RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 8:49 PM

From Michigan - my prayers and thoughts are with those involved in this horrible situation.

Last edited by Piston52Heavy; 12-14-2012 at 8:51 PM.. Reason: grammar
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2012, 9:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Someone mention earlier earlier in this thread that the Newton PD is encrypted and that is what you are hearing.

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-14-2012, 9:07 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDXP View Post
Someone mention earlier earlier in this thread that the Newton PD is encrypted and that is what you are hearing.

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk 2
I believe that Newtown only uses encryption part-time since the majority of the initial transmissions were in the clear.
Old 12-14-2012, 9:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

This may have happened in Connecticut but it happened to all of us. We all must keep these families, public safety personnel, school administrators - and especially the surviving students - in our prayers. Tonight, our Nation weeps.
Old 12-14-2012, 9:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDXP View Post
It's not encryption at all, I've heard encryption before, they were in the clear towards the beginning. It's definitely a poor audio decode rate, and that is why I was wondering if the feed scanner is an analog scanner with a tap on it.
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2012, 9:27 PM

Default Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston52Heavy View Post
From Michigan - my prayers and thoughts are with those involved in this horrible situation.
Now that everything pressing with this incident that's going to happen - has happened - it would be nice to show a little respect. We can all follow the updates on the news.

Yes, Thanks to RR for giving us a source to follow the events as they unfolded and an outlet to sympathize with people who lost loved ones, a tragedy like this brings out the best - and now the worst - in human behavior. I heard it for myself, being in CT.

Question: Do you go to church only to sit there and criticize the quality of the sound system?

Do you think we all might be possibly able to move the Political and Technical discussions, jabs and debates somewhere else? Hundreds of people are in sorrow, and all you can think about is .... well never mind.

I don't expect anyone or everyone to agree with me, disagree with me, or debate me. Don't bother. I know it's a site about Everything Radio. But c'mon!

Please take 20 seconds to think about something more important than your own opinions - at least in this case.

With that - My Prayers are for these victims. At least some of us will have a Happy Holiday.
Old 12-14-2012, 9:37 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordialtone View Post
Now that everything pressing with this incident that's going to happen - has happened - it would be nice to show a little respect. We can all follow the updates on the news.

Yes, Thanks to RR for giving us a source to follow the events as they unfolded and an outlet to sympathize with people who lost loved ones, a tragedy like this brings out the best - and now the worst - in human behavior. I heard it for myself, being in CT.

Question: Do you go to church only to sit there and criticize the quality of the sound system?

Do you think we all might be possibly able to move the Political and Technical discussions, jabs and debates somewhere else? Hundreds of people are in sorrow, and all you can think about is .... well never mind.

I don't expect anyone or everyone to agree with me, disagree with me, or debate me. Don't bother. I know it's a site about Everything Radio. But c'mon!

Please take 20 seconds to think about something more important than your own opinions - at least in this case.

With that - My Prayers are for these victims. At least some of us will have a Happy Holiday.
The shooter, Adam Lanza, Killed his own mother before he went to the school as the school was where she taught.

This is fresh info from numerous media outlets.

This is getting worse by the minute and I'm afraid this is much worse than aurora and VT.
Old 12-15-2012, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch_Christopher View Post
I believe that Newtown only uses encryption part-time since the majority of the initial transmissions were in the clear.
This shows that they should be doing 100% encryption.

These 6+ pages of BS and releasing of the audio is going to help alot more departments go 100%
Old 12-15-2012, 9:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by APX7500X2 View Post
This shows that they should be doing 100% encryption.

These 6+ pages of BS and releasing of the audio is going to help alot more departments go 100%
I agree...

After all these years I'm disgusted by the media coverage and they certainly will try to file FOI requests for radio and telephone tapes, and claim its in the public interest. So many a**hole reporters stalking the crowd for victims and those effected is sickening.

