RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Default Vox recorders

Anyone know of any free/good VOX or Sound Activating Recording programs that can be downloaded so I can record scanner audio? I've been using the free one from Nino Porcino, but it's a little outdated (1998) and I was looking for something with a few more features. I am now trying Audacity (Beta version), but can't figure out how to use it to VOX record. I'm looking for one that can preferably keep track of the time as it records. I know that's a lot to ask for, but any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2011, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner404 View Post
Anyone know of any free/good VOX or Sound Activating Recording programs that can be downloaded so I can record scanner audio? I've been using the free one from Nino Porcino, but it's a little outdated (1998) and I was looking for something with a few more features. I am now trying Audacity (Beta version), but can't figure out how to use it to VOX record. I'm looking for one that can preferably keep track of the time as it records. I know that's a lot to ask for, but any help greatly appreciated.
Audacity:
On the Menu items under the tool bar, on "audio host" set the input for your line in or microphone...
On the Tool Bar -->Transport-->Sound Activated Recording(on/off)-- and just below that is the Sound Activation Level adjustment. You can also select Software Play-through (on/off) From the Transport menu to hear the recorded audio from your PC speakers.

Scanner Recorder and Scanner Recorder Pro from Davee.com are actually pretty good, but last I knew he hadn't finished the MP3 option, leaving .wav as the only output option.

Last edited by OCO; 12-31-2011 at 1:02 PM.. Reason: is]are
Old 12-31-2011, 5:48 PM

I use ID Tracker III with my scanner.
While it does more than just record, it does a great job for me at recording scanner traffic.
Its also free.

Baton Rouge Area Scanning - ID Tracker

Here is what the audio player/recorder part looks like.
Attached Images

Last edited by Placid1; 12-31-2011 at 6:13 PM.. Reason: Add link
Old 12-31-2011, 6:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placid1 View Post
While it does more than just record, it does a great job for me at recording scanner traffic.
Its also free.

Only problem is it only works with certain scanners as it needs to communicate with the scanner and does not listen for audio to start recording. I wish it did.
Old 12-31-2011, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skud View Post
does not listen for audio to start recording.
Not sure about that. I use single segment recording. It seperates each call.
I can listen to a call that happened at a certain time very easily. Never any dead space like if it was constantly recording.
If I want to listen to what happened while I was asleep on freq. I just select it and it will play thru all the calls that happened one right after another. Maybe its not a true vox but it must be using some way to only capture the calls with no gaps between and seperate them by user.
If your scanner works with it give it a try. If you dont like it, get rid of it and try something else.

Last edited by Placid1; 12-31-2011 at 6:53 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2012, 4:58 PM

I use xcorder. Downloads. I think it does exactly what you are trying to do.

Give it a try - it's freeware.

- Jerry
Old 01-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsteele View Post
I use xcorder. Downloads. I think it does exactly what you are trying to do.

Give it a try - it's freeware.

- Jerry
Thanks Jerry! this one is what I was looking for; however I can't seem to figure out why the volume bar shifts down after I raise it in the Xcorder program to playback what I recorded. It starts out fine, then slowly shifts to mute. Any idea's?
Thanks Again
Old 01-02-2012, 5:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

I was wondering the same thing. I downloaded the program after seeing this thread. The recording is right on the money. But that bar keeps sliding down until you have no audio. I cant figure it out!

Manny
Old 01-02-2012, 5:36 PM

Default Vox

I like and use the recorder from Scanner Recorder Home Page

It's truly voice activated and has a visual, adjustable audio "squelch".

As a matter of fact I used it just last night to capture the church fire in Somers.

It continued to record the events even after I eventually went to sleep at 2AM.

From the website:

Scanner Recorder provides a switched recorder that listens to the sound coming into the audio card and if the sound is above the minimum threshold, the recorder operates. If the sound level falls below the threshold, the recorder pauses.

Since the recorder starts and stops based on what it hears, Scanner Recorder incorporates an anti-clipping feature that keeps the very beginning of the audio that breaks the squelch threshold from being clipped off. The result is that when sound is played back, there is no noticeable "click". Also the beginning of the audio event is not clipped off (like mechanical vox recorders do).

It's Freeware with no adware or nags.

Hope this helps.

~Doc
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2012, 6:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

+1 on ID Tracker III

Quote:
Not sure about that. I use single segment recording. It seperates each call.
I can listen to a call that happened at a certain time very easily. Never any dead space like if it was constantly recording.
If I want to listen to what happened while I was asleep on freq. I just select it and it will play thru all the calls that happened one right after another. Maybe its not a true vox but it must be using some way to only capture the calls with no gaps between and seperate them by user.
If your scanner works with it give it a try. If you dont like it, get rid of it and try something else.
I installed ID tracker III after reading this thread yesterday and have been very impressed with what it does. As Placid1 said, with single segment recording, you essentially have a .wav file for each system you've chosen to record with searchable tracks of audio events in each file. Very impressive!

Using a bcd396xt
Regards,
Mike
Old 04-25-2014, 8:25 PM

Link is dead!
and +1 for xcorder...the biggest drawback i have for it is that it will only record in one hour segments or all as one whole recording...it will not create a new file for each transmission

Quote:
Its also free.

Here is what the audio player/recorder part looks like.
Old 04-26-2014, 8:48 AM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Vox recorders

Since it's been over two years since the link was posted, it's not surprising it's dead.

Please don't revive threads that are haven't had any posts in years. Find a more recent thread and if that can't be done, start a new thread.

Thanks.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 04-26-2014, 8:41 PM

Srry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
Since it's been over two years since the link was posted, it's not surprising it's dead.

Please don't revive threads that are haven't had any posts in years. Find a more recent thread and if that can't be done, start a new thread.

Thanks.