Good email program

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlo

Premium Subscriber
I have windows 7 and 8.1 computers. I am looking for a good email program that works and looks like Outlook Express. I want the program to run and check email and ding when a new one comes in. My email comes from my internet provider website.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have windows 7 and 8.1 computers. I am looking for a good email program that works and looks like Outlook Express. I want the program to run and check email and ding when a new one comes in. My email comes from my internet provider website.

Two thumbs up for Thunderbird

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Another vote for Thunderbird. I've been using it for years with no issues.

bharvey2

You can use Gmail and download Gmail Notifier it makes a sound when you receive an Email.......

Ditto this. I used to use Outlook several years ago but switch to GMail and never turned back. WAY fewer headaches.

arlo

Premium Subscriber
I have Thunderbird running now and I like so far. Thanks for the help.

QDP2012

Upcoming changes for Thunderbird

Several news articles today mention some upcoming changes that Thunderbird users might wish to know...
  • "Although the Firefox browser is the flagship product at the Mozilla Foundation, it's far from the only one. There's the Firefox operating system, Mozilla Composer, ChatZilla, Firefox for Mobile, and all of their various components. One of the more popular niche products is Thunderbird, the standalone email client, but it turns out that working on it is not something that the Mozilla higher-ups want to continue doing. Mozilla doesn't want to stop Thunderbird in its tracks though, but instead is leaning toward spinning it off so that more developmental time can be put into the Firefox browser..." -- FoxNews.com

Mozilla is thinking about ditching Thunderbird email client -- FoxNews.com

• "You might know Mozilla primarily for its Firefox browser, but for many years the company has also developed an e-mail client called Thunderbird. The two projects use the same rendering engine and other underlying technology, but Mozilla Executive Chairwoman Mitchell Baker has announced that Mozilla would like to stop supporting Thunderbird, calling its continuing maintenance "a tax" on the more important work of developing Firefox..." -- ARSTechnica.com

Thunderbird “a tax” on Firefox development, and Mozilla wants to drop it -- ARSTechnica.com

• "The Mozilla Foundation looks like it’s about to take another step in its bid to sharpen its focus on development around its Firefox browser. Mozilla now wants to once and for all hive off support for Thunderbird, the free email, chat and news client it first developed in 2004 but effectively stopped directly updating in in 2012. The plans were revealed in a company-wide memo penned today by chairperson Mitchell Baker. (We have confirmed with Mozilla that it is indeed from her.)..." -- TechCrunch.com

Mozilla Wants To Split Off Its Thunderbird Email/Chat Client -- TechCrunch.com
Hope this helps,

CapStar362

i heard about that.

when they developed the "mandatory" "Chrome-fox" look as we like to call it, and stripped many functions out of FF that were very useful and forced the classic look to be a 3rd party theme, i dropped FF and went to Chrome and synced everything i had from FF and IE into Chrome, now that Chrome OS and Android will be integrated into a single OS, G+ Synchronization will be flawless.

I already have everything i do, across my DROID Turbo, Samsung Tab 10.1 and 10.5, my laptop, media server AND desktop.

if i need to use FF then i use it. if god forbidding i need to use IE then i guess i use it, other wise, Chrome is now my default browser for everything.

bharvey2

Since I switched to GMail, Chrome has been my "Go To" browser as well. I used FF for a while but Chrome and the account syncing is just so nice. I dread IE and only use it when I have some older equipment or software that mandates it's use.

At work we switched over to GMail as our mail provider several years ago but we still have some Outlook holdouts that refuse to use the default GMail web mail client. Without exception, Outlook has crapped out on everyone who uses it despite the warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.