RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 1:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Police Call 1993

Just been flipping through the pages and believe it or not under the Waterford listing there was a set of 800 frequencies listed as a trunked system. I guess they call that "planning ahead" haha.
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2012, 7:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrich55 View Post
Just been flipping through the pages and believe it or not under the Waterford listing there was a set of 800 frequencies listed as a trunked system. I guess they call that "planning ahead" haha.
yeah i used to love them freq directories,when i started scanning in the late 80s and early 90s--you never sae ef johnson systems ot ltr etc-too bad they dont update the svcanner master books,they give a lot of info
www.rescue9photography.com
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks, ya had to make me go look-lol. I believe this was the last or second from the last issue of Police Call. This was the one that came with a CD that in order to use it you had to find a certain word on a certain page. Besides Keith Victor and Robert Coburn's Official Connecticut Scanner Guides those two were the only freq books you'd really want to buy
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I remember that. I think the word was station.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM

Default Police Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetnymedic View Post
Thanks, ya had to make me go look-lol. I believe this was the last or second from the last issue of Police Call. This was the one that came with a CD that in order to use it you had to find a certain word on a certain page. Besides Keith Victor and Robert Coburn's Official Connecticut Scanner Guides those two were the only freq books you'd really want to buy
Joey,

First of all, your post wouldn't have had any credibility if you hadn't included a photo including your socks!

Yeah - I had a number of those Police Call books along with Betty Bearcat. I forget what model Radio Shack scanner I had, but you had to enter the frequencies in binary by going to channel , pushing buttons in and out and pushing ENTER. Since the scanner routinely lost its brains, I'd tend to memorize the settings.

Troop H - 42.04
Troop K - 42.36 Etc, Etc.

Painful! And you wouldn't know you had a problem until you heard 20 minutes of silence. (Late 80's)

That's why this site is such a GEM. Personally, I think they should have invented the Internet much sooner. I could have saved SO much time!

What's up with that?!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordialtone View Post
Joey,

First of all, your post wouldn't have had any credibility if you hadn't included a photo including your socks!
I got a laugh out of that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordialtone View Post

That's why this site is such a GEM. Personally, I think they should have invented the Internet much sooner. I could have saved SO much time!

What's up with that?!
Not so much the internet, but computer programmable scanners. The ability to save a copy of your data or easily modify it is the single most important improvement, along with Alpha Tags.
Old 12-30-2012, 8:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I remember very well that some of the CSPs 42 Mhz. frequencies were also used ( and still being used ) by the Califonia Highway Patrol. During the summer time, sometimes the skip would come in strong and you could hear the CHP clear. It was so bad even the troopers could hear it in their cars. I know because my friend was a rookie Trooper in the 80s and we would sit in his car at his house and listen and get a kick out of it. Man those days were something.vI found my 2002 with the CD still glued to the book!

Manny

Last edited by N1SQB; 03-13-2014 at 6:43 AM..
Old 12-30-2012, 8:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

CD still inside the holder!

Last edited by N1SQB; 03-13-2014 at 6:43 AM..
Old 12-30-2012, 8:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think 2005 was the last year that the Police Call book was printed, actually ScannerMaster is selling CD's for the 2005 year that went in the Police Call books.
Old 12-30-2012, 8:46 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I had the very first programable scanner whcih i got for a christmas gift i dont rememebr what year they came out but it was a black radio shack programmable scanner with rubber duckie antennae and it had no alpha tags all you would see was the frequency and channel number when it stopped on a transmission

i dont have any copies of the police call books anymore but if anyone had them and looked through it would be funny seeing how things were back then--it was so much easier there was no encrytion,no LTR,EDACS or even ef johnsonson systems (like waterbury ct) i wish they woud update the scanner master book because to e that was the best book,it gave all the ct information on the state agencies beyond judt frequencies--i lnow its as easy as looking up the info on the internet but if your out away from a computer-it is easiers to finger through the pages instead of trying to get it up on the iphone
www.rescue9photography.com
Old 12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Engineer - SNE DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Its actually quite good, to keep old directories and guides around. It's an easy way to find a now expired license used by another agency within a town. i.e. a town's DPW using the old PD frequency.

I remember my first scanner that I had, as a teenager, was a 4 channel Radio Shack portable, crystal scanner. And changing the crystals from the county to the city of Springfield when we would go there.
My first programmable scanner was a Regency Z30 scanner. I still have the Z30, and I might have the handheld too. What a difference between the Z30 and the HomePatrol and 996XT.
Old 12-31-2012, 5:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Mike, I remember having a 4 channel crystal portable. I forget which one it was. I did end up buying a 10 channel Pro-48 which I still have. Because of your post, I ended up digging it out of storage and ran into a box with about 25 crystals in it. Talk about a trip back in time! WOW!...I look at those scanners then I look at my 996XT and BCT15X and think just as you did, what a difference! LOL...

Manny
Old 12-31-2012, 7:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

....And in 1993, New Haven still had 33.68 listed as one of their frequencies along with he two old 800 MHz frequencies!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

hey what can I say - lol at least they were clean and no holes-lol
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetnymedic View Post
hey what can I say - lol at least they were clean and no holes
The Police Call Books, or the socks?

I had a bunch of these - most were green and I don't remember the last year I had/have. Maybe 90-something?

The Radio Shack Scanner I had was programmable - 16 channels with no display if I recall. Must have been a PRO16 or something. To program, you had to look up the frequency, then refer to a chart.

So 42.04Mhz might have been something like 0001110110001001.

Hit PROGRAM - put the switches in the correct in and out position - then hit READ.

Talk about time consuming!

I had a few 4 and 8-channel crystal-controlled scanners before that. VHF LO/HI Woo Hooo!

Those were great books, like the Yellow Pages, especially with no Internet.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default I remember

2005 was the last year for police call (too bad)
i still use a pro2001, 16 channels with a red led and push switch for each channel and a red led frequency display
Old 01-16-2013, 8:20 AM

I still have a couple copies of those radio shack police call books.
I stopped buying them by the mid nineties because that's when they became completely worthless in my area.