858.2375 Derby, Ct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
It is used by Derby OEM when they are in operation. I believe its in their trailer and they have a few portables. I've heard them use it a couple times but nothing recent.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
That frequency was licensed when the former director of OEM ( Vinny Vizzo ) was there a few years ago before his passing. ( Silent Key KB1PFO ) It is a Motorola repeater housed at the Hotchkiss Hose firehouse on David Humphrey road and the antenna is on their tower right at the firehouse. The trailer Izzy made reference to, is privately owned. It is a mobile communications trailer in every sense of the word. I have not been part of Derby OEM for a while now so I don't know exactly how often the trailer or the frequencies are used. The portables we used when the repeater was first set up were Motorola MT2000s I believe.The first picture is of Vinny, the former Director of OEM and the second is of the trailer, which at one point was affiliated with a local Amateur radio club. The last picture gives you a preview of the inside of the trailer. The man pictured inside is the owner Chris Burns, W1HVN, an EXCELLENT person in every sense of the word. Can't say enough good things about him. He is responsible for ALL the work and installs done on the trailer, and responsible for most of the work related to the 800 MHz repeater. This picture does not do the trailer justice!

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Manny. Yes that is the one I witnessed a while back. I was even able to walk in it. I remember seeing Vinny somewhere- maybe outside at the trailer or inside the building.
Sorry to hear he is a SK
Bob

Thanks Bob! Yeah, Vinny had a real vision for the department. He incorporated both Hams and non-Hams alike into the OEM environment. In his eyes, everyone was useful for something! After he passed, the new director did NOT share the same ideas. That's where I got off the train! ....

Manny

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
The last picture gives you a preview of the inside of the trailer. The man pictured inside is the owner Chris Burns, W1HVN, an EXCELLENT person in every sense of the word. Can't say enough good things about him. He is responsible for ALL the work and installs done on the trailer, and responsible for most of the work related to the 800 MHz repeater. This picture does not do the trailer justice!

Manny

Yes I met Chris at the Coast Guard open house a couple of years ago. He was manning the trailer exactly as he is in that photo!
Very nice gentleman for sure.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.