I've been a police officer over 20 years and in EMS for over 35, and have seen video from inside Columbine with audio, and all it did was add to my PTSD.... I know some of us have witnessed things people just aren't wired to see.
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

All of us across the county are hurting.after this took place. Makes you a little more aware that this can happen anywhere and anytime..I have a 12 year old son who was in school at the time this story broke on Fri 12-14-12. A 48 year old man (Me) cried with the rest of the nation. When I picked him up at school on Friday I hugged him when he came out an held him. After we got home I told him what happened. All of us are hurting including the President. Makes you value your family and children. After this happened our local school system is increasing security at all of the schools in my township school system. I would hope that other schools across the county are doing the same to keep our kids safe while attending school during the day. "f you see something that is not right at the schools while on school gounds let the proper people know" I would ask that all of us send our thoughts are prayers to all the famlies who have lost loved ones.Also please pray for the first responders that were called to the scene and understand that they also also hurting beucase of the kids, teachers, and administrators that are involved. The President has ordered the american flag be lowered to half staff to remember those who have passed away.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dispatch recordings of this shooting on Friday 12-14-12 just made CNN. Heard the tapes on Sat 12-15-12. Credit was given to RadioReference.Com
Old 12-15-2012, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch_Christopher View Post
Yep for sure and even some you can hear at least one unit in the clear while others are encrypted.
LOVE AND BLESSINGS TO ALL MY HEART AND LOVE AND PRAYS ARE WITH ALL, ESPECIALLY THE FAMILIES.
Old 12-15-2012, 2:53 PM

12/14/12 NEWTOWN, CT: Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting
Newtown Police / Fire Dept. and Connecticut State Police Radio Traffic
Unedited Recording by Radioman911
Audio provided by RadioReference.com
Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting Newtown Police / Fire and CT State Police Radio Traffic - YouTube
Twitter www.Twitter.com/Radioman911
Old 12-15-2012, 6:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My Heart Goes out to The Families Of Newtown,Ct.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Yep for sure and even some you can hear at least one unit in the clear while others are encrypted.
Some of it sounded pretty bad because whoever is hosting that feed is using a piece of sh*t scanner that is obviously not configured properly nor being fed a very good signal.

Pathetic that media thought it a good idea to air the audio from this. Even more pathetic that the right thing wasn't done and the audio removed from this site. No matter, it's only another reason for departments to demand encryption. Enjoy the hobby while you can, and those who profit from the streams, enjoy that while it lasts.
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2012, 8:38 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
Some of it sounded pretty bad because whoever is hosting that feed is using a piece of sh*t scanner that is obviously not configured properly nor being fed a very good signal.

Pathetic that media thought it a good idea to air the audio from this. Even more pathetic that the right thing wasn't done and the audio removed from this site. No matter, it's only another reason for departments to demand encryption. Enjoy the hobby while you can, and those who profit from the streams, enjoy that while it lasts.
i agree with you too it should not be aired on the news,nobody wants to hear this but some people probably do just out of curiosity.myself and another member on this site heared the whole thing unfold on the scanner on the state police band and it was shocking and horrible hearing about certain situations inside the the school-the cops never did say they found the gunman deceased or anything about the children over the air but did relay info during the incident that was disturbing.unfortunatley even if this was encrypted,the media would use the freedom of the press and obtain these recordings through the courts or however they do and play them--you always hear of 911 tapes being replayed on the news after a tragedy and that in itself is also disturbing. in this situation they should NOT have played in on the news-everyone is suffereing.and as far as someone profiting from this is so disrespectful-im hope once memorial items start being offered( I.E. shirts,car magnets ETC- that ALL money taken in from the purchase of these items will be given to the families.

my heart and prayers go out to the families and president obama siad it best "we all have a broken heart"
www.rescue9photography.com
Old 12-16-2012, 9:11 AM

With all due respect, this was a terrible event, but I don't think encryption on radios or some new gun law would have affected the outcome of a nut wanting to hurt people. News is news, but the debate about it here is not going to fix anything. If you outlaw guns, only the criminals will have them, and if you encrypt radios, some really savvy bad guy will be able to monitor it. 99% of the time encryption is being used by agencies who don't want the public to hear how their tax money is being wasted.

