RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 2:25 PM
Founder and CEO
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'll definitely be giving long hugs to my children who are 1st and 3rd graders..... this is definitely a sad day.
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2012, 2:28 PM

It appears that another member of the alleged shooter's family is dead. A senior law enforcement official familiar with the investigation says a brother of the alleged shooter was found dead in a home searched in Hoboken, New Jersey. We already knew Ryan Lanza's mother was found dead in the elementary school.
Old 12-14-2012, 2:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
I'm with you 100%. I heard it all live as it was happening which has made me sick to my stomach. I really don't want to hear it again ever, I cannot even imagine a parent or relative hearing it!

Manny
manny i felt the same way,i got knots in my stomach once i heard all troop a units respond to the sandy hook elementary school on dinkenson rd there is an active shooter .hopefully not to many people heared it.i dont listen to the state police that often but something told me to listen to it today and caught a bank robbery in hartford with nthe suspect caught,then the worst happened. i just saw the president speak and he choked back tears and fought to hold his composure
i with you manny on your post
www.rescue9photography.com
Old 12-14-2012, 2:30 PM

Some children found hiding in closets moments ago at Connecticut school in Newtown

CNN now says suspect's brother also found dead in Hoboken, NJ.
Old 12-14-2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasterscanner View Post
It appears that another member of the alleged shooter's family is dead. A senior law enforcement official familiar with the investigation says a brother of the alleged shooter was found dead in a home searched in Hoboken, New Jersey. We already knew Ryan Lanza's mother was found dead in the elementary school.
Was this revised from his father being the one found in NJ? I'm hearing reports of another possible body at the address near the school they blocked off and searched.

Edit: WFSB is now saying two bodies were found at the location near the school.

Last edited by deltax20a; 12-14-2012 at 2:33 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2012, 2:31 PM

Very sad
Old 12-14-2012, 2:55 PM

My heart goes out to all those affected in this horrible, despicable act.

I live in Denver a short 4 miles from the Aurora Theater Shooting and 8 Miles from Columbine High School.

28 Lives Gone Too Soon. R.I.P
Old 12-14-2012, 3:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltax20a View Post
Was this revised from his father being the one found in NJ? I'm hearing reports of another possible body at the address near the school they blocked off and searched.

Edit: WFSB is now saying two bodies were found at the location near the school.
the last i heared ws the father dead in new jersey and the mother dead in the school,the shooter is dead and the brother is in custody but now they are saying they dont know which brother was the shooter
Old 12-14-2012, 3:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Lindsay;
I did the exact same thing. I have 3 daughters in our local school system only a few towns over from where this took place. You know, for whatever reason we use, we like to monitor to hear things as they happen. I have enjoyed many long hours of live monitoring. I have passed this joy, on to my daughters and even my wife gets in on it. I have never been worried or ashamed of monitoring. Today, after hearing all of this unfold, suddenly "live" took on a whole new meaning, one that I am not feeling to good about. I will eventually go back and monitor again, but I am taking a break from monitoring to help my daughters deal with this, as one of their teachers has a daughter who attends the school involved. They had to help her today as she had a severe panic attack when she received a text of the incident. Not sure if her daughter is one of the victims! This is awful!

Manny
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2012, 3:10 PM

Breaks my heart and pisses me off all at the same time! My prayers go out to everyone in the town of Newton. Stay strong!
Old 12-14-2012, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
Before this thread gets too carried away - Lindsay, please do the respectful thing and delete the archives of this. The last thing these parents need is to hear that stuff on the news.
I respectfully disagree. Please keep the archives up, it's great audio for training purposes.
Old 12-14-2012, 3:35 PM

its not getting carried away. its whats happening! whose not angry and/or hurt about this??? if the thread/archives get deleted, another one will come up about this. even obama was in tears. 20, 5 year old kids killed? come on now. go anywhere tonight and thats all your gonna hear about. so go ahead and delete if you want. this is going to be in the history books, so will always be talked about. and as stated, its great for training....nuff said

Last edited by JS11581; 12-14-2012 at 3:44 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 3:45 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

in all respect weather the feed gets deleted or not it does not matter to a point-the only way the parent will hear it is if they click on it unless the news picks up on it and plays it which i have never seen done but in the future they may obtain the first 911 calls and play that possibly so there is no way around of keeping anything from the parents. especially with social media such as twitter and faceboook and of course the media.myself and another member here heared whole thing unfold on the scanner from first dispatch and it is so heartbreaking hearing the words "active shooter in the school" and 1 person with multiple gunshot wounds--it will haunt me-the newtown police officers are gonna be messed up for life they were first in the school
Old 12-14-2012, 3:54 PM

