RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Default Seymour Radio System

Anyone know anything about this system.

I have only been listening to them for a few months but the system sounds like its failing at an alarming rate, I have herd the fire & EMS dispatchers get to the point where you almost can't hear them due to phone line noise, the units just cut out, units on 1 side of town can't talk or hear other units...The PD sounds the best of them all but even that are at the very poor level of system operation

I have caught the dispatchers mention the auto steering is failing or making it hard to hear units, so I'm guessing they have transmitter steering, that in itself is very scary, you really need to know and understand how to set those up and even then their are 100s of things that can make it work poorly.

Its a tight rope with Public safety systems, God forbid someone dies due to the radio system not working and its a known issue, Someone is going to jail.

I'm interested to know if its a Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Tait ?? System. I have a system I do work on that has TX steering and its a 24/7 job to keep it correctly working, we are changing it to a simulcast system soon thank the stars!
Old 04-08-2014, 4:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Well they were working on it all day today so maybe something is in the works.

I know they have a mix of Kenwood and Motorola equipment and im sure others.

This might not be a forum to "Pick" on a towns radio system, discussing areas that you can listen on a scanner would be OK but getting into how poor the system is not really a scanner discussion
Old 04-14-2014, 2:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I believe all the EMS portables are Vertex Standard. That was what I was using when I was a member there and saw a friend of mine the other day with the same radios still.

I know the Dispatch / FD and EMS tower is off of Silvermine Road. Over the years they had some coverage issues as well.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:59 AM

last night or the night before, i was listening on my TH-G71A and PD Station didnt hear a transmission from Main St. to Station. i agree the system is failing at an alarming rate. a few weeks back my uncle was listening with me, we heard static then PD Station said Roger. we looked at each other and said, how the hell do you roger static?? they desperately need a system upgrade
Old 05-12-2014, 12:30 PM

I talked to a cop at Stop & Shop Sunday while riding the hog about it for a few min and he said its been bad for years and they have Quotes to fix it correctly but the town doesn't want to spend the money. I guess from what he said one of the fire chiefs who doesn't work in communications thinks he knows everything about communications and the rest of the dumb dumbs list to him.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:54 PM

I bet they fix it after they dont hear a call for backup on a bad call. Really bad they have the quotes but town wont spend SMH.