RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Kevin I'm very surprised but not really at the same time that they did that having one number and now its long distance, should have kept the local numbers.

But it goes to show you how this state works, the next best thing is always enacted after a knee-jerk reaction. There are ways to do thing and ways not too. I just hope no one gets seriously injured or killed because of the lack of real planning with this, it just seams like a mess. Just like NYC implemented the universal call taker fiasco! Looks like the took the "Triple P" route again.
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2013, 9:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

most people have cell phones now so all calls have no long distance and if its truly an emergency there is no charge for that except the tax in your phone bill....so far at least. Lots of states have consolidation. People don't like change I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyj4 View Post
Kevin I'm very surprised but not really at the same time that they did that having one number and now its long distance, should have kept the local numbers.

But it goes to show you how this state works, the next best thing is always enacted after a knee-jerk reaction. There are ways to do thing and ways not too. I just hope no one gets seriously injured or killed because of the lack of real planning with this, it just seams like a mess. Just like NYC implemented the universal call taker fiasco! Looks like the took the "Triple P" route again.
Old 11-22-2013, 9:46 PM
Multistate DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

The point is that its more than a phone call.

Instead of being able to go down to the local troop, you now need to drive another 45min+ to get somewhere. What were decades of "local" places you know you can stop into for an emergency, question, filling out reports, statements etc is now an empty building.

The current guy that came up with this plan wanted to do this years back when he was Captain. For years he wanted to close Troop W, close and realign other troops, etc. At that time, everyone said he was nuts, cost money, and not be in the public interest and was shot down all the time. Now he is in the position to do that, and is.

When they consolidated some places already, all they did was shuffle supervisors around into other units or doubled up on shifts - rather than putting more people on the road. Each troop (with the exception of Troop W, SPHQ) had a trooper sitting on the desk with a civilian dispatcher. That was done for quite a long time as some questions could be answered by a certified police officer instead of sending a guy half way across the patrol district for a 2 minute question. Now that trooper will most likely have to go meet a person to answer that question with travel time, and fuel costs.

Now, can regional dispatching work? Yes, but it is a very foreign concept in the northeast and towns and cities are notorious independent fiefdoms and it fails before it begins.

Either way, its a management shuffle with no realized savings.
Old 11-23-2013, 9:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Attn Izzy

Izzy,
You'll appreciate this..

Sign on the door, and view from my window....
And yes, the doors are locked...

Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 5:19 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CSP East Dispatch Centers to be Merged

This is unbelievable! What a bunch of morons. I can't believe the CSP managements total incompetence. They should never lock the doors to a troop. They can have the call boxes inside the lobby. They expect the public to stand outside in New England weather.

I agree with dispatch consolidation but I certainly do not agree with the implementation.

They should definitely keep the doors to the troop open 24 hrs. It is just as important to have a trooper available for walk- ins and prisoner monitoring not to mention completing reports and paperwork as it is to have them on the road.

What's the deal with the sign? Is it really crooked?
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2013, 5:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1haf View Post
This is unbelievable! What a bunch of morons. I can't believe the CSP managements total incompetence. They should never lock the doors to a troop. They can have the call boxes inside the lobby. They expect the public to stand outside in New England weather.

I agree with dispatch consolidation but I certainly do not agree with the implementation.

They should definitely keep the doors to the troop open 24 hrs. It is just as important to have a trooper available for walk- ins and prisoner monitoring not to mention completing reports and paperwork as it is to have them on the road.

What's the deal with the sign? Is it really crooked?
Yep, looks likes one screw is missing. The other problem I have noticed is that the public are to impatient to wait. From my understanding, (please let me know if this is not the case) there are 2 buttons. One an INFO button and the other an emergency button. People are too impatient to either listen to the menu to be connected to the right person and hang up from that and hit the emergency button for non emergency issues. That button, at least in Danielson, rings 911 at Q.V. where then I have to transfer it to the Consolidated center. And even when I do that, it takes several rings before I can hit the option for dispatch and takes a few more for them to pick up. I do not blame the call takers and dispatchers for that. That is just the system we have to work with.

Uniden BC355 in the truck, a BC350A hosting a feed a BC125AT playing several rolls, and now a BCD536HP.
Old 11-24-2013, 7:37 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1haf View Post
This works all over the country but for some reason it won't work in Connecticut? Just because there is a central dispatch doesn't mean you shut the station. I don't think that all the precincts in New York City shut the doors.
The difference you will not find a locked Pct in NYC, lights out and empty. While Waterford may not lock it's PD, here in East Lyme our station is often locked, lights out and no one inside. If you need a P.O. You must walk to the side entrance, not front entrance, pick up the phone and speak with a CRO who has to dispatch a PO to the station after hours and weekends.

Last edited by sefrischling; 11-24-2013 at 7:46 AM..
Old 11-24-2013, 8:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If you keep the building open 24/7, that means that you have to staff it 24/7. To have 4 people assigned to each troop year round just to be there for the occasional person needing help is wasteful.
What about the other towns that are covered by resident troopers? They don't sit there but they lock the doors to respond to calls or patrol.
The state subsidizes the police protection to these small towns that choose to not have a police department. Perhaps they should pass the real cost of protection onto those towns.

chris
Old 11-26-2013, 11:44 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacinct View Post
Izzy,
You'll appreciate this..

Sign on the door, and view from my window....
And yes, the doors are locked...

BAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know what you meant by people standing at the "blue pole" the other day on the other forum!

Oh and I guess the other screw for the sign wasn't in the budget too!!! Doesn't surprise me at all!! Glad I left when I did!
Sponsored links