RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 9:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So what you're saying is we as citizens have no right to expect transparency in our public safety departments, then, correct? We don't have the right to access information that could possibly put my safety at risk? God help you then when you have a major emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts548 View Post
No you don't. Where is it stated that you have the right to listen to communications? It's a privledge, not a right.
Lenawee Co. Skywarn
Sponsored links

Old 11-21-2012, 8:40 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No you do not but law enforcement deserves the right to protect themselves from the criminals who want to take their life. It's just a hobby bro. It's a cops life.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I see two valid points in your answer: They do have a right to protect themselves. This is a given as I have friends here where I live that are LEO's so I wouldn't expect different from them and yes it is just a hobby.
But, I think we need to stop giving the LEO's a reason to encrypt by not streaming their transmissions on the net in the first place. As en example, St Clair County Michigan is citing the net streaming as THE main reason for encryption. I don't listen to feeds such as say in L.A. as things there have no effect on what happens to me here in Michigan. I got enough here in the Tri-State area to keep me happy. Okay I see I unintentionally went OT here so I will end with this, If you really want to keep certain traffic confidential, fine, but, there has to be a different way to do things. With that, I will end my rant here. I apologize to the Op and mods here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1TGE View Post
No you do not but law enforcement deserves the right to protect themselves from the criminals who want to take their life. It's just a hobby bro. It's a cops life.
Lenawee Co. Skywarn
Old 11-22-2012, 9:36 PM
Engineer - SNE DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevinedc View Post
That is very strange. I've never heard them past Farmington on my way to RI. The signal is spotty on Main street Torrington especially on the portable (396xt) or HP-1. I can't understand why they would 'borrow' Harwinton's frequency. They may even be using the Harwinton tower.
Not really when you consider the repeater's location, geographically , favors the east very well.
Down in Farmington you get blocked, badly, by Rattlesnake Mountain (where the two tall TV towers are)

Go north of Avon Mountain and East, and you end up higher in elevation than Avon Mountain, and look right into the Litchfield hills.