situations that may simply not be able to upgrade out of hand for whatever reasons they have - some people just like XP, I get that, I do, but when you decide to stick with such an old operating system the simple fact is that you're stuck with the problems it has (that are more than likely resolved by newer versions of operating systems and even the browsers).

Hope this helps...

thanks yes I tried to decode the numbers and go no where lol. there simply supposed to be Star symbols. this laptop is a mark 1 CF29. Upgrading to another version of Windows is pointless. Maybe next will be a newer model like a CF30 with newer internals.
thanks for the help, I appreciate the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.