Unit IDs for CSP with a BC996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I am considering a BC996XT and have heard that they can now display the Unit Ids. Is this possible for the CSP?

kmacinct

Yes and No,

Yes, it will display the ID of the unit -

But I'm pretty sure you would like it to display the badge number or car number... That is an alais... Doesnt do that......

If you had a TON of fee time, you could sit there and listen to the badge numbers and match them up to the radio ids...... If........

KM

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I am considering a BC996XT and have heard that they can now display the Unit Ids. Is this possible for the CSP?

The troopers do not get dispatched by car number or unit number except for those in example troop a uses the letters AC for the constables for the various towns it patrols ,the trooper are called over the radio by badge number,so if you have friends on the force,ask them for their badge number and then you will know where and heat calls they are going to. I hope this helps

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
The troopers do not get dispatched by car number or unit number except for those in example troop a uses the letters AC for the constables for the various towns it patrols ,the trooper are called over the radio by badge number,so if you have friends on the force,ask them for their badge number and then you will know where and heat calls they are going to. I hope this helps

I know. I was just under the impression that the badge number was displayed. I believe the CSP dispatchers can see what trooper is calling even if no voice is heard. If they can, what do they see? Just a radio ID or badge number?

scanningisfun

I know. I was just under the impression that the badge number was displayed. I believe the CSP dispatchers can see what trooper is calling even if no voice is heard. If they can, what do they see? Just a radio ID or badge number?

The dispatcher will see an alias if one is programmed.

Jacob

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
The dispatcher will see an alias if one is programmed.

Jacob

I'm not sure if I remember correctly from the time I was dispatching for CSP but I believe thee trooper's badge number is programed to be associated with the radio's ID number via the system and not into the actual radio. I may be totally wrong on this since its been a long time since I worked there. I know when a trooper was using a backup radio or car, it would come up with the radio ID if the unit was dis-associated from its previous "user".

I do remember that the constable's portables were programmed with their "xC" number but the cars aliases were programed with the car's actual unit number and not the officer's.

lep

I'm not sure if I remember correctly from the time I was dispatching for CSP but I believe thee trooper's badge number is programed to be associated with the radio's ID number via the system and not into the actual radio.

Excuse my intervention as it has been a Long time since I monitored the CSP during visits there. However, it doesn't seem much different here in Georgia. The dispatcher calls the Trooper by his badge number (here in GA it is also the Official license plate number for marked units). So all I do is log the UIDs on my 996XT and then associate them with the badge number as announced. I use ProScan under "options" allows you to enter an alias for a UID. Then the next time that unit transmits the alias (badge number) appears instead of the UID. Only works of course where/when the same Trooper always uses the same radio. here in GA that is pretty much the case for GSP.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
On the CSP radio system, the radio id is alaised to an alpha numeric text - in the case of CSP units, its the badge number followed by a -P for portable or -M for the car. Other -xx are available depending on the unit type.

Other radios on the CSP system may have other formats.

Cars and radios are swapped around all the time, so what might be radio ID 340623 one day for Trooper Jones may be assigned to someone else next time you see that ID number.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The dispatchers consoles are tied to the main radio database so they will show the alias as entered. The units in the field show the Motorola radio ID.
For example, if the trooper assigned as badge 105 called Troop L from his portable, the dispatcher would see 0105-P while users in the field would see 710641 on their screen.
It is possible that in a system with very few users the aliases could be programmed into each radio but every change would require retouching every radio.
Every class that goes through the academy starts a chain reaction of changes as troopers get issued portables and then cars.
If you use your scanner in a base setup hooked to a computer and you use ProScan, you can set it up see IDs. The downside is you need to program in the entire database of 3000-4000 radios and keep it current to be accurate. Lots of work.

chris

lep

Cars and radios are swapped around all the time, so what might be radio ID 340623 one day for Trooper Jones may be assigned to someone else next time you see that ID number.

My goodness, that must be a pain for listeners. Glad down here in a much larger State (GA is the largest state East of the MS river) we do not swap the radios and cars like that. As I mentioned Marked, Official cars have the license plate that is the Badge number so the Trooper 'takes the car home with him when off duty.'

I do use ProScan and as much as possible have the Troopers in my Post logged into the software. Here we have a 700 MHz P-25 system.

I realize this is off topic and you are discussing the CSP so excuse the intervention but I like to learn how it works in other places, as you never know when that odd bit of info will come in handy.

cg

Premium Subscriber
They aren't swapped all that often but since every trooper is issued a vehicle with a mobile as well as a portable, there are quite a few radios out there. Between radio repairs, new vehicles, new radios and new troopers, the aliases are constantly being updated.

Also as an aside, Troop C, D, E, & K are now all dispatched out of the Troop C (Tolland) Barracks.

chris

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
They aren't swapped all that often but since every trooper is issued a vehicle with a mobile as well as a portable, there are quite a few radios out there. Between radio repairs, new vehicles, new radios and new troopers, the aliases are constantly being updated.

Also as an aside, Troop C, D, E, & K are now all dispatched out of the Troop C (Tolland) Barracks.

chris

Yes but they still their own Troop. Just dispatch consolidated however there is still a dispatcher for each troop.

kmacinct

chris

Separate Call Takers and Radio Dispatchers.
Roll of the dice on call takers who you get - they just answer the next call and enter into the CAD - that populates a pending event for each 'troop' dispatcher.

Loosing a ALOT of local knowledge and PERSONAL service.

.02c

cg

Premium Subscriber
No more than when someone retires and a person that lives 20 miles away takes the job. I understand your point, but it is a fact of modern life that computers and remote connectivity will allow efficiency (and penny pinching) to take precedence.
Wait until they get the 911 center consolidation bill pushed through and there are only 3 or 4 911 centers for all the towns less than 40K population.

chris

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Separate Call Takers and Radio Dispatchers.
Roll of the dice on call takers who you get - they just answer the next call and enter into the CAD - that populates a pending event for each 'troop' dispatcher.

Loosing a ALOT of local knowledge and PERSONAL service.

.02c

Now that they consolidated will it change the ids on the system? so now you can hear the dispatch for d,e and k on troops c dispatch channel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.