RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 11:48 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The FCC isn't up to much enforcement these days, but it's going to be an absolute pleasure to watch them get off their butts and hunt this person down!
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2014, 12:12 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeportland View Post
Whoever's doing that should go to jail forever and maybe the death penalty
Ha. The death penalty that don't work In ct there still some real doozies on death row for the past 20 years but they should keep him in jail for 50 years,this guy must live in litchfield county because there is no reports of him doing it in any of the other 7 counties in the state.i also heard that some systems in the state can recognize the radio is not authorized and the radio techs can send out a signal and kill the radio.i don't know how true that is but obviously LCD does not have that feature,it would be nice to kill his radio
www.rescue9photography.com

Last edited by firerick100; 01-11-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 PM

The one Audio clip, it sounds like he has MDC.. They could also Kill the radio using the MDC Id, and he won't be able to do it anymore.
Old 01-11-2014, 1:35 PM

additional recordings released:

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/pu...gine1audio.wav

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/pu...ncar1audio.wav
Old 01-11-2014, 1:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A) He seems to use upper number units, wouldn't Car 1 be a chief ?
B) I don't think the MDC tones are his, I think they are LCD's
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 AM

This guy needs a battery charger hooked to a few places......WOW....oddly there's a person whom has a radio local here to me....whom keeps showing up on PD channels and other places.....dummy forgot to shut off the "touch tone" key up tones.....easy to track them down...
Old 01-13-2014, 8:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Its just a matter of time!

This idiots' living on borrowed time! His days are numbered. The best thing that law enforcement has done is release the tapes with his voice. The more that his voice is played over and over, the more leads that will be developed. Sooner or later, law enforcement will hit pay dirt.

Manny
Old 01-13-2014, 8:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
This idiots' living on borrowed time! His days are numbered. The best thing that law enforcement has done is release the tapes with his voice. The more that his voice is played over and over, the more leads that will be developed. Sooner or later, law enforcement will hit pay dirt.

Manny
Aren't you making a big assumption, being so certain it's his voice? How do you know it's not a recording of another person, a previous recording from the system itself, etc?
Old 01-13-2014, 9:12 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1NTG View Post
Aren't you making a big assumption, being so certain it's his voice? How do you know it's not a recording of another person, a previous recording from the system itself, etc?
I don't understand what you mean in that first question however as far as being a recording, I doubt it. If it was a recording from the system itself, then any experienced dispatcher at LCD would recognize the voice. You do that job long enough you start to recognize voices and as far as I know no one does.

Uniden BC355 in the truck, a BC350A hosting a feed a BC125AT playing several rolls, and now a BCD536HP.
Sponsored links

Old 01-13-2014, 9:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I think you're making an even bigger assumption that it's not the voice of the fake call. Why would law enforcement put that recording out to the public for identification if it weren't the voice from the fake transmission. Are you saying the dispatchers wouldn't know the difference??

Old 01-13-2014, 9:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdscon View Post
I think you're making an even bigger assumption that it's not the voice of the fake call. Why would law enforcement put that recording out to the public for identification if it weren't the voice from the fake transmission. Are you saying the dispatchers wouldn't know the difference??

I'm saying that at this moment we have no way of knowing for certain that the individual transmitting and the voice being transmitted are the same. Possible? Yes. Probable? Most likely. Certain? Absolutely not.
Old 01-13-2014, 9:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
I'm saying that at this moment we have no way of knowing for certain that the individual transmitting and the voice being transmitted are the same. Possible? Yes. Probable? Most likely. Certain? Absolutely not.
The transmissions are too clear to have been recorded, then broadcast over a radio.

Uniden BC355 in the truck, a BC350A hosting a feed a BC125AT playing several rolls, and now a BCD536HP.
Old 01-13-2014, 9:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatcher812 View Post
The transmissions are too clear to have been recorded, then broadcast over a radio.
What about recorded separately and played back afterwards? Years ago, I ran into a similar problem on a private VHF system we used at a summer camp. Found a 'neighbor' with a tape loop feeding into a VHF base, guess he was too lazy to jam with his own voice

EDIT- Forgot to add that this guy travelled often, left the tape running and tried to use his travel as an alibi. Smart, but not smart enough.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Look, Im not going to get into a discusion over this with you but here is my reply to your question. What you are suggesting is along the lines of conspiracy theories.Did someone record someone else's voice? I doubt it. A previous recording from the system itself? No! All the recordings have the same exact voice. One call or ten, it does not matter. One disruptive call is a crime all by itself. One disruption, one time that he put some first responders at risk, qualifies as a crime worthy of punishment. The cold hard facts are that we have an individual, who for whatever reason has taken it upon himself to disrupt and interfere with the valuable lives of the men and women who put THEIR lives on the line, day in and day out, responding to what they believe to be genuine calls for help. The fact that nobody has gotten hurt over this is miraculous. This individual needs to be stopped before someone does end up getting hurt or even killed. This person, once caught, needs to be made a poster child example for any other idiots out there who may want to copy cat what has been done. It's time people understood and appreciated the value of the lives of our first responders! Unless you have ever been in a job where your radio is your lifeline, you can never truly understand the seriousness of what this idiot is doing!

