Eastern CT Hams. Should we do background checks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmacinct

OK - it's all public news but I thought I would consolidate things today.

Unfortunately, these are two examples of how the Amateur Radio world is starting to be perceived. Both made front page of Norwich Bulletin

There are plenty of seasoned,. experienced, reliable, and WORTHY ham's out here - let's just remember to check who they are and their intent(s) before joining any our groups. Make sure before you start letting them into your departments, EOC, command posts, and special events, we know they are of sound, moral character.

KB1RBH
Former firefighter charged with Norwich arson - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin

KB1RBI
Norwich man due in court over Walmart gunman prank - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin

73's Kevin

w1haf

RE: Hams

I agree with Kevin and would like to state that there are many hard working good hams and radio enthusiasts
who are great people. Please don't judge the masses by a few bad apples. This happens in all groups and hopefully we are able to weed them out.

I agree that we need to check our people out before allowing them access to sensitive information and positions.

That is enough for now.

Harrison

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Background checks would be good, however how can you tell how a person is going to turn out in the long run. Just because a person has a clean record doesn't mean their law-abiding Joe-Q Public.

I think yes it would be a deterrent but you are still going to get those who may appear fine on paper and slip through the checks and balances.

kmacinct

Background checks would be good, however how can you tell how a person is going to turn out in the long run. Just because a person has a clean record doesn't mean their law-abiding Joe-Q Public.

I think yes it would be a deterrent but you are still going to get those who may appear fine on paper and slip through the checks and balances.

True - but a good background - some good solid references - place to start.

I see TOO MANY agencies these days let 'anyone in' under the theory "we can use any help we get".

These two are a sore for not only our Ham Community, but the other groups they have 'tried' to become members of.

KM

CT22

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Morons

Kevin,

I see these two assclowns have consecutive callsigns and are from similar areas which means they might have tested together. Are they buddies? I wonder if they worked together during these incidents? In anycase they are a serious threat to public safety.

Cskib32087

Didn't the eastern area have that kid that was making bombs in his garage?
I thought I saw somewhere they found radios or scanners on him.
Not sure if he was a ham.
I would be fine with the same rules to buy a gun be used for radios and scanners

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
>I would be fine with the same rules to buy a gun be used for radios and scanners
Some folks really don't like the idea. They are not bad people, they just don't like other people presuming they are.

K1EMD

I would be fine with the same rules to buy a gun be used for radios and scanners

KB1RBH is the one that has been arrested for making the bombs. Yes, eastern Connecticut.

KB1RBI is the one arrested for making the false report.

The first from Colchester, the second from Norwich, CT.

rmartin80

background Checks

First, I know Keith and I'm not saying that I am defending him or the other guy that did these stupid things.
Background checks need to be done because we are called upon by many agencies for their help. E.O.C's for every town use Ham radio operators all the time for communications. Homeland Security may not trust us anymore if something is not done. I had to have a background check done for my CDL, Gun Permit and Gaming License. Why not a FEDERAL Communications Commission ( Ham Radio License)?
Anyone that uses a two way radio in a crime, should have the radio's taken away. If you have a Ham License and commit a Felony, they should have all their licenses revoked. I know that this would be after the fact, but I think it is a start.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Those creeps should be nailed to the wall. Hard.
The people who have not done anything should not be subject to any increased checks or attention.
To change the rules based on those two idiots would mean the rules were, in effect - written by idiots.

Last edited:

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound

Yup they found and took the scanner from him because after lighting the fire he listened to the response on the scanner according to ch. 3 news.
And his buddy the other ham listened to the response of the PD after reporting the man with the gun over Walmarts operation freq.
Here is his orrig. post when they took his scanner away!
Maybe it will turn up on one of those PD auctions someday or one of the officers got a nice gift for his trouble.

http://forums.radioreference.com/rants/168687-csp-siezed-my-scanner.html

Cskib32087

Corrigan45Unit

Didn't know he was the ham on the first post. I remember doing some snooping when he posted the info about his scanner being taken because it didn't sound right. According to the news paper he was in corrigan correctional facility and according to the guards Unit 45 is the Psych ward, So 2+2 = well you can figure it out from the news now.
Im wondering if his web page streaming live CSP is to get back at them for catching him?

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
Oh my I remember him. He started sending me instant messages on like aol I tried to ignore him. Wondered why I hadn't seen him around in a while. Now we know why. Jeesh

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
He told me they gave it back to him. in a instant message. He had sent it away also to Uniden to be repaired.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
There are so many different levels of background checks available, and none are fool proof.

Unless your applying for a law enforcement position or a clearence level with the USGvt, plan on it being a criminal background or wanted check only.

Fingerprints will only verify if they have a criminal history (typically felony level as mis level crimes are not always fingerprinted - especially if done by summons) or if there are unknown prints connected to a crime and in the database to be searched.

Then you have financial backgrounds, personal interviews, employment interviews - some going back YEARS, neighbor and former neighbor interviews, etc etc.

Even with all that, you can still be a closet assclown that just slides under the radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.