Waterford 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4wwu

Has anyone else heard a control channel on one of Waterfords Police channels?

Channel 6, 858.2375 now has a control channel. Constant data with a light "chirp" every now and then...

I am wondering if its the start of the system??

73, Pete
K4QHR

KB1JHU

I was out that way today and had a P25 control channel on 859.2375
Here's what my pro-106 gave me:

N001 W: 91FA3
Sys: 001 R104 S014

No talkgroups came up.

KB1JHU

The vendor is MA/COM. Anyone know what type of format they will use? Project 25, Open Sky etc?

http://www.waterfordct.org/meetingmins/EMAC Radio42109.pdf

I don't mean to sound like a huge ass here, but does anyone read the thread before posting? It will be P25.

I was out that way today and had a P25 control channel on 859.2375
Here's what my pro-106 gave me:

N001 W: 91FA3
Sys: 001 R104 S014

No talkgroups came up.

Is Waterford getting a M/A-COM OpenSky or a ProVoice system?
Neither. P25.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I work with a fire chief from Waterford on my shift. What I am under the impression is that it isn't a P-25 system. I'll see if I can get the exact information and post it here.

KB1JHU

I work with a fire chief from Waterford on my shift. What I am under the impression is that it isn't a P-25 system. I'll see if I can get the exact information and post it here.

According to a lot of the meeting minutes, it's going to be P25.

Town of Waterford, CT - Town Clerk

Look under "Emergency Management Advisory Council" and "Emergency Management Advisory Council ~ Radio Project Subcommittee"

There are plenty of references to P25.

That and I was picking up a P25 control channel on 859.2375 last week and a member at Scan New England picked up a P25 control channel on 858.2375 2 weeks before that with the same system info.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
KB Thanks for the info. I guess I owe you a 6 pack of "Pottsville Gold"!!! LOL Wanna go on a road trip to Port Chester for some?????

Also, has anyone heard or picked up any talkgroup IDs yet during testing?

KB1JHU

KB Thanks for the info. I guess I owe you a 6 pack of "Pottsville Gold"!!! LOL Wanna go on a road trip to Port Chester for some?????

I never saw any TG info but it was a weekend when I was out there and I didn't hang around the area for too long. Hopefully someone out that way will report anything new as soon as it happens!

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber

Have it in my Pro-106 and Pro-2096 and have heard no transmissions as of yesterday. I know the PD are still operating on 856.2375 analog.

KB1JHU

Have it in my Pro-106 and Pro-2096 and have heard no transmissions as of yesterday. I know the PD are still operating on 856.2375 analog.

Make sure you check all the frequencies.

New license: WQKC448
858.2375 - also on WNJH349
859.2375 - also on WNJH349
859.7125 - also on WNJQ241

There is another on: WNJQ241

And the remainder from the old license: WNJH349

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you check all the frequencies.

New license: WQKC448
858.2375 - also on WNJH349
859.2375 - also on WNJH349
859.7125 - also on WNJQ241

There is another on: WNJQ241

And the remainder from the old license: WNJH349

Been there. Done that

justice1776

Something I believe Waterford and other cities should consider before wasting tax dollars on these digital radio systems.

"Montgomery County, MD - Digital radio issues during major fire"

Montgomery County, MD - Digital radio issues during major fire | Daryl Jones' Weblog

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been saying this for a few years now, but the big radio companies just want our money.

thom

Premium Subscriber
Waterford new comm tower

I drove over the Niantic bridge today and saw that the new Waterford tower on the hill has sprouted many antennas. Some of them look like cell phone design. Can't get any info from the Town of Waterford web site as the Radio Committee has cancelled their June meetings.

Scandxer

Looks like the Waterford PD transition to digital has been completed??

The old analog frequency has gone silent for me within the last week.

