Update to Window 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

drake2b

I have windows 8.1 now do not want to update to windows 10!
Do I understand Microsoft will continue to update 8.1 till 1-9-2018
mainstream updates (everything - security- regular updates till
that date then?? Extended updates after that we must pay for??
Give me a simple explanation please.

Thanks
Drake2b

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
the simple explanation is that nothing is for free.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think people are fearing Windows 10 for nothing. Its a damn os, not freakin ebola! MS also gives you instructions how to go back to your previous os too. :roll: 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Why don't you ask MS instead of posting in a radio website forum.
Huh? Were you referring to me? I only commented, and this thread IS in the computer forum right? MS is already aware there are people not happy with Win 10. I was responding to Drakes comment. 73, n9zas :confused:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Huh? Were you referring to me? I only commented, and this thread IS in the computer forum right? MS is already aware there are people not happy with Win 10. I was responding to Drakes comment. 73, n9zas :confused:
Nah, he was referring to the OP, same as you.

I was gonna ask the same question. Beats me why people ask questions in one forum that clearly should be ask of someone somewhere else.

toastycookies

I have windows 8.1 now do not want to update to windows 10!
Do I understand Microsoft will continue to update 8.1 till 1-9-2018
mainstream updates (everything - security- regular updates till
that date then?? Extended updates after that we must pay for??
Give me a simple explanation please.

Thanks
Drake2b

Doesn't seem like any of the replies so far have even remotely touched on your question so let me try to be of some help instead of just another one of them.

Mainstream Support

This is the first phase of support that Microsoft provides for most of its products and services. It lasts for five years and includes the following:

Incident support which includes no charge, paid and warranty claims.
Security updates
Ability to request hotfixes that are not security related
Extended Support

This stage comes right after Mainstream Support and lasts for five years as well. It includes the following elements of support:

Paid support incidents
Security updates (no additional cost)
If you want non-security related hotfixes then you must purchase Extended Hotfix Support and pay for each fix requested
Extended Hotfix Support is not available for consumer desktop OS’s.
During the extended support phase there are some caveats:

Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the Extended Support phase
Extended Support is not available for Consumer, Consumer Hardware, or Multimedia products
Enrollment in a maintenance program may be required to receive these benefits for certain products

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifecycle-windows81-faq
http://winsupersite.com/microsoft/understanding-basics-microsoft-s-mainstream-vs-extended-support

Do not get discouraged by other peoples nonsense replies, MOST of us on this forum really do want to help each other out.

gewecke

Banned
Toasted cookies, Wtf, I DID respond to his post! You're overthinking it lol. Windows 10 is not the threat everyone seems to think it is. In spite of your long winded reply. ;). 73, n9zas

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
'gewecke', some people just like to be

a little, ah snotty, so don't worry about what was posted there.
To the OP, I've had Windows 10 for over a month now and find it to be better that Windows 7, which I had since it came out. There's a minor learning curve, but should you find a problem, just get on:

Windows 10 Forums

and they will help you. One Administrator, Brink, goes out of his way to help. It's a really great site to help with Win 10.

edit: oh, btw, people think that 10 will spy on you; it's no problem clicking any app you think may be spying on you off.
Also of note; the 29th of July is the end date to get 10 free.

gewecke

Banned
a little, ah snotty, so don't worry about what was posted there.
To the OP, I've had Windows 10 for over a month now and find it to be better that Windows 7, which I had since it came out. There's a minor learning curve, but should you find a problem, just get on:

Windows 10 Forums

and they will help you. One Administrator, Brink, goes out of his way to help. It's a really great site to help with Win 10.

edit: oh, btw, people think that 10 will spy on you; it's no problem clicking any app you think may be spying on you off.
Also of note; the 29th of July is the end date to get 10 free.
I fully agree. After having spent some time with windows 10, I think it might be a little more intuitive than windows 7. Kind of like working on your car, but in someone elses shop & trying to find their tools to do it. Yeah, the whole spying scenario is easy to deal with once you learn how its allowed. :wink: 73, n9zas

toastycookies

Toasted cookies, Wtf, I DID respond to his post! You're overthinking it lol. Windows 10 is not the threat everyone seems to think it is. In spite of your long winded reply. ;). 73, n9zas

Nah man I use win 10 as well, all my windows systems are upgraded to it.

I do not see windows 10 as a threat or whatever at all.

I was just trying to answer the questions of the OP with facts.

Nothing against any other people to reply but they did not focus on his question.

There were no answers just opinions. I figured I may offer an answer with facts.

That is all.

cmdrwill

I am told NOT to install Service Pack 3 as it just installs Windows 10.

Some persons have computers that do not support Windows 10.

gewecke

Banned
What computers do not support Windows 10?
. I saw a list of supported machines on the MS forums, but didn't save the link. I just did the windows 10 update for a Dell xps that went without MS updates for about 6 months and all those were missing & had to be installed before the windows 10 update would even complete. 73, n9zas

slicerwizard

The OP didn't ask your opinion of Win10, just how long 8.1 is supported, so your non-reply was essentially pointless.

gewecke

Banned
The OP didn't ask your opinion of Win10, just how long 8.1 is supported, so your non-reply was essentially pointless.
Well your reply to MY post was pointless too ya think, since I wasn't responding to you. SO who are you to decide what's pointless? :lol: 73, n9zas

drake2b

Simple question ??

I am not worried about Windows 10 spying on me!!
I don't want the hassle of installing any programs that
may not reload and other things. Learning curve...
Just how long can I get support from Microsoft on
Windows 8.1!!! Program updates and security updates
just that simple!!!
What else can I say for some of you??
I believe this is the computer form!!??
KC4RAF thank you.

CapStar362

Simple ANSWER:

Ya'll just literally beat the dead horse and its unborn fetus twice over.

He asked:

"How long will 8.1 get updates"

simple answer

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Windows+8.1+end+of+life

Mainstream Support is dated for termination on Jan 9th of 2018

NUFF SAID!

Drake - What this means is, all Consumers will stop getting regular updates and security updates after Jan 9th 2018.

Corporate and Priority/Premium Customers will still receive updates ( Even XP Still gets updates for certain applications of uses ) , to what date that will end, we will not know till some time AFTER mainstream support ends.

SCPD

QRT
Drake - What this means is, all Consumers will stop getting regular updates and security updates after Jan 9th 2018.

This is not 100% correct.

While "mainstream" support does come to an end on 1/9/2018 for Windows 8, no cost to the user "extended" support does not come to an end in till 1/10/2023.

This "extended" support includes everything you currently receive minus non-security updates which are few and far between with Microsoft these days.

By the way, you still have till the end of October 2016 to purchase a machine with Windows 8 preinstalled.

Anne-britt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.