hunter and nelson EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdscan

Look here - New Haven County, Connecticut (CT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Under Meriden:

463.75000/156.7 PL is the EMS Dispatch which it says is used for Hunter's Ambulance
453.32500/192.8 PL is the other Meriden EMS frequency, if you're interested.

However, from what I'm reading, they're on Marcus's statewide LTR Passport system. Not sure if there is anything on those conventional frequencies I listed.

This is the Fairfield County business frequency page: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1532

It shows that:

452.12500/431 DPL and 464.12500 are used for Nelson Ambulance.

However, this page shows some different frequencies for Nelson as well... Connecticut Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

brndnstffrd

Hunters IS on the Marcus system, but it is simulcast on the conventional freqs. The issue is that there is very poor coverage on the simulcast channel and it comes in very poorly here in Middletown, which is bad because we use Hunters for our Ambulance service here. Even THIER portables have trouble operating at times because of all the static. It's kind of funny when you are somewhere and see them and you hear a tone-out by us loud and clear on our channels requesting Hunters, and then you have Hunters dispatching the ambulance on their own channel and all you can hear is static coming from their radios and they look at each other like "What did they say? Where are we going?" Its even worse inside of a building. I have seen them numerous times go in somewhere and they walk over and set their portables on the windowsill with the volume cranked so they can hear if they are dispatched. I am waiting for the day when something happens and their is a big lawsuit filed with someone blaming issues on poor communication.

Also another thing that i have never understood is why we have no direct radio communication between Middletown and Hunters units. In order to communicate with a responding unit, we will have to call in to dispatch, who will then call Hunters and then their dispatch will relay the message to the responding unit. You would think that at the very least that they would have the capability to at least monitor us in the unit. I really never understood why there is not a crossband patch or something in place, or that they would at least have a way to monitor from inside their vehicles.

Last edited:

N1TGE

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Middletown multicasts their dispatches to Hunters on 452.325 or at least they used to.

kmacinct

Also another thing that i have never understood is why we have no direct radio communication between Middletown and Hunters units. .

Dont forget the Middlesex Medics - who run into the same problem, and end up chasing the rigs around the city......

There used to be a convential Frequency for Hunters, and everyone could talk -

With progress, that ended...

brndnstffrd

No, the middlesex medics talk on middletowns freqs all the time communicating with dispatch and the other responding units. Every once in a while they even radio in to dispatch when if they run across something while they are driving around. They almost never have communication issues talking to middletown. Also you can always tell when they are talking because they have a double MDC 1200 burst when they key up in their rig.

And back to hunters, middletown does not simulcast on their freq anymore. Even if we did, it wouldnt help as the recieve from their dispatch on that freq from their transmitter is terrible here in the city.

kmacinct

Re Middlesex
I was refering to talking to the Commercial Ambulance
Middlesex Medics cannot talk to Hunters...
They rely on Fire on scene...
If fire clears, or it's not a fire call - it's a mess....

brndnstffrd

Re Middlesex
I was refering to talking to the Commercial Ambulance
Middlesex Medics cannot talk to Hunters...
They rely on Fire on scene...
If fire clears, or it's not a fire call - it's a mess....

Oh, yea you are correct. I misinterpreted what you were saying. But yes, the entire thing is a mess. Hunters should just ditch Marcus and switch over to a VHF conventional freq just like everyone else in the area. It would make everything so much easier and more organised.

N1TGE

Banned
It's not a double MDC burst. They have RAC repeater access enabled along with PTT ID.

Last edited:

N1TGE

Banned
And back to hunters, middletown does not simulcast on their freq anymore. Even if we did, it wouldnt help as the recieve from their dispatch on that freq from their transmitter is terrible here in the city.

Are you sure? I'm fairly confident hunters acknowledges Middletown's dispatches on 452.325. If thats the case then it could be used similar to in the past at least for Middlesex R5 to Hunter's. Coverage was very good in that area,

Last edited:

brndnstffrd

Im not 100 percent as i don't monitor them anymore due to the constant static on that freq, but i don't remember if they acknowledge middletown on their freq, or on 46.18. I dont rememeber hearing the dispatch from middletown on their freq but i could be wrong. Also, the middlesex medics freq comes in VERY well here. KX booms in here in middletown on the medic freq and on middletown's freq and they have excellent coverage. Everything broadcast from our tower also comes in very well with very good coverage due to the excellent location of the tower. Basically its just Hunter's who's radio situation is a joke.

Overall though, idk. I havent been over to dispatch in a long time and havent talked to any of the dispatchers in a whille so im not really sure what the current state of things are over there, beyond what i have heard over the air, especially when it comes to Hunter's and other third parties communicating with us.

N1TGE

Banned
Yeah I hear ya. Hunters seemed to be doing ok when they had a few conventional repeaters setup. Then that Marcus guy got involved. The last time I ran into a hunters medic he was showing me how his passport portable displayed "searching" continuously. Worked about as good as string and cans.

brndnstffrd

Yeah I hear ya. Hunters seemed to be doing ok when they had a few conventional repeaters setup. Then that Marcus guy got involved. The last time I ran into a hunters medic he was showing me how his passport portable displayed "searching" continuously. Worked about as good as string and cans.

Thats basically the extent of their radio system :roll:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
i am surprised campion and AMR did not take over hunters and nelson's response area these are two great ambulance companies and both have a great radio systems

N1TGE

Banned
Havering a good radio system doesn't make you trump other companies or take them over. Your living in an odd world..

fdscan

I think the whole reason Hunters got into the Marcus statewide system, from what I can tell, was mainly for their limo and transportation divisions, they're not JUST EMS. If you go to their website and click on the "Transportation" and "Limousine" tabs, you'll see that they also run short buses, vans, limo buses, limos, and so on, as a separate business (statewide, I would assume). They probably wanted to have all of the limos and other transportation units be able to talk to each other, or rather to the base, across the state. I guess they thought this would be good for the ambulance division as well... But as you're all saying, the old method was probably better. On their website, it even says "Statewide radio capabilities maximize our ability to keep in touch at all times." under the "Ambulance" tab.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Havering a good radio system doesn't make you trump other companies or take them over. Your living in an odd world..

lol--im sorry I may have not verbalized myself to well-its not because of the radio system I was trying to say campion and amr are big companies AMR is actually bigger and they are nationwide and campion covers Torrington,cheshire and the Waterbury area (I.E.) Waterbury,southbury,middlebury (when middlebury needs backup or transport)im sure hunters and nelson are good too and have not heard any negative about these companies either,just surprised that have not treid obtain the Middletown/meriden area

N1TGE

Banned
Hunter's covers a very large primary area.

Middletown
Middlefield
Berlin
Meriden
Portland
Wallingford (supplement)

I think they even have a presence in New London?

They also offer more services then EMS. I don't think they will be going anywhere anytime soon.

N1TGE

Banned
Old news and bad coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.