The city of Waterford, is planning to implement a six-site, Project 25 simulcast trunked radio system. The new system is expected to be fully online by late 2010. When completed all city services, including fire and police services will migrate to the new digital radio system. The FCC license for this new TRS is: WQKC448.

waterford p25

ok sorry for this being long but there are a few things to point out here.

i run a bc796d at work and i am on the road all over the eastern half of CT specifically newlondon county. just yesterday (friday 22 2010) i passed down thru waterford and i when i do i always flip over to the new system to see if they have it running. i travelled the whole length of rt 32 from the CT college to the highway and i got nothing as far as a control channel. i have gotten before and it set right into the scanner as a p25 trunked system so i do know thats what it will be. trust me on that last one, my scanner is a little b@@@@ when it comes to putting a trunked system in. you have to have it perfect or it wont work. they are however still using their conventional frequency 856.2375. that was alive and active as of all day yesterday and i have that set in the scanner with a pl tone and all so i know that is correct so for the gentleman who hasnt heard anything on it i would make a safe assumption and say check your antenna and cable. ive had problems before where i lost activity and thought the entity had moved only to find a connection went bad.

as far as digital systems go, and this is just judging by the CSP on my scanner and what i hear them say, digital systems work pretty good and when you have one, there are alot more advantages to it. the catch is that just like cell phones if you dont make sure you saturate the area with signal, the system wont preform the way you want it to i.e. - the dead zones on i95 in the groton/stonington areas. im not a huge fan of digital systems but if they work better and the radio service can get their heads out of their lazy a@@@@ just long enough to actually take the time to study the area and work out all the dead zones and bugs out of the system then digital systems will work. as far as the audio in high noise enviroments, once again, just like cell phones 1. you cant deep throat the area where the microphone element is, 2. it will pick up everything possible in the background which does not work in a high noise situation. with a analog system if your in high noise you can talk closer to the mic and be heard over the noise, with digital if you do that it normally will just distort your voice to where its not understandable. then you have the other end of this problem where the operator of the radio has no freaking clue on the science behind operating it and just treats it like kids treat FRS radios when they talk.

fire departments and ems just need to keep their radios simple and stop trying to advance. their main goal is to save lives, not walk around all proud with their expensive toys and try to be important.should they need to be on a system they should always have an analog backup system in place that they use for backup/ and on scene communications. the matter of saving a life is sometimes going to depend on clear communication. they dont need any errors AT ALL whether its operator or radio error. most guys ive heard on fire radios alot of times really do not know how to use the radio or how the thing works. im not chopping down emergency personnel when i say this, what i am saying is there is a huge lack of training on someones part. if you are to do alot of radio communication in emergency situations then i say learn the topography of the area, know all your tower sites, know the basic science behind RF propagation. it doesnt take much to learn all that and from what ive seen of fire fighters in just my area alone most have at least some sort of clue as to whats going on so they already have a head start. sounds retarded to know all of that? not if it means a matter of life and death.

Cskib32087

Well what elese would a company that does sales want except money?

And that guys blog you keep going to is only using info he gets from news media

NO news media story is EVER correct. News media is there to shock and awe people so they watch, listen or read, thats it nothing more or less.

You sound like the firefighters that used to say not to wear flash hoods because you wont know when the fire is too hot and to get out.....That lasted huh??? Ignorant comments by people scared by progress ( or knuckle heads that dont want to buy a digital scanner)

Having gone to class at the Montgomery county fire school last year for a few weeks we dicussed this incident for hours and listend to real tapes made at another dispatch center (Yes on the trunk system output) and its a much diffrent story, when MG county offerd this to the media they passed because the story was to cold. (No money in it)

Digital is here to stay and will get better with time, If departments can't make SOPs to make the fireground safe than no matter what radio system you have you will still have problems. 25 years from now analog will be a thing of the past

Stamford CT is P25 Digital encrypted for fire and police and they LOVE the system and have no issues, because they have good SOPs and good training

A radio system is just like any other equipment, if you don't know how to use it you will get someone killed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been saying this for a few years now, but the big radio companies just want our money.

Status
Not open for further replies.