Antivirus/antispyware recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

I've been an AVG user since the Win98 days, when Norton changed its mind about free updates forever once you bought it. I used the free version for awhile and went to the paid version and have been very satisfied with its performance. So when I upgraded Windows I didn't even think about using their antivirus and kept with AVG. I always used Spybot S&D for that end of things and also have no complaints.

Today AVG said it needed to update, and maybe I didn't read things thoroughly enough before I clicked on OK, but I found myself with a corrupted install of AVG Zen and had to uninstall both. And since it's about time to pay for AVG again, and since I'm hearing that Windows Defender is actually pretty decent, should I just use that? I did enable and update it so I'm not flying completely blind. Or should I keep Spybot and reinstall AVG? I'm using Windows 7X64 and would appreciate any suggestions.:confused:

DJ11DLN

Thanks for the replies. I know this question was kind of in the Ford vs Chevy end of things because what works well for one doesn't necessarily for another. I appreciate the input just the same.

On closer inspection Defender seems to be more of an anti-spyware with little or no virus protection. I reinstalled AVG and Spybot and they seem to be working okay again. I'm familiar with them and past performance has been fine. I'll just be very careful with the "need to update" popups and if it tries to shove AVG Zen down my computer's throat again I'll just decline it.:twisted:

moonbounce

Bit Defender antivirus is rater very high and it is free, has small footprint. Windows Defender? get Malwarebytes it is also free and highly recommended.

I got this information reading different computer mags and doing a comparison of who recommends what, and the above is what I would recommend based on what i have read. Good luck.

CapStar362

i am a Bit Defender user for 4 years now. Blows away - Macafe, trend micro, kapersky, norton, avg.... all but two other products rate with BD.

NOD-32 and F-Secure

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Use these only if you really want to potentially lock yourself out of your computer.

Bitdefender is the highest rated AV and the most user friendly for its high end security.

BD-Total Security covers all bases. Firewall, Anti-Spam/Ad/Mal/Spy-ware, personal "Sand Box" ( Safe storage for crucial and critical personal files ) some cloud storage, AV, anti-theft tracking ( if your laptop or PC is stolen. you can encrypt the drive, lock it out of the user, get locations of stolen assets.... or you can even wipe the drive.

Minimal amount of resource usage compared to norton mcafee,

has a free version that is even lighter in resource usage.

I run redundant layers. BD, Super Anti-spyware, Malware Bytes and if needed, hitman Pro, Combofix and ADW Cleaner for emergency scans and checks.

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
I am a former user of Mcafee products. Had never had any issues with them, but when Norton came in, I stopped and change. ( will not go into my reasons for hating Norton )

Use to use Avg for a long time also. How ever after numerous bad updates, virus checker not catching the virus sine i got infected, i tried several others.

Ultimately needed up with A-Vast virus checker which caught everything that Avg did not. Have been with them several years now with out any problems. I also use Malware-bytes free and went to premium hoping it would be better, but found for the price, the free did just as good. Went back to the free. I also supplement with Spybot S&D.

Finger crossed, have not had any problems with this combo for me. I also make sure everything is always updated in timely manner ( also includes OS updates ).

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Bitdefender Free AV user here for some time now, works superb, install and forget it, auto updates, uses minimal resources, rated very high in many independent tests.

CapStar362

Spybot S&D has gone down in ratings and has become a resource hog.

i dropped S&D for super anit spyware and malware bytes, and they caught plenty of things even spybot missed with realtime turned on.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I'm still using Comodo free antivirus/spyware and firewall after eight years. It is really good. YMMV.

CapStar362

my BD caught a infected android phone ( yes it IS possible ) by firewall catching multiple port scans from a WiFi enabled and logged in android Note 4 on Tuesday while i was doing a on-site network overhaul.

also attempted multiple logins over WiFi direct to my laptop.

i notified the offending phones owner and found the reason.....

GROUPON coupon app. a lookout scan after deleting the app revealed the spyware she never knew she had. then i showed her the 24 page firewall log i had from her phone over LAN IP as confirmation it was her phone.

Last edited:

AC2OY

my BD caught a infected android phone ( yes it IS possible ) by firewall catching multiple port scans from a WiFi enabled and logged in android Note 4 on Tuesday while i was doing a on-site network overhaul.

also attempted multiple logins over WiFi direct to my laptop.

i notified the offending phones owner and found the reason.....

GROUPON coupon app. a lookout scan after deleting the app revealed the spyware she never knew she had. then i showed her the 24 page firewall log i had from her phone over LAN IP as confirmation it was her phone.

Wow😮

SCPD

QRT
Groupon

... i notified the offending phones owner and found the reason.....

Same here. My AV software went nuts when the other half put a coupon program on this machine. May of been Groupon, don't remember.

77Impala

I have ran Norton, had 2 virus during the time. Switched to McAfee, it did fine but is a resource hog. Have used Spybot, but cannot remember why I ended up dumping it. Have used Kapersy, it was OK.

I have used Window Defender a few times in the past and I am using it currently. No issues anytime I have used it.

After I stopped using Norton I have not had any more viruses. In my opinion they may make viruses to keep their clientele devoted to their "catching" the viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.