Manny

Last edited by N1SQB; 01-13-2014 at 12:02 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 1:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
Look, Im not going to get into a discusion over this with you but here is my reply to your question. What you are suggesting is along the lines of conspiracy theories.Did someone record someone else's voice? I doubt it. A previous recording from the system itself? No! All the recordings have the same exact voice. One call or ten, it does not matter. One disruptive call is a crime all by itself. One disruption, one time that he put some first responders at risk, qualifies as a crime worthy of punishment.

Manny
Responses like this (Usually from Extra's) are the reason why this 23-yr old Tech is feeling less and less welcome in the hobby that his grandfather (KA1NTG, SK) instilled in him so well. HAM Radio has no future if every new or young operator is continuously talked down on. I can count on ONE HAND the number of hams that have been friendly to me since I've been licensed. Where's the love? Don't ya'll want this hobby to continue?
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2014, 1:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Responses like this (Usually from Extra's) are the reason why this 23-yr old Tech is feeling less and less welcome in the hobby that his grandfather (KA1NTG, SK) instilled in him so well. HAM Radio has no future if every new or young operator is continuously talked down on. I can count on ONE HAND the number of hams that have been friendly to me since I've been licensed. Where's the love? Don't ya'll want this hobby to continue?
We all want the hobby to continue but it will be people like the idiot doing the fake transmissions that will kill the hobby. Agencies will go encrypted to secure their systems. Manny had a point, what you where suggesting seemed out there. Why go to all that trouble to record and play back? Some wanted to pretend to be someone he is not. As a dispatcher and first responder, this guy needs to be found, yesterday!

Old 01-13-2014, 1:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default time to stop

Time to stop giving the person performing the hacking the Lime-light.

Let the folks find him, charge him, then we can talk about it after it is over.
Old 01-13-2014, 1:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Nothing in my response to you had ANYTHING to do with you being a Ham. Nothing! This has NOTHING to do with Ham radio, unless once the individual is caught, turns out to be a Ham radio operator. So if you have an issue or a gripe that is Ham related, please don't mix it in with this topic. My point has to do with the obvious, this individual needs to be caught and needs to be punished severely for putting people's lives at risk.

Manny
Old 01-13-2014, 3:16 PM
Multistate DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I am pretty sure that this thread has ran its course for now...prob time to move on and/or lock.

For a couple of points made in the last three pages:

1-"P25" in itself does not have the default ability to lock out a radio. On trunked systems, yes. Conventional, only if the radio was programmed to accept the kill or inhibit command.

2-"MDC1200", see above, minus the trunked part

3-Anyone who can read instructions can program a radio... be it a Motorola or a ham radio. Its really not all that difficult. If you can "fill in the blanks" you can program one. Its not rocket science for conventional programming

4-Many ham radios can taken out of band to RX or RX/TX outside its approved emissions. Again, see #3 and do some Google searches

5-Any commercial radio will do "public safety" channels (see #3). The typical exception are the "Bubble pack" GMRS/FRS/MURS preprogrammed radios or the ones that use dip switches to change PL tones. Those are usually dirt cheap and available anywhere - but are not typically programmable to cause a problem.

6-More exposure you give this guy, it will either cause him to stop or cause him to do more. Its a toss up.

7-The audio that you hear out of your scanner is typically (not always) not the same that dispatchers hear on the consoles and are recorded. Dispatchers will hear the input audio, and not the repeated output audio that the field hears. Repeaters and infrastructure will skew the voice heard, but the consoles and the backend equipment may hear the full band audio. Essentially, dispatchers hear a nice crisp voice while repeaters and site equipment with the transmit audio will introduce hum, a more limited audio bandwidth, etc. Not always the case, but is the usually the case. I am sure they have a nice recording of him.

Last edited by PJH; 01-13-2014 at 3:19 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 4:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

PJH is right. Being an experience dispatcher, along with a few other here that still currently work as dispatchers, the audio we hear is different from the scanner. Obviously the audio recordings released are from the dispatch center, you can tell. Having done tape reviews on a lot of incidents and also working for several years in two busy dispatch centers, you do get to know who's voice is who's. That also goes for a new voice, you recognize it off the bat, as well as inconsistencies.

The people who are investigating this at CSP know what they are doing. They are going to use all the resources available and eventually get the person doing this. They done it before, they will get the perp again.
Closed Thread