Storm info / Damage Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottb908

Feed Provider
Its still very early in the storm however I figured it might be good to have a consolidated page to post traffic and damage reports.

As of 9:15 6,338 Total CL&P Customers Reported Affected without power.

No major damage reported, high surf along the coast.
:

jim202

th ehighways are being shut down at 11 am for tractor trailers and cars at 1 pm

From someone that has lived a good portion of my life in New England, I have never heard of a state shutting down the entire limited access highway system. I can understand the need for caution, but that concerned time has not yet come. The storm is not there yet. I have not heard of that much flooding inland, but the DE and NJ coasts are starting to see the results of the moon, high tide and sustained winds.

Time will tell just what this will cause for major traffic problems. The ripple effect will be jammed up Interstates outside the state of CT, plugged secondary roads and grid lock in general. Most truck drivers have enough sense to get off the roads before the weather gets bad. Can't say that about the local drunks that your not going to change anyway you look at it.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
From someone that has lived a good portion of my life in New England, I have never heard of a state shutting down the entire limited access highway system.

Not the first time! Gov. Ella T. Grasso shutt down the state during a blizzard in 1978!

Manny

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Not the first time! Gov. Ella T. Grasso shutt down the state during a blizzard in 1978!

Manny

What is Governor Malloy going to do plow wind and water???? How about cut up fallen trees that the DPW have been cutting down for months. Rediculous!!!!!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
What is Governor Malloy going to do plow wind and water???? How about cut up fallen trees that the DPW have been cutting down for months. Rediculous!!!!!

Look, I'm no fan of Gov. Malloy by any stretch of the imagination, but closing the highways was the right call. Some people will do whatever they feel like doing regardless of the obvious dangers involved. Those are the same people you end up having to rescue or recover later using valuable resources (Police/Fire/EMS) simply because the chose to go out instead of staying put! This does not apply obviously, to those who HAVE to evacuate areas of high risk in search of higher ground. As far as limited access highways like the Meritt Pkwy, it is filled with trees from the Greenwich border all the way to the Wallingford 91/691 split. It's not the first time that trees have fallen and killed a motorist or two on some part of the road. Why would anyone drive on it and put themselves at risk of death from falling trees during a storm like this is beyond comprehension! Closing the highways was a wise choice! It's better to be safe than sorry! People do STUPID things during severe weather, STUPID! Milford had a 40 year old man go SWIMMING, SWIMMING during the height of the storm last night. Now we have to use local and Coast Guard resources looking for this idiot who is now missing! Most likely, given the circumstances around last night which prevented any rescue attempts, he will wash up somewhere! They tell people to stay home, but what do they do?, go right to the shoreline to "see" or "check out" the storm surge! Seriously, really? What don't people understand about the word "dangerous"? It is because of these reasons that drastic measures sometimes have to taken during times like this!

Manny

Last edited:

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Totally Stupid!!

People do STUPID things during severe weather, STUPID! Milford had a 40 year old man go SWIMMING, SWIMMING during the height of the storm last night. Now we have to use local and Coast Guard resources looking for this idiot who is now missing!
Manny

What was he thinking? Thinking being the key word here. So now the Coast Guard will expend time, money and personnel in a search that will probably yield nothing. I wonder if this guy climed out of the surf a mile down the beach and is home sleeping, unaware that units are trying to recover his body. If he didn't survive, his body will wash ashore in the near future, no doubt. Yes, stupid is as stupid does, as Forest Gump told us.

Russell :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.