Unfortunately, if the audio archive is not deleted, it will wind up in some form broadcasted on the media outlets. It happened here in Colorado after the Aurora theater shooting and the first thing people did is criticize the first responders, pointing out what they should or could have done better. Theirs no need for that, not to mention a family member of a victim having to hear it. If an agency wants it for training purposes, go through the proper channels and request it from the agency involved in the incident.
Old 12-14-2012, 4:50 PM
Founder and CEO
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKE View Post
Unfortunately, if the audio archive is not deleted, it will wind up in some form broadcasted on the media outlets. It happened here in Colorado after the Aurora theater shooting and the first thing people did is criticize the first responders, pointing out what they should or could have done better. Theirs no need for that, not to mention a family member of a victim having to hear it. If an agency wants it for training purposes, go through the proper channels and request it from the agency involved in the incident.
Sorry, but that is not the response that I personally saw with regards to the Aurora incident. In fact, many of the media used it as an opportunity to praise the efforts displayed by the Aurora first responders.

In any case, we don't remove audio archives in these cases. If the news media makes a conscious choice to publish audio archives in an insensitive manner, that is their responsibility to bear, not ours. There are also a number of very legitimate reasons why censoring feed archives is a bad idea.
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2012, 5:58 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thumbs down audio sucks

I feel very bad for all those that are affected by this tragic shooting. Little inocent kids should never have to go through this. My families thoughts and prayers are with them all involved.

With that said why is this feed even online I get emailed about my feed (that I fixed) but this feed you can't even understand, waste of bandwith. Is it me or everyone that can't hear or make out very little of the feed.( Fairfield police fire dispatch) You can't make out anything of this garbled mess!!!! Maybe not the time or place but really. If you can make it out and hear the happenings please email the archive of it to me, or pm me. Selfish maybe but would be nice to have quality over garbled mess. Please fix your feed before going online.

P.S. open to hate mail, PM'S let me have them i get reported. Sorry if I offended anyone!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 6:20 PM
Founder and CEO
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Here are some of the relevant archives from today's incident. Please be respectful with the use of these archives.

Newtown Police/Fire

Response starts at the 22:45 Mark

(9:13 AM - 9:43 AM)
http://areg.radioreference.com/20121...41506-7623.mp3

Continues here…

(9:43 AM - 10:13 AM)
http://areg.radioreference.com/20121...82442-7623.mp3

(10:43 AM - 11:13 AM)
http://areg.radioreference.com/20121...88411-7623.mp3

Fairfield County Police, Fire, and EMS

Response starts at the 5:45 minute mark (9:34 AM to 10:04 AM)

http://areg.radioreference.com/20121...53453-9921.mp3

Use of the archives:

You are free to share, remix, and make commercial use of RadioReference.com's audio feed archives as long as you attribute the work to RadioReference.com. We suggest "Audio Provided by RadioReference.com" as a proper attribution in your works. Our audio feed archives are governed by the Creative Commons License listed below:

Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 United States — CC BY 3.0 US

Thanks,

Last edited by blantonl; 12-14-2012 at 6:24 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 6:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Gunman incorrectly ID'd

There were earlier reports that the Shooter was man by the name of Ryan Lanza. Those reports were incorrect. The shooter Adam
Lanza, 20 yo is the brother of Ryan Lanza. Again The Shooter's name is Adam Lanza.

Also I wanted to comment in regards to the Audio Archive. Even if Lindsey were to delete them (which he has already stated he would not and I agree with this) the News Media would be able to obtain the Radio tapes from the responding agencies themselves.
Old 12-14-2012, 6:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The fact that something is "disturbing" doesn't mean that we should hide it. If somebody makes a decision to listen to those archives they should have every right too. If you censor the archives it won't magically disappear the horrible event that it was, it will just mask it.

And on a more future-driven note, usually those archives serve as a invaluable tool for training purposes ofr dispatchers and first responders around the country (if not the world), and even though as somebody said eventually those archives could be accessed via the FOIA it will probably be delayed for a very long time due to the investigation.
Old 12-14-2012, 7:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonl View Post
Sorry, but that is not the response that I personally saw with regards to the Aurora incident. In fact, many of the media used it as an opportunity to praise the efforts displayed by the Aurora first responders.
That's what you got from outside of Colorado, but the local media picked up on the story here: Police radio shows delays in shooting response | 9news.com. Now whether or not the claim is substantiated doesn't belong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365newi View Post
With that said why is this feed even online I get emailed about my feed (that I fixed) but this feed you can't even understand, waste of bandwith. Is it me or everyone that can't hear or make out very little of the feed.( Fairfield police fire dispatch) You can't make out anything of this garbled mess!!!! Maybe not the time or place but really. If you can make it out and hear the happenings please email the archive of it to me, or pm me. Selfish maybe but would be nice to have quality over garbled mess. Please fix your feed before going online.

P.S. open to hate mail, PM'S let me have them i get reported. Sorry if I offended anyone!!!
I agree that the audio is horrible, but don't agree with calling it a waste of bandwidth. It sort of sounds like a scanner with a discriminator tap and a bad decode rate. Correct me if I'm incorrect regarding this detail.