For years a very large EDACS systems users thought that I-CALL could not be heard by anyone but the two using it....they didn't know scanners could still hear that conversation...they found out the hard way, that due to ignorance and lack of training they didn't know how to use their system, or what it could and couldn't do, and now their public knows which of their officers are idiots and how their tax money is wasted.

Encryption only hides the truth, and only 1% of the time is that necessary. I was very sorry to hear about this incident, but knee jerk decisions about radios and guns won't solve anything.
Old 12-16-2012, 9:48 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterwave View Post
With all due respect, this was a terrible event, but I don't think encryption on radios or some new gun law would have affected the outcome of a nut wanting to hurt people. News is news, but the debate about it here is not going to fix anything. If you outlaw guns, only the criminals will have them, and if you encrypt radios, some really savvy bad guy will be able to monitor it. 99% of the time encryption is being used by agencies who don't want the public to hear how their tax money is being wasted.

For years a very large EDACS systems users thought that I-CALL could not be heard by anyone but the two using it....they didn't know scanners could still hear that conversation...they found out the hard way, that due to ignorance and lack of training they didn't know how to use their system, or what it could and couldn't do, and now their public knows which of their officers are idiots and how their tax money is wasted.

Encryption only hides the truth, and only 1% of the time is that necessary. I was very sorry to hear about this incident, but knee jerk decisions about radios and guns won't solve anything.
i also agree withyour opinion,i like hearing whats going on,this ordeal was a tough one but at least i knew what was happeneing.you are absolutley right about your statement about decisions about radios and gun laws..in fact one of the politicians said all the laws in the world would not have prevented this.but the issue i think the last poster had was this being aired on the news which i agree-the victims families do not need to hear the events as they unfold.
www.rescue9photography.com
Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

FIRST I would like to say I grieve with everyone who has been affected by this senseless tragedy. This has affected so many so deeply.

Agreeing with quarterwave, I would like to add...

To those who think that gun control could have - would have stopped this...

CT has some of the strictest gun control in the nation - what CT doesn't have is people control. I taught my kids if what you are doing does NOT bring the desired results it is wiser to try something different, rather than banging your head against the wall while repeating the same things over & over yet expecting different results. The definition of insanity.

You probably also think that "STOP Signs" will stop cars or that forks & knives (silverware) kill by causing obesity. Or if you've had a loved one killed in a car accident that "cars should be outlawed".

The common theme there is people and we, as a society, lack "people control".

"We are ALL products of our environment"...
Perhaps we should look at single or divorced families. Or taking prayer our of schools. Or simply teaching our children morals; right from wrong.

I wouldn't doubt that today's video games (killing and more killing) play some role it how we behave today. Why not ban games where kids kill people? Ask yourself, why is this OK?

Just as Speed radar lead to radar detectors and then radar detector detectors, encryption will bring decryption devices, and so on.

Deleting the recording isn't a solution either. That would be like pretending it never happened. Imagine our world without sight or sound. Still think that will be better?

It is easier to make good choices when we have ALL of the information and it is NOT colored by lies & deceit. We have to face this reality to stop it from happening again. Suppose our forefathers didn't record the dark parts of our history? It is said that those who don't know history are bound to repeat it.

I think it was LBJ who said "Sunshine is the best disinfectant" and signed the Freedom of Information (FOI) law.

Edit:
For those who want to avoid rumors or assumptions check this link for updates from Lt. Paul Vance, he is the face and voice of reason. Tho I don't know what purpose adding DOB's to the list of names served or why? It only serves as fodder for the many who will take advantage of those who have been hardest hit by this tragedy.
http://www.ct.gov/despp/site/default.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterwave View Post

Last edited by GumbyCT; 12-16-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 AM

I also agree the media needs to have some spine and not be so greedy and anxious to exploit tragedy just to win ratings for their channel. In the same light how many times did we see and hear Challenger blow up in 1986? I thought that coverage was